Countdown to Freedom

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'll PM you with more questions as I don't want to drive people mad with my inane questions.
    Doesn't usually stop you :rotfl:.

Another vote for keeping it on the thread - this can be my vicarious smallholder thread :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    What a random, mad collection of people we are - I'll keep all the questions on my diary :)

Apologies up front Eager Elephant for driving you mad :)

Best wishes Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Are you set up as a business to sell?

Hi Tilly,

Long time reader of your diary and noticed your question about eggs! I dont personally do it, however my mum has chickens and sells them from a dispenser at the end of her driveway. My step dad built it out of old aldi shopping trolleys (for the £1 latches that chain the trolleys together) and wood.

They sell about 10 boxes of 6 a day, so its a very profitable side business!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • unhappy_shopper
    Options
    Out of interest, if anyone who reads my MF diary keeps a small holding, I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks, Tilly x

Tilly, there is a daydreaming thread in the Greenfingers section. They do talk about smallholding and other related stuff :)
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Morning Eager_Elephant, thanks SO much for stopping by.

How many acres do you have? we have about 4 acres which is split into 2 fields, 1 we keep for grazing the lambs and one for everyone else
    Have you felt the need to be organic? Sorry if I upset anyone but I'd just be happy to say free range to people.We have never felt the need to be organic, the feed is much more expensive and not easily sourced in our area so we just buy normal feed. It doesn't seem to put people off.
    Are you set up as a business to sell? DH is registered as self-employed as selling free range eggs and meat. If it's just a hobby you don't need to be registered as self-employed unless you make loads of money.
    We are also registered with Defra for all our animals so we have a CPH number which means we can move stock (you must have this for goats/sheep/pigs/cattle etc) on and off our land. We are also registered for the birds even though we are now under the limit of 50 so we get updates same day for issues like bird flu and other things that might affect us.

Do you find geese eggs sell well? That's just me being nosy, unlikely to have any :o They sell really well, they fly off our little stall. The problem is that geese only lay a few eggs a year - the season is very short, usually March - May or June. And they won't lay everyday, we get between 15 - 30 per goose over the laying season.
    They are utterly delicious but so filling, it is mainly yolk with hardly any white. They are brilliant in cakes (as are duck eggs). 1 goose egg equates to 3 hens eggs.

We didn't mean to have as many geese as we have (21), it started off with 2 which my DH and DB got me for my birthday - it wasn't really but they went to an auction and accidentally bid on 2:rotfl:
    Then we thought we might do geese for Xmas (along with the turkeys) so we brought some from a supplier and let them breed but the geese are so lovely with quirky personalities that we couldn't bear to kill them and gradually we have brought more or they have hatched their own. Just recently we got 3 more as rescues and a few years ago our population increased by 2 overnight (we think someone dumped them on our field:mad:)

I'll PM you with more questions as I don't want to drive people mad with my inane questions.

Many thanks Tilly x x

As JimLad said about selling, we have a stall at the front on the house which we put our eggs on and we have an honesty box - it's usually fine and we get our money.

The meat we sell to friends and family and we keep a lot for ourselves. We have the meat slaughtered at the abattoir and butchered by a great guy who also labels etc so we conform to current regulations.

We sometimes breed chickens for meat - this is for our own consumption so DH kills them and I help pluck.

I follow a blog - Frugal in Suffolk - her and her husband run a campsite and sell chicken eggs, she has hundreds of chickens at various ages to keep her egg stall fully stocked. They make thousands every year just from eggs.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Posts: 7,833 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 November 2014 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Morning, payday shuffle no. 2 is here :dance::dance::dance:

Mortgage is down to under £128k :T

All savings pots are being topped up each month again and offsets against the mortgage.

Car maintenance
    Fuel
    Household bills / insurance, repairs
    Clothing
    Dental
    Kids birthdays
    Our birthdays
    Holidays
    Christmas
    Subscriptions
    Portugal
    MOS
    Entertainment
    Animals
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    Hi Tilly,

Long time reader of your diary and noticed your question about eggs! I dont personally do it, however my mum has chickens and sells them from a dispenser at the end of her driveway. My step dad built it out of old aldi shopping trolleys (for the £1 latches that chain the trolleys together) and wood.

They sell about 10 boxes of 6 a day, so its a very profitable side business!
    Thanks for delurking and feel free to delurk more often, although my diary seems to roam around multiple topics, not just mortgage freedom :)

Sounds like your dad may be more practical than my lovely Mr T, although saying that he has performed marvels in the garden this weekend.

I have realised that I have a ready market for my extra fruit, veg and eggs when I move abroad and that's quite tempting.

Pigs are really tempting me and I'm going to see if I can find a smallholder with experience and speak to them. With the power of the WWW that must be possible :)

Drop in whenever you're passing.

Tilly x
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning Eager Elephant, thanks for replying, I have the feeling you may be receiving a lot of interest :)

On average per year, how many vet call outs do you have, and if you don't mind sharing, what's the average cost per visit?

How many animals do you need to keep your family and friends in meat? I'm thinking here of the sheep you keep occasionally. I'm going to investigate how much meat a pig yields - now I need to find a butcher to talk to. Goodness, this MF journey certainly spans multiple topics :rotfl:

More questions to come - I have the same amount of land and its split into sections, which would enable me to have a poultry area, my fruit and veg, then around a 2.5 acre field for something else.

The fruit and veg area needs a lot of work, although the trees are well established now, the whole area needs more work but as we are not there it is tended twice a week on average. We will definitely be picking fruit and veg 12 months of the year once we move:)

I'm looking at some courses for us to consider - as we are planning ahead here, we have time on our side to learn and explore.

Best wishes Tilly x x
  • Poppy_Golightly
    Options
    I've thought about a smallholding too. I couldn't raise any animal to be slaughtered as I am an animal lover and vegetarian. So I would probably keep sheep for wool. Knitting is big business these days and British wool is making a well deserved comeback. I know they would all end up with names too :). I also suppose I'd have to learn sheep shearing as well!

Also free range chickens for eggs.
    Flowers are sunshine for the soul
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An online friend of mine on another forum breeds rabbits for meat - not on a commercial basis, so the output isn't as high, she likes to "rest" the does who give birth. She keeps the skins to work too :o I'm vegetarian too so its quite hard to hear sometimes, but its definitely doable, she only started up about 6 months ago.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure