PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap packing materials for moving house

Options

Comments

• waterbaby59
    Options
    We have moved three times in the last four years (not by choice I hasten to add) and have never bought any packing materials.

We haunted all the supermarkets and grabbed banana boxes and fruit boxes as they were emptied. Banana ones are best as they have lids, but all fruit boxes are reinforced, stack well and have finger holes for lifting.

The movers don't want to use them as they "think" they have lift and carry more, however, we didn't give them an option and they all admit that, in the end, they are just as good as ones made specially.

Of course, they aren't deep enough for some items, but are amazing for things like books and are easy to carry about after the move as you unpack.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Ikea blue bags - they cost 50p each, hold a lot and have long as well as short straps so I use the long straps to close the bag by tieing in a bow, and carry by the short straps. They are very sturdy so fantastic for heavy things, and you can use them endlessly afterwards. I use mine instead of a laundry basket and store my linens in them on the top shelves of a cupboard, easy to get down by tugging at one strap without needing a step stool, also for xmas decorations etc.

Otherwise freecycle, there are always packing materials being offered, or try places that sell fridges and washing machines like Currys, go round the back and ask for the big boxes before they crush them.

Wrap delicate things in towels, and use pillowcases for books, you won't need much bubble wrap.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Pillowcases for books is a fab idea!! Definitely nicking that one!

When you sort through paperwork save up all your shredding stuff and use it instead of bubble wrap. Can be a bit messy but nothing a hover can't handle, and it's free.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    +1 for supermarket spare fruit & veg bubblewrap - ask at customer services, agree a time to collect & you may walk out with boxes full!

+1 for freecycle/freegle for those who have just unpacked & are gazing at all that packing stuff in dismay!

We've used George at Asda boxes - big & husky & banana boxes - big & stackable, but can get heavy.

Any off-licence spirits boxes - double layer corrugated cardboard & small enough to be still liftable when full of books. (May disconcert new neighbours.)

My colleagues who run the stationery cupboard have a lovely knack of having a tidy up & ensuring thick felt tips & a couple of rolls of the broad sellotape emerge as "spare", but then they're wonderful supportive folks.

We bundled bedding sets into one of the pillowcases (& wrote in marker on the pillow washlabel S-ingle, D-ouble or K-ing)

Do make sure kettle, mugs, teaspoons, sugar, tea, coffee, steriliser & feeds, glasses & at least one bottle of fizz are secured in passenger footwell so you can find them easily. (We keep vinegar, brown sauce, ketchup & a few other condiments in the door pocket so any emergency fish & chip supper has exactly what each individual wants.) Can spanner & corkscrew on most multitools & penknives - check! then tether to handbag or gaffer to steering wheel as taste permits.

All good luck with the move!
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my last move I used a removal company that provided boxes - but in previous moves, we used to raid the cardboard recycle bin behind a row of shops, which was always full of neatly folded boxes.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • rabb5it
    Options
    Used banana boxes from the supermarkets are really strong and can stack. Take 3 boxes and cut one up to make a base for the other 2 as they have a hole in the bottom. These can be better than the plastic boxes you can buy - unless they get wet.
  • skint-student-nurse
    Options
    ooh there are some lovely,useful tips on here - im taking a break from packing the flat up at this very moment!

I also raid the supermarket for bubble wrap, they usually dont mind as long as the fruit/veg crate it is in is nearly empty. I also use the wine boxes at the checkout for fragile things like picutre frames and ornaments as they are small enough to put in the car.

I have been lucky enough in the past to bag some cardboard crates on freecycle from a couple who had emigrated from Australia with paper and bubble wrap. I dont think there is any need to pay for packing materials for a house move, everything is out there for free...!
    ;)
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got bubble wrap and boxes from Freecycle. I went into local Waterstones for empty book boxes, as the other boxes were very big and too heavy when filled with books.
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    shamu95 wrote: »
    Pop to your local McDonalds and ask for the fry boxes. They hold 15kg and are easy to stack and they have tons of empty ones every day.

My daughter works at McDonald's awesome! Like the idea of same size boxes.

I also have a old fashioned shredder for newspaper great for packing.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport