dilemma with older dog

Options

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    I feel for you needssomecash. You know it's coming, it's getting the timing right. I think I mentioned before the twice I've been in your situation, I've erred on the earlier side; last one with fits which came on with increasing frequency just before his 15th birthday. I'm sure he could have managed a bit longer, but it was not pleasant for him and I didn't want him to get to the point where it impacted.

Best of luck to you both.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a massive worry when your dog is old and nearing the end. I was terrified of the manner of their passing - I'd hate them to suffer.

My last dog collapsed and couldn't get up again, on his last day. He was terrified and I blame myself every day that, in my efforts to save him, I let it go that far.
  • Celli
    Celli Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    I make a bargain with all my pets when I first get them that they will never have to suffer because I can't let them go. I try my best to stick to it, but it's damned hard sometimes :(
  • pauletruth
    pauletruth Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    Options
    has the vet done a kidney function test. has the bladder been scanned. honestly i think you should not wait until the end of the month. think the pain meds are hiding the symptoms.
  • needsomecash
    Options
    Hi all

I just wanted to update an post from a few weeks ago.

Our holiday has come around. Over the last few weeks there has been little change in our dog. The bleeding has stopped for now however he is falling over quite a lot and not always eating. His coat has lost its "shine" as well, which the vets say is a sign he is close to the end.

The last few days the little fits he has become more and more often which causes him to fall over and he struggles to get back up. I dont think the heat is helping him much either.

I could probably keep him for another few months but he will only get worse and suffer especially if he made it to winter.

We are going to do the kindest thing and let him go to sleep. The vet is due tomorrow.

Thanks for all the useful advice and posts.
  • Celli
    Celli Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so sorry, but for what it's worth, your doing the best for him, it's not easy, it never is.
    Just think how awful it would have been if he'd taken bad when he was in kennels and you couldn't be there for him.
    Swift and gentle passing for him tomorrow
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    we let our older dog go earlier this year, its very hard and I hope you cope OK.

its so so difficult to decide when the time is right but really only you can decide when the time is right, with hindsight we possibly kept him too long.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really sorry. I do think it's the kindest way to let your dog go though.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
  • eddi
    eddi Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    This is so sad :( it's never easy in the slightest. I've had to make the decision for our dog, cats and our old rabbit over the years and I've never sobbed quite so much in the company of near strangers as when I've had to do this. You can only just be safe in the knowledge that you're doing what's right for him no matter how painful it is for you and that's very brave.
    I feel for you I really do ((hugs))
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    It is probably one of the most horrid choices (if you can call it that) that you will ever make, but you have made the right decision. This way you are around rather than him being in kennels for his last bit of life. For months I would ruminate on whether I put my dog down too early, I had a 'once he has more bad than good days' test for it.....when I look back now I did the right thing and spent months feeling guilty for no good reason. Mine perked up once he realised i'd been to the pet crem to look at what I wanted to do (I swear to god they know exacly what's going on)......so it ended up being a few weeks after that. I cooked up a sausage storm for his last meal and some ice-cream. If he feels like eating give your boy his favorite food for brekkie tomorrow and rest in the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.

And enjoy your holiday, you deserve it after this.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure