Options

Comments

• irj
    irj Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    On pub sign cricket again..
    we used to play it where you got 10 'wickets' i.e. lives
    pub signs with legs (red lion) scored runs
    pub signs with no legs (Nag's head) lost wickets.
    10 wickets down and its someone else's turn - great year with it being the ashes!

doesn't work quite so well on the motorway though.
  • hogger84
    hogger84 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Our favourite game when we were kids was the spotting game.

Each person on the car got to add one thing you may plausibly see on the journey but not too easy (eg a field of black and white cows, M&S lorry, someone flying a kite or a dalmation dog (eg in back of a car)). Then if you are the first to spot it you replace that item with the item of your choosing.

On journeys we did often we would quite often add landmarks in at the right time like the shefiled cooling towers (now gone) or the Emly Moor Radio mast or the Sea.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    mandlou wrote: »
    We play a game called The Ministers Cat, this is one from my childhood from when we used to make the 9 hour car journey to visit family in the north of scotland twice a year and works equally well with my children now that we make a regular 3-5 hour journey (traffic and baby feeds depending lol).

Each person take turns to 'describe' the ministers cat in alphabetical order i.e Person 1 might say 'The ministers cat is an artistic cat' and person 2 might say 'The ministers cat is a blue cat' (they don't have to be likely scenarios lol) My children use some highly amusing adjectives for this one and we find that with a 7 year age gap between our two girls it is perfect as my 11 yr old can show of her vastly superior vocabulary and teach her little sister a thing or two, and my 4 year old can hold her own in the game too as long as you tell her tell her what her starting letter 'sound' (phonetics) is.

Just don't ask me why it is the 'ministers cat' specifically. Lol

We still play my mother-in-law's Minister's Cat game!! Never heard of this game anywhere else so it was a lovely surprise to see mandlou's post, she mentions Scotland and MiL is from Aberdeen, so must be a Scottish thing.
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    One of our favourites was 'Nobbies & Stobbies'. Spotting an Eddie Stobart lorry gained the first spotter 10 points and a Norbert Dentressangle lorry gained 40 points (reverse the scores in France). The one with the most points at the end of the journey wins. The ensuing argument entertains them all for another hour.

I-Spy was perfect until the kids got cynical. Our littlest came up with:
    'I spy with my little eye, something beginning with S'

After hours of guessing unsuccessfully the answer came:
    'Somerset.'
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine is quite dull really.

We modelled a love of books and stories from a young age.

Never had a problem amusing them on long car journeys as they amused themselves with a big stack of books and story CDs from the library in a large box between them. We play some of the games above if they get restless after finishing a book, but then they get bored of games, so go back to the books.

Was more than enough for them on a day trip by Eurotunnel to Disneyland Paris when they were 2 and 4 when I was driving and navigating alone without a satnav. Still works now they are 7 and 9 on our 6 hour round trips to visit family.

Quite often have to peel them out at the other end of the car as they just want to finish a chapter before getting out...

Told you it was dull. But sometimes the obvious ones can get missed on these hunts.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    codysmum wrote: »
    this one is good for traffic jams but is a bit revolting: we simply look round for people picking their nose and shout NOSE PICKER really loudly - a long jam on the M25 and you can get into double figures

Love love love love love it!!!!!!

We're playing this one in a couple of weeks on our next family visit!!!!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • sherri01
    sherri01 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We often take our Grand children on long car journeys in the summer and play a game with caravans (sorry) we got the idea from the show Brainiacs and keep a count of all the caravans/camper vans each of us manage to spot and pretend to shoot. The first thing the kids say when they get in the car is guns loaded were ready. It stops the constant nagging of are we there yet!!! So if any caravaners see a car pretending to shoot them its not because we dont like you but it makes the journey less stressful!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ashagill
    Ashagill Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This game (already been described) but we recently played an...adult version in the car just with adults, obvs. Themed ones are also difficult/fun. See circus theme below!

Player 1: I'm going to the picnic, and i'm bringing an Acrobat
    Player 2: I'm going to the picnic, and i'm bringing an Acrobat and a Big Top
    Player 3: I'm going to the picnic and i'm bringing an Acrobat, a Big Top, and a Clown

etc...

Adult versions are also fun. ;)
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • annen
    annen Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    This tip worked with my two teenagers in a very long, hot journey through France! Borrow some talking books from the library and listen to them. Some libraries don't make a charge for this but those that do its usually less than a fiver.
  • gemmaizabell
    Options
    My kids loved to play 'pub cricket'. one person is chosen to 'bat' and the rest are fielders.
    The batsman has to look for pubs and count the legs on the named creature, eg. The red cow, would count as 4 runs; The kings arms would count as 2 runs.
    The pub has to be seen by at least one other player to prevent arguments.
    If the batsman misses a pub another player who has seen it then becomes the batsman, counting runs as per the number of legs.
    No good on motorways but good fun through villages/towns.
    Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport