Toilet cistern not filling with water - help!

Options
Hey All

Woke up this morning and our toilet won't flush. The cistern is of the concealed variety and it behind a panel which we have removed but the gap between the top of the cistern is so tight that we have to use a mirror to see inside! Closer inspection shows the cistern isn't filling with water. We filled the cistern up using the shower and it flushes fine, but for some reason won't refill.

Anyone any ideas on how to fix or what might be causing it? Would rather try ourselves that foot the bill of a plumber at the moment.

Thanks,

FTB83

Comments

• EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Valve is almost certainly stuck in up position and not letting water pass. Best to isolate the inlet and remove the cistern to examine/replace as necessary. Easy job to do if you have a few basic tools.
  • imnoexpert_3
    imnoexpert_3 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi FTB83,

Is the ballcock stuck at it's highest position? if so try pushing it down, does water come in now?

Is the inlet blocked? try scraping it with a blunt instrument.

try these first.
    The more you listen the more you hear
    The more you look the more you see

The more you search the more you find
    M.S.E is great and FREE so let's all make the most of it it
  • FTB83
    FTB83 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for these. Will give both a go and report back. Hopefully it is something easy to fix!

Concealed cisterns look great but are an a*se to get to when something innevitably goes wrong!

FTB83
  • mousegreatest388
    Options
    Also if you have an isolator valve on the inlet pipe - check that someone hasnt played with it and closed it off.
  • Eyesparky
    Eyesparky Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    If none of the above work, if the cistern has a filter on the inlet, unscrew it and give it a clean. This can often do the trick.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    wiggle the ball cok rod up and down may free the valve off.
    if repairing then replace the old type with the new silent type. ive got one and its much better. quieter and faster to fill.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100996&ts=36065&id=55211
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family