PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2015

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have been off work again today and spent a good chunk of the day with my gran. It was a beautiful day again so we sat in her garden enjoying the sun.

This evening me and OH had baked tatties for tea so while the oven was on, I made a banana loaf using up some very past it bananas. OH is out with friends this evening so I'm enjoying the peace and quiet :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 April 2015 at 2:51PM
    Same here, misstara. DH at work and I've taken possession of the remote control in his absence. Blissfully quiet. :D

No spends today. :T

THUR 9 APR
    DAY 9

Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers Spent - £0
    Money Spent in Total - £23.09 Vouchers Spent in Total - £0
    Money left in purse - £3.91 - Float left- £6.40/£15
    Jan non-foods left- £8.18/£15

NSD

Only got through half of my seed sowing I'd wanted to do today but still very pleased. Gaillardia Goblin (blanket flower) are new to me but I couldn't resist sowing some of these. I love hot colours.
    Gaillardia--Goblin--by-Sarah-s-Yard.gif
  • kittym
    kittym Posts: 47 Forumite
    Morning peeps

Well I've finally caught up with all your posts. I, very successfully after my last post, some how got myself tangled up with the laptop charger and went a*se over t*t and managed to break the charger. No mending this time. It cost £20 :eek: to replace. I never realised just how much I rely on the laptop for my patterns, recipes, finding things out etc. I may have to eat humble pie with DD as I sometimes complain when she moans when she has no charge on her gadgets.

I'm shocked to read about all the haggling and stealing that goes on in CS, but thankfully as someone else posted there are some diamonds who volunteer and donate :A:A

Have a lovely time lyneplatinum. Can you imagine what kind of MMM holiday we would have if we all went on one together :rotfl:
    Well done on the washing machine Jackie, im keeping my bra's out of the machine from now on. I call It sods law in my house as it always seems that when one thing breaks there's always another after it.
    Your going to have some gorgeous flowers this year cheerfulness. I'm still slowly tackling the garden, but for some strange reason I keep stopping and chatting with the neighbours. Ah well it will get done eventually, I do love a chat so it's my own fault really.

Another great day dawning here, lots of bread and biscuits need to be made but I hate putting the oven on when it's so hot outside, but I don't think I can stretch a crust of bread out over the wk end for 2 of us.
    Hope you all enjoy the sunshine what ever your up to. xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good Morning everyone I actually got to see my youngest DD yesterday evening, she works quite long hours as a letting agent/estate agent so often doesn't get home until after I have gone home.
    She came in wih a big smile and hug for me and a cuddle for fixing the W/M. She too apparently had been fretting about the cost of a new machine . I now have a new nick-name apart from Frau Frugal I am also Granny Fix-it :):):):).
    Took two of my younger DGS down to the Country Park yesterday afternoon, and they soon ran some steam off playing football and climbing a couple of trees:)
    The eldest boy is 15 and far too 'cool' for things of that nature :):):)he had gone out with some of his school pals .I think he is also going off out today as well so it will just be Henry ,Mikey and I.

I know Mikey wants to make some cookie milkshakes today and I may take to both of them to Capstone Park for a change this afternoon.
    Yesterday morning whilst the gardener was doing the garden my eldest DD arrived bearing a big bag of clothes that her eldest Danny had grown out of. Henry soon nabbed some tee shirts and shorts for the summer, leaving several really nice designer shirts for his old brother Ben.

My DDs son likes to spend his cash on over-priced designer stuff which gets passed down to the boys as often he forgets to wear them and they just sit in the cupboard:)
    Henry was a happy boy as a lot of it fitted him:) 'Superdry tee shirts and several pairs of really nice shorts.

One pair of Levis were OK round the waist, but a little long but as Henry is shooting up he has nabbed them as they will fit him by the winter.The shirts, Ben will have as they are Ralph Lauren etc and came for NYC when Danny was there last year,one of them he bought then stuck it in the cupboard and changed his mind about it.

Danny used to work in TV then last year started working in the city and earns pretty good money .So tends to spend it on clothes and gadgets, very much a 'designer'clothes sort of person:)

He even owns a watch that can send emails !!!Bless him he is a good lad though and doesn't mind when his Mum culls his wardrobe and passes stuff on to his younger hard -up cousins (neither do they).
    Had a long chat with my gardener and he is going to redesign the top end of my garden for me.and replace the handrail that goes down the steps to the garden I didn't realise how rickety it had become I have four steps that are a bit steep down to the patio and they are quite slippery at times so they may well be replaced by a gradual ramp with non-slip things that cross it

Eldest DD said she would feel happier if the steps and rail were replaced as falling over at my age isn't a great idea, and saftey is paramount to cost .No doubt it will cost a bit but it will make the top of the garden a lot safer.

Well, looking out the window at the moment it looks as though another nice day is on the cards :) and times getting on and so must I Hope you all have a great MM&M day todayalomost half way through April already
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
  • vhalla1478
    vhalla1478 Posts: 490 Forumite
    Good Morning All,

Almost back to normal, although I have a pile of washing from my guests being here, but it's another beautiful day so it won't be a problem drying and I'm not so MMM that I have to take it down to the river and bash it against stones to get it cleaned!

I didn't have chance to answer your question as to whether I had succumbed to plant buying the other day, Cheerfulness; actually I didn't as I remembered about a garden outlet near the coast which supplies Sainsburys and Morrisons with plants; they have a shop for their overflow and have a nice selection of plants at very reasonable prices, so as soon as I can get a lift there I'll investigate first before my twitchy finger presses the 'buy it now' button. And I also have to confess that now that the weather is improving my garden isn't as empty as I thought and is beginning to look quite pretty. Typical me - panicking and being impatient.

The other task I've set myself today, now that I've 'culled' my wardrobe a little is to take my summer clothes out of their winter hideaway, iron them and hang them up. My friend who has been staying with me also has a brand new top which I lusted after but which she got to first in our favourite shop's sale last year - she's never worn it so we're going to do a part exchange with that, so I'm a happy bunny - money to come and a brand new top for summer.

I must be having a good week. I complained about some fruit and vegetables that I bought from a local farm as the second delivery I had from them was way below par and have just had an email saying that they will drop off a full delivery for free on Thursday. I don't like being unpleasant to anyone and I'm always polite (you catch more flies with sugar) but I do think that one should complain if it is necessary about faulty goods, bad service etc. How can companies put it right if they don't know what is wrong? I find that now I'm older, I only tend to shop where I get great products and courteous service.

I can tell Spring is here; you all sound chirpy and busy - moods are definitely lifting. Recipe later. Have a great day, folks.

Viv x
  • cheerfulness4
    I know I definitely feel more chirpy with this lovely weather. I'm loving pottering around the garden again getting jobs done.

DH attached my plastic greenhouses to the wall before he went up to bed after dinner so I'll start filling those this afternoon as I've no space indoors for more seed sowing until I've moved the larger seedlings out.

Going to finish sowing my poppies this afters while its still so hot. Might take a shandy outside with me seeing as mum bought some for DS. I'll leave his orangeade alone. :p

kitty, I'm hoping all these flowers come good. I always have had a good turn out and rarely have disappointments although there are some flowers I don't like growing. Busy Lizzies and Petunias are two of them. Prefer to buy those.
    I sowed lots of 'bunny rabbits/snap dragons' yesterday. I adore those from childhood.

Just remembered I haven't sown DH's favourite. Bunnytail grasses.
    bunnytails1.jpg
    This has to be one of the loveliest grasses and I can't resist feeling it every time I pass them. I grow him this every year in the tubs or borders.

Just one more coffee and I'll get to it all. :D
  • cheerfulness4
    Just remembered what I came on here to do, quickly post my spends.

FRI 10 APR
    DAY 10

Money Spent Today - £6.20 Vouchers Spent - £0
    Money Spent in Total - £29.29 Vouchers Spent in Total - £0
    Money left in purse - £0.71 - Float left- £6.40/£15
    Jan non-foods left- £0.74/£15

Got treated by mum when we took them shopping today. She bought us posh scones, 2 x uncut sml uncut loaves and DS's 2x pop but she also bought us a lovely big Melton Mowbury Pork pie. I'm not that fond of lots of pork pies but I like this type.

We topped up our shop with 1ltr x Orange juice @ 69p, 1x Baked beans @ 24p, 2x milk @ £1.76, Ravioli @ 39p, 1x Ragu sauce @ 74p, 1x YS dbl cream @ 35p, 1x Jacobs tuc sandwich biscuits @ 64p (offer price) and 1x bacon rashers @ £1.39.

From the non-foods budget we bought 1 x 6pk dbl loo roll @ £1.95, 1x 6pk of Toilet duck fresh discs @ £1.75, 1x cillit bang spray cleaner @ £1.74 and 2x fairy liquid @ £2 the pair.

DS can use the YS double cream to make himself a carbonara for him and his dad tomorrow. I'll have something else but not sure what yet.
    The tuc sandwich biscuits have already gone as we went crazy for them. We never buy those and love them.

Bacon bagels for breakfast this weekend I think. All the YS crossiants went last weekend so bagels it is this week. I do have a hankering for crumpets and know that somewhere in the depths of that freezer are 2 heart shaped ones which I must find.

I made a really frivolous spend of the Toilet Duck discs, as my normal cleaning stuff does the job (I use Viacal - that stuff is so amazing!) but those little discs in the lime green colour make the whole of the bathroom smell so fresh and lovely.
    Its the only fragrance I like but everyone asks what it is as its such a gorgeous smell.

Right back to sorting out the gardening stuff.
  • vhalla1478
    vhalla1478 Posts: 490 Forumite
    Evening All,

I hope you've had a productive day; I almost got everything done that I wanted to, but still some summer clothes to iron and put back into the wardrobe.

As promised here's a good recipe for brownies - the eating not the girl guide sort!

Brownies - makes 12

350 grams of at least 70% dark chocolate, chopped into pieces, 200 grams unsalted butter, 3 medium eggs, 250 grams dark muscovado sugar, 50 grams self raising flour.

Heat the oven to 190 degrees (170 degrees fan)/gas 5. Line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment.

Melt the chocolate and butter gently in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring to combine. Whisk the eggs together until pale and fluffy, add sugar and whisk until thick. Then gently fold in the chocolate. Sieve in the flour and fold in until smooth.

Pour into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a paper-like crust forms on top but there is still movement in the centre of the brownies. Remove from the oven, cool and cut into squares. For extra indulgence serve decorated with a drizzle of melted chocolate.

Have a good evening, All.

Viv xx
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    cheerfulness4 Love those grasses they would be lovely in a sensory garden.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all,

Not much MMMing to report yesterday, I went out for lunch with a friend and went a bit over budget :( Today I start work at 7 but at least I'm then finished early and have the rest of the day to myself. I need to make some cards as I have two friends birthdays this week. I also need to have a look for needles for the sewing machine and buy a new kettle.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure