Where can I get a free copy of my decree absolute?

Options

Comments

• kitty_cat_2
    kitty_cat_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I had to pay £40 for a replacement copy of my absolute, that was 3 years ago. However, I was in a bit of a panic because I was getting re-married a week later. Oh, and i eventually found the original about a year later when I was looking for something else! Not very money saving!:o
  • firefly1971
    Options
    I was burgled a couple of years ago and after searching for mine (because an insurance company never changed to my married details) over the weekend, I decided to phone the solicitors and ask how I get a copy quickly.

My absolute came through in 2007 and they still have it on file and can have it ready for me in 24 hours for a £10 fee. Much better than £40.
  • ding1981
    ding1981 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2012 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Only use the General Registry Office or the registry office where you were born. You can apply over the internet via the GRO.

Having had the misfortune of working for one of the certificate replacement services for a couple of months, I can wholeheartedly say they are an absolute scam.
  • smiley1967
    Options
    I need a copy of my DA too, just been looking on GRO site and can't see it listed as an option - marriage/birth/adoption and death certificates yes, but decree absolutes I can't find on there...am I missing something?
  • ljbnotts
    ljbnotts Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    GRO don't issue decree absolutes, only Birth, death and Marriage certs. As stated above you need to apply directly to the county court in which the divorce was heard.
  • booma_mitch
    Options
    My old clients used to ring me all the time for copies of the decree absolute off of the file. Solicitors have to keep files for a minimum of 6 years for divorce cases, more if there are children. So first port of call should be your solicitor, who can do you a copy which you can then take to court to be sealed. There didn't used to be a charge for this from the court, and I never charged my clients for sending a copy out.

Failing that, contact the court with the case number and they should be able to arrange to send one out, for a small fee (£5 sounds about right). I think the £40 is for when you don't know the case number so they have to search for the names etc.

Good luck
  • rentawitch
    Options
    I want to revert to my maiden name and have neither, birth or marriage certificates nor any divorce documents. I left my husband in 1981 and he divorced me sometime in the next 10 years. Don't know the court or anything.

How can I find documents? Is there a central archive of dissolved marriages?

Thanks.
    Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
    20ps and £2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge £167.40/£175

NSD challenge July 9/10
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rentawitch wrote: »
    I want to revert to my maiden name and have neither, birth or marriage certificates nor any divorce documents. I left my husband in 1981 and he divorced me sometime in the next 10 years. Don't know the court or anything.

How can I find documents? Is there a central archive of dissolved marriages?

Thanks.

I don't think you need anything like that to change your name
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your maiden name is always your name.. just start using it, you don't need anything.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Sommer43
    Sommer43 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    I applied to the court for mine. It cost me a fiver. I didn't know the case number and I emailed the court, who sent me the case number and told me to call a number. I had it in less than a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure