PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2015

Options

Comments

• vhalla1478
    Options
    kittym, you've made my day and I'm sure, all make do and menders here. IO do hope your health improves rapidly and that we will have your posts to look forward to.

Viv xx
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all and welcome to kittym. Yesterday I made my soup and also the gingerbread for OHs birthday. It looks and smells lovely but have resisted having a taste (so far), we'll have it later.

I went shopping yesterday and got another wee present for OH - £4 reduced from £11. I also got a present for SIL - £6.60 reduced from £22 so really pleased with my bargains. I got a couple of things from £land for making cards and have made cards for them both.

I didn't get much else done yesterday as I spent all afternoon watching rugby. Scotland game today :) so probably won't get much done this afternoon either.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a quick hello, I am reading along in the background and a BIG thank you to vhalla for all the wonderful sounding recipes she so very kindly posts. :T I need to write a few down (no printer) for when I do a new meal plan. I am stuck in a bit of a rut meals wise and intend to sort that out pronto. Children are home next week and youngest is keen to cook and bake, looking forward to that time together and eating the results!

welcome kitty!
  • vhalla1478
    Options
    Many thanks for your kind remarks, savingqueen. I now have to put my money where my mouth is as I've just found out I've got three lots of visitors in the next 2-3 days! The man in my life will be over this evening and I know he would take me out to dinner tonight, but it doesn't seem fair as he has to drive for over three hours to get here; I'm not sure either whether he's here for a few hours or what yet. Then tomorrow lunchtime two of my dearest friends are over; I can't really put them off as they both have businesses to run and I've been dusting their Christmas presents for the last couple of months. On top of that (talk about London buses) my friend and her daughter arrive back from Australia tomorrow night....

So, this is the plan of action - feta cheese and peppers starter, prawns with chilli, ginger and garlic, and fruit with cream for the romantic meal (I don't have to provide the champagne). Lunch tomorrow can be home made soup and bread with hot meat loaf for a main course, although we may all go out if there are four of us and I'll do something with pasta for my friend as I've no idea what time she's arriving yet. It will be interesting to see how well I do for the rest of the week as I want to save my budget for fruit, vegetables and milk for next weekend.

At least I've managed to do my rug quota this morning and the house is clean and tidy. I just need to go and do something about myself! I've assembled ingredients together for each of the meals to save my getting into a flap and will post another recipe when I'm totally prepared later this afternoon. Now what am I going to wear?!!

Viv xx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the crew KittyM
    Viv - you know what they say about everything coming in threes!!
    Have a lovely evening with your man.
    Did laugh about you sewing your scarf too - I remember watching one of the makeover programmes with Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen. He was making some curtains & sewed his floppy sleeve into them. It was so funny as he held up his arm with a curtain dangling off it & said 'I didn't mean to do that' & just laughed it off. I thought if he can do it then maybe I'm not so bad after all.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • knittingcathy
    Options
    Just popping out of lurkdom to say that you are all very insperational. I love to knit and crochet and am trying to teach myself to sew as my body shape makes it very hard to get clothes to fit so like to be able to change them to fit.

Cheerfulness please look up on you tube life lines for your cardigan as they make life so much easier when doing lace and dealing with so many stitches.

Vhalla thanks for the recipes and I will one day get my recipes organised.
    Lose 20lb in 12 weeks 5/20
  • elaine241
    Options
    :DHello All

I've been just about keeping up with everything but not posting until now!
    As I've said before buying best value/quality/second hand etc is a way of life for me and has been for some time.
    Today I tidied the spare room/sewing room and tackled the mending pile. Now back in use one pair of rugby shorts, swimming trunks, school trousers and school coat, felt quite smug tbh!

Now I need your collective input and guidance :D . My step mother ( a total shopaholic) has given me a huge pile of trousers and clothes that are about a clothing size too big. What is the best/easiest way to alter these? If I manage to do them all and stay the same size! I will probably never have to buy smart or work trousers again. Many of them are brand new with tags , I mean how many pairs of black trousers can one woman own (20+++):eek:. If anyone knows of good sites or tutorials I would be very happy :).

Thanks

Elaine

"Big Al says dogs can't look up!"
  • vhalla1478
    Options
    Great panic! I couldn't get on the thread for some unknown reason. Just putting this post on to see if it works.
  • elisamoose
    elisamoose Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Just popping in to say Good Morning everyone & comiserations Cheerful I like Death in Paradise too ;)
    I have a timeline to do the cushions as the boat goes back in the water on Easter Saturday so I've GOT to do at least 1 a week.
    Its nice & sunny here this morning so defrosting a joint of beef for dinner tonight (Aldee) & a couple or three hours scraping the bottom of the boat - sigh

Being nosey as a fellow boater ....what have you got?
  • vhalla1478
    Options
    What was that I said about not flapping today? First I couldn't post a reply and it took ages to sort it out, then I pulled all my loose recipes on top of myself; but anyway, I found the one I wanted for you tonight.

By the way, I didn't know what to call my fella when I mentioned him here. When you get above a certain age, 'boyfriend' sounds juvenile, he's not my partner because we don't live together and 'lover' gives a bit too much information and sounds like he's a married man (which he isn't). Just thought I'd clear that up.

Baked Gammon

Just as good with cheaper boiling bacon; serve with jacket potatoes and peas or a green salad.

This is generally part of my contribution to the Christmas food, because it keeps and stretches to feed the five thousand, but it's lovely anytime of the year.

Baked Gammon

Piece of gammon or boiling bacon, a few dried apricots, an onion studded with 2 cloves, a carrot, a bay leaf, vinegar, cloves, molasses or brown sugar, mustard

Soak the gammon and dried apricots separately overnight in cold water. Drain the meat and put it in a pan of fresh cold water with the onion, carrot and bay leaf. Bring very slowly to the boil over a low heat. Keep the water only faintly simmering and cook for roughly 20 minutes per 450grams, stopping a little short of the full time allowance, as the joint will be finished off in the oven. If you don't want to bake it straightaway, leave the meat to cool in the cooking water -this keeps it moist and tender.

While the gammon is cooking, drain the apricots and cook in a little water with 1 tbsp. vinegar and a clove or two. Drain when soft and reserve the water.

To bake the gammon, remove it from the water and strip off the rind with a sharp knife, leaving most of the fat on the meat. Score a lattice pattern on the fat with the point of a knife and stick a clove into the middle of each pane of fat. Mix some molasses/brown sugar, vinegar and mustard together - the amount varies with the size of your joint, but the proportions are roughly a tbsp. molasses/sugar to 2 tsp vinegar and a tsp mustard.

Put the gammon in the roasting tin and spoon the mixture over it, scooping it out of the tin and repeating the process until the fat is brown and sticky. Surround the meat with apricots and bake in the oven at 180 degree/gas mark4 for about 30 minutes, basting once or twice with the juices in the pan, supplemented with a little apricot water if necessary.

To serve transfer the joint to a large plate, surrounded by the apricots. Dilute the juice left in the roasting tin with a little more apricot water, heat and serve as gravy.

Have to go and fix my face, have a great evening, Folks.

Viv xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport