Correct paint for timber decking

Options

Comments

• jockster211
    Options
    Hi All,

for any paint or stain to 'bond' to the timber it should generally be as dry as possible with no rain for 3-4 days beforehand. Also depends if the deck faces northerly then it may take a little longer to dry out, and even morning dew can stop paint or stain bonding properly. After application it needs to be dry for 2-3 days. The biggest challenge for us Brits is getting a week of dry weather:mad: .

I do a lot of decks and I always let the timber season (6-12months), then clean/treat in warm dry weather:cool: . I've added a link to the stuff I use (never had a problem with it) which is more of a treatment stain than a paint. It ain't cheap, but is considered the Rols-Royce of timber treatment products.

http://www.owatrol.uk.com/index.html

Jockster
    Nothing is easy........'til you find out how!
  • anewpensioner
    Options
    Thanks for that link Jockster. My decking is rather aged now and I was considering renewing most of it, but a friend in the USA said he paints his decking about once every six years and it looks good for that period of time. I'm talking about the rails and balustrade because the actual planks that the grandkids play on I think would get rather heavy wear and no amount of painting would protect it or make it stay looking good! I did once see a decking in the States that looked as if it was painted in plastic!!! I was assured that it was wood with a protective treatment - I suppose really we could go on forever trying to get the ultimate decking treatment.
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Has anayone any updated info on treating decking???? I had my decking done last year and didnt get around to doing anything with it, I have looked at various products but not sure what to use
  • anewpensioner
    Options
    I have just completed my teak furniture using OWATROL Textrol as recommended in a previous post and in my opinion it is the best product I have ever used. The furniture came up looking as new. I jetwashed it first. A tip maybe is to use a mohair application pad - not the smooth variant, instead of a brush ( I used the one from a previous wasted tin of Ronseal), it spread the oil great and was completed in super fast time especially the slatted chairs! Now going to attempt the decking with Net-trol to clean and Textrol to protect. If you need advice I found the guys at Igoe International (use the link above) to be extremely helpful.
  • TinTin_57
    TinTin_57 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting thread. I used Ronseal Decking paint last year on our brand new decking and like others here I haven't been impressed at how it's started to wear away. Only last week while B&Q had their 10% off promotion we bought some Cuprinol to try but looking on this thread i may just have exactly the same issues come next year as with the Ronseal!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used Wilkinsons decking oil and its lasted about 18 months it doesn't get a lot of wear and tear on the decking. I am looking for a product that has more stain but yet retains a light look and will last

I did clean decking with a power washer than scrubbed any green bits with bleach
  • vazzavazza
    Options
    I would get it professionally finished, i work in the paint industry and wash my hands of any product like cuprinol/ronseal etc. They can only last a couple of years max in this weather. a professional exterior waterbased coating will last up to ten years and look great.

If you are doing it yourself, use a stain before a clear varnish as it will improve UV stability. Still not ideal though.
  • vazzavazza
    Options
    As far as brush-on products go, Sickens is the industry leader and you can get it from the Crown dealers. It's probably the best thing you can buy outside of the trade.
  • Robertf
    Robertf Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    linseed oil does a decent job but you need to recoat it every year. Lots less work than painting though, you can just wipe it on with a rag.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think its Sikkens they call it http://www.sikkens.co.uk/

Looks like this is the product

http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products/Alphabetical/CetolHLS.htm

Its pricey too http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIKHLS/

Saw some one of a forum claim that even sikkens say it wont last that long on decking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure