Options
2»

Comments

• Mr_Thrifty
    Mr_Thrifty Posts: 756 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2009 at 8:20AM
    Options
    Hey there.

Let's be careful making assumptions, and get some rigorous logical reasoning back into our thinking here.

Allow me to assist with the logical reasoning via an application of 'set theory'.

Basically, just because Orange state that the Unique Phone service offers you the ability to use their UMA service via Orange Broadband, that does not imply that you cannot therefore use it via other Broadband providers. This is an important point, and is the sort of statement that often fools the masses.

And indeed, stating that you need to have an activated Orange Wireless Broadband service in order to make and receive calls over the Orange Wireless Broadband Network is a statement that affects only those people who wish to use the Orange Wireless Broadband Network. People who use other ISPs such as Tiscali would not be affected by this statement, because of course you do not need an activated Orange Wireless Broadband service in order to make calls over the Tiscali network (for example).

These are subtle but important points.

Further, my statements are supported by empirical evidence. Orange DO let you use UMA via other broadband providers.

I don't think you need to read too much into the fact that they refer to Orange products a lot in their literature. How can I explain this? It's like when you buy a Panasonic TV and they state that you need to use Panasonic AA batteries in the remote control. We all know you can use any AA batteries, but they are just refering to their own product because, well, that's what they sell.

UMA is a superb service and highly recommended. The only significant downside in my opinion is that it limits handset choice.

Thanks for listening, and have a logical day. :beer:
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Mr_Thrifty wrote: »
    Allow me to assist with the logical reasoning via an application of 'set theory'.

Logic and Mobile company contracts do not sit well together. Readiong Oranges site this is a service for business only, although I suspect individuals can use it too. I'd not be rushing to base anything on logic with a phone company, as the T&C say it can only be paired to one router at a time too, and not public WIFI , so only useable in a set areas (sound like the old rabbit system)

Whilst you may be able to use the service over other broadband providers, it appears a proviso that you have the Orange service at home.

Do you have Orange Unique Phone?

If so do you have Orange Broadband at home and a Orange Live box?

Unless your using Orange Unique phone without an Orange broadband at home we can't base this on any evidence so far. I suspect you need an active Orange BB line to get the service setup and activated, although you may be able to access it from other locations. It could also be Orange's T&C are wrong and you just need a UMA compatable mobile.

Remember Orange still need to be in the loop somewhere to transfer incoming calls to the Broadband side, and outgoing calls to the landline interface so they control all the options.
  • Mr_Thrifty
    Options
    Yes I agree that logical and mobile phone companies don't sit well together! Haha, sometimes those lousy phone companies just do my head in, especially with their complicated pricing plans. You gotta love them for the convenience etc, but they still do your head in from time to time.

Anyhow, I do have Unique Phone and use it on a non-Orange wi-fi. It is available to domestic as well as business customers. Using orange broadband is not a requirement, although if you ask them they will no doubt recommend that everyone uses Orange Broadband because that's what they sell. The call just gets routed through a secure connection to an Orange server on the net. The call quality is superb. Note that even though it goes through your wi-fi, you still get charged for usage (or it comes out of your inclusive minutes). I'm not sure how many different networks you can pair it to at a time, I imagine this is a function of the handset rather than unique. It is awesome and solved all the problems I had with lousy reception at home. Orange now make me feel all warm and cosy inside. :T
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Mr_Thrifty wrote: »
    Anyhow, I do have Unique Phone and use it on a non-Orange wi-fi. It is available to domestic as well as business customers.

My apologies I'll stand corrected.

Have you ever had orange BB?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family