NCP Parking Fine

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently parked in an NCP controlled car park in the centre of Glasgow. I went to the ticket machine that was 5 feet in front of my car, paid for the ticket, displayed it and left.

When I returned I was shocked to find a fixed penalty stuck to my windscreen, only about a foot away from where my prepaid ticket was clearly displayed. I managed to track down the attendant and ask him how he made the mistake. As it turns out, I apparently used the wrong machine. Even though it was only 5 feet from my car (directly in front), it was actually a council machine for parking on the street. There was no signage to state it's a different area and no fence to seperate the car park from the street. Afterwards, I noticed the NCP machines within the car park but they were much further from where I parked. Before moving my car, I took lots of photos that clearly show where I was parked and the location of the machines, etc.

When I got home I immediately wrote to appeal the ticket and included copies of the pictures I took. I just returned from two weeks away to find a generic letter (with one small specific paragraph jammed in) saying that they refuse to overturn the fine.

As I was away, the 14 days have already passed so I am no longer eligible for the lower price for early payment so I am considering taking my appeal further.

If anyone has done this, I would love to hear about your experiences, etc. Also I'd greatly appreciate and tips and advice that may help me not just beat this unfair fine, but make NCP and the council improve the fencing and signage so that others don't let others be mislead too.

Thanks
Ryan

Comments

• Sir_Roger_deLodger
    Options
    It's not a fixed penalty, or a fine, it is an unenforceable scam invoice. Don't communicate with NCP, they never accept appeals they just want your money. Expect a few threatening letters before they give up.
    Have a look at the parking board here, many threads about NCP and similar scamsters:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

These are the letters you will be ignoring - http://www.violetmount.com/ncpscam.jpg
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hang on, it may be that NCP are acting for the council. OP - do you know if this is a private ticket, or a council ticket from NCP? If it's the latter, you'd be better off posting on https://www.pepipoo.com for some advice.
  • ThePiper_2
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your input.

It says on the top of the ticket. - Parking Contravention Charge Notice and was placed on my car in an NCP controlled or owned car park. I don't know if this changes things.

All advice appreciated.

Ryan
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If it's definitely not a council car park, then simply ignore any letters you get from NCP.
  • ThePiper_2
    Options
    So I have ignored two further letters from NCP and have today just received a letter from a company called Newlyn, stating that they have been instructed by NCP to recover the amount owed which is now up to £142.00. They are threatening the fee will increase and legal action will be taken if I don't pay.

Should I continue to ignore all this?

Thanks
    Ryan
  • NeverAgain_2
    NeverAgain_2 Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    ...Should I continue to ignore all this?...

'Yes' is the short answer.

They will give up eventually.
  • chrisvaldez
    Options
    Just carry on ignoring them. They have their own puppet companies to act as debt collectors.....load of old guff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure