Sunflow Electric Heating Systems

Options

Comments

• Mr_Man_Full_of_Love
    Options
    I'm no longer interested in the same pointless waffle being re-hashed. But does anyone else get the feeling the OP might just be a troll or perhaps already registered on the forum under another name who finds the incoherent ranting this subject brings amusing and just layed a trap?
  • The firm would not give us a ball park price and I received a curt email telling me that if I was looking for a cheap heater (I wasn't) then 'they were probably not the firm for us'! I went no further of course. Out of the blue we received call from them offering to come and give a quote with no obligation. I had wanted to save them this job by asking for a price. However, since they offered... A very pleasant man came and gave us all the info and demonstrated his product. Then 'price?' we queried. After much note taking he said £1442!! For one radiator!! I have calculated we could run our oil-filled one 24 hours a day at 1.5kw for 90 days for five years before we would have paid of the cost of the one on offer.
    No wonder they wouldn't give a price.
  • no1fran
    no1fran Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm really grateful to you guys for all these postings. I feel like one 'of the almost conned' crowd. Saw an advert for these heaters in my local council's quarterly mag and thought they seemed a good idea. Looked at their website and was considering contacting them BUT decided to google reviews first. Glad I did and ended up here. So thank you again for all the postings on these heaters and the price too. You have all saved me a lot of wasted time.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yet another first time poster feeling compelled to praise heaters.

Care to tell us how much they cost?

P.S.
    Heater in spare bedroom set to 'Frost' to prevent damp. How does it achieve that aim?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    So, if I plugged in 3 x 1kW electric irons would they heat my living room adequately and cheaply? After all, it seems to me that this is the same schoolboy physics.

The 3 electric irons would not heat the room adequately because they are not designed to deliver a constant 1kW and their thermostat does not work on the air temperature in the room. S

However one thing is absolutely certain, they will give out the same amount of heat, for the same amount of electricity consumed, as your Sunflow heaters.

Aldi had a £20 2kW oil filled radiator(reduced from £30) yesterday, with thermostat(obviously) programable timer and LCD display. That heater will give out exactly the same amount of heat, for the same running cost, as a 2kW Sunflow heater.

Are you still not going to give the price of your heaters? I wonder why not!

Giving your heating bills is absolutely meaningless - what do you think it proves?

Nobody has disputed that the cost of gas/oil boiler replacement and servicing needs to be factored in to running costs - albeit a new boiler every 5-7 years is stretching matters.

Thus, particularly for small properties, and where occupants are out at work all day, electrical heating has a role.

However the point of this and other threads is to point out that all electrical heating is 100% efficient and a £20 heater gives out the same amount of heat as these over-hyped Sunflow heaters.

So Sunflow heaters cost how much?
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Heh Cardew, this could cross over into that infrared thread with directional heating if the irons are steam ones so a quick blast is deployed...combined shower as well...:rotfl:
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • scotia001
    scotia001 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    What a load of ill informed twaddle.

How can anyone suggest that every heater performs with the same degree of efficiency - and for the same cost.

Think about it. If you burn a log on an open grate, it will burn quicker and with less efficiency than the same log in a wood burning stove, it will also produce more heat too. So how can the same log produce 2 different results? Surely that proves that different heaters DO produce different results too - think about it!

Incidently, custard, water and other nonsence are NOT good conductors of heat, ever thought why they bother to use clay in kilns.

So it follows that a cheap B&Q fan heater will NOT perform as well or as cheapley as a thermaly insulated heater, which will use less than half the energy (electricity) for more heat and covering a larger area.

The placement of the heater is another factor, as is the room's level of insulation etc, all of which MUST be considered when chossing a heater.

Think of it like this. You want a car to get you from A to B .... would you REALLY not look at the running and service costs first? Cheap heaters cost more in real terms because they break down easier and ARE less efficient in terms of running costs and durability.

You get what you pay for.
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2012 at 9:29AM
    Options
    The 3 electric irons would not heat the room adequately because they are not designed to deliver a constant 1kW and their thermostat does not work on the air temperature in the room.

So different designs do a better or worse job of producing heat and controlling that heat?

Of course they do. Using the criteria of 100% of the electricity is converted to heat is not the full story. None of us really know how effective different designs are, well none of the vocal people can come up with any true evidence.

For example, why buy an oil filled radiator instead of a convector?

I'd buy an oil filled radiator for my house because I could fix it to a wall that may have curtains drawn near it, or because the brackets are stronger....have you seen Dimplex convector brackets? Cheap, weak and bend very easily if a 5 year old leans on them.

Some people prefer the radiant heat of an oil filled radiator.

I'd buy a fan assisted electric radiator maybe for my shed because it will throw the heat where I want it.

I would maybe buy a more expensive radiator if I was assured it had a good thermostat -again my Dimplex convectors are absolutely rubbish as the thermostat is housed within the airflow area, and the warmest part of the room is at the top. So until the air about 1ft from the floor is warm they keep running. Maybe more expensive ones have a better design?

It is not as simple as you make out Cardew, and sometimes your way of speaking to people that ask about electric heating is quite condescending.
    Heh Cardew, this could cross over into that infrared thread with directional heating if the irons are steam ones so a quick blast is deployed...combined shower as well...

Oh, and you can come up with the calcs and theory that define efficient use of infra red heating panels.....can you?

My friends had night storage heaters which they replaced with Sunflow heaters. Winter quarter - 2464 units in 2011 compared with 6673 units in 2010.

Straighttalk, the unit difference may be down to the storage heaters using a lot of night time electricity on an E7 tariff, which when broken down could be similar in price overall. I guess with old storage heaters they would need boosting, and so newer electric radiators running to create a similar amount of heat may use less units, but at a higher rate.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2012 at 10:12PM
    Options
    Still not willing to buy one.

I don't need to do the math and come up with the calcs since I'm not trying to sell the product! Besides, you could just read the other thread yourself.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Graham1962
    Options
    I also found this forum by looking for a review of Sunflow.
    I have been trying to post some questions in the consumer rights section, but after posting three times, it still hasn't shown up.

Fishybusiness, I do agree with what you say about differences in heaters and I will be buying some good quality heating, but I would like to know what the price was for your Sunflow radiators?

I have been in communication with Sunflow for a couple of weeks and they refuse to give even an indication of a price for any of their radiators. Two other companies did, but not Sunflow. They say I have to accept a visit from their engineer (salesman) and will not give a price beforehand - even though I said I didn't want to waste their time if it is out of my budget.

My question was simple: ~I have had a price for this size radiator from two other companies. What is your price?

Sunflow say this question is impossible to answer - but the person who visits can tell me once they do a survey. I don't want a survey, just the price. If the price is ok, then I will have the visit if I have to.

Does a specific product, by law, have to have an advertised, or RRP guide price allocated to it before I the consumer have to commit, or enter into any negotiations in my home. (?)

Another question I wanted to ask in the consumer rights section = Should they have to divulge the name of the manufacturer? After all they are just a reseller. As the warranty is a big part of it and the radiators are made by a superior manufacturer apparently, I want to know who the warranty is from and who made it. How can I compare a price with other suppliers, look for reviews, recalls, or see who the warranty comes from. Shouldn't I be legally allowed to know this information up front before I pay?

Does anyone know if a reseller is legally obliged to supply this information on price or manufacturer when asked? If so, I will go back to them and demand it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure