PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap packing materials for moving house

Options
Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 11 February 2015 at 5:53PM in House buying, renting & selling
Moving house isn't just stressful, it's also expensive, with the cost of boxes and other packaging materials fast adding up. We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on the best ways you've found to keep costs down without moving all of your personal possessions one by one.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Anja
    Anja Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check out freecycle. Thats where I got my boxes and wrapping papers. I just needed to buy bubble wrap - on a big roll and marker pens.
  • laura_hoggle
    Options
    I work in a hospital, and we get rid of so many cardboard boxes every day. Every time I have moved, I've asked colleagues every time they empty a box to save them for me. It has meant they have had less waste to dispose of, and I have then passed em on through Freecycle or local free sites.

If you know someone who works in a hospital, ask them if they can source some for you!
    MFW 2016 #32 £1574.66/£1500:j:j
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For packing materials, hunt out houses that have just sold, and see if the new arrivals want rid of their used boxes and paper. Not all removals firms want the boxes back, and rarely want the paper. Find a nice, large house, introduce yourself as a keen recycler, and see if they'll be glad to see the back of all that paper and cardboard.
  • the-st
    Options
    Free source of loads of bubble wrap is the fruit and veg section of every supermarket. I regularly help myself to lots of sheets of bubble wrap which are going to be thrown out. Apples and pears displays are the best sources.
    Makes ideal wrapping for eBay sales as well as packing for house moves.
    Supermarkets are happy because you save them from having to dispose of it.
  • caedle56
    Options
    I always use spare linen, bedding, towels etc to wrap delicate stuff. Cushions go between big things. I also save newspaper in the months before a move.
    Using what is going to be going with you also saves space in the boxes.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think I've ever bought special items for moving. Ask shops for boxes, use newspaper or towels and bedding and I always have markers and tape in drawer.
  • penguine
    penguine Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are using a removals company, see if you can find one that provides the boxes and packing materials free of charge. Ours did, so long as we returned all the boxes within 3 weeks of moving. This made the difference between the two quotes we got from local removals companies. It was impossible for us to work out how much it would cost to move with the company that was going to charge us for boxes because we didn't know exactly how many we would need, and the two quotes were very close anyway so we went with the company that provided boxes.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Re-use empty pringles tubes to carry sharp things like knives or even cutlery.
    Use empty carrier bags for wrapping items rather than newspaper so you don't have to wash all the newsprint off.
    Ask around friends for leftover paper plates or buy a cheap pack from the pound shop to put between actual plates, which again avoids having to wrap them in newspaper.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Go to your nearest retail park and ask clothes shop etc for their empty boxes, tissue paper, bubble wrap, they have loads and are happy to have it taken away as it saves space in the skips.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • shamu95
    shamu95 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    Pop to your local McDonalds and ask for the fry boxes. They hold 15kg and are easy to stack and they have tons of empty ones every day.
    june debt totals:
    Citifinancial £11700
    Morgan Stanley £860
    Capital one Mastercard CLOSED
    Capital one visa £1676.3
    Halifax £6650
    Barclaycard CLOSED
    Abbey £1756.85
    Dad £6625
    Mbna £2282.20
    Total £31550.35

£1000 in 2mths challenge £228.19