Switch from EDF Fix til 2014 to EDF Blue+ price promise April 2014

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    Hmmm... Haven't you had a recent 'annual review'? Surely the balance/payment combination should already be on track for a zero balance at the next 'annul review'?

Maybe the next reading will generate an 'annual statement'. If so look out for the stated projected annual consumption (and how it compares with last year).

Yeah, annual DD review after ~ 10 months in May ...which left my DD " as is". Since then, my gas usage has been extremely low so I'm building up significant credit.
    I've just put readings in - I'll see what transpires - but the credit balance has dropped to approximately what I make it. I'll wait for the bill to be produced!:)
  • brewerdave
    edited 21 August 2012 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Right - so bill has been produced - it DOES now contain my "annual statement" - and it proposed a small change to my DD downwards.:j

...HOWEVER, perusing annual statement and comparing with latest midata, two things come to light:-
    1. From the annual statement they are predicting an increase of 13% in gas usage in the next 12 months but only 0.5% on electric ( even allowing for previous cold winter of 2010-11 I only used ~ 2% more gas pa)-this results in only the small decrease in DD even tho I'm in a large credit position currently.Based on the last 6 year's figures I estimate that my DD could be reduced by a further £8-10 per month at least!! EDIT Overpayment will actually be more like £14 pm to give zero balance by next May.

2. The midata usage figures are for the year past - but the costs are exactly the same as their forecasted costs from the annual statement-altho' in the notes, it actually says that its based on the same usage as current - so midata explanations are incorrect!!!

Not sure whether its worth the hassle of trying to explain this to EDF Customer Services to get a further reduction in DD or not :rotfl:
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2012 at 9:53AM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    so midata explanations are incorrect!!!

In my case the Midata costs are not correct for the Midata consumptions.

Does your Edf recalculation offer any "clear" [required by regulation] explanation how the various numbers combine to give the monthly payment? I'll hazard a guess the calculation is "right for the numbers" except the +13% on gas is unsubstantiated nonsense. Until you get that figure corrected and/or explained your monthly calculation will never be right.

I suggest an "open question" by email will provide an opportunity for Edf to dig themselves a hole. Either by answering or more likely, as in my case, not answering having consigned the question to the too difficult to answer email trash bin.
  • brewerdave
    Options

Does your Edf recalculation offer any "clear" [required by regulation] explanation how the various numbers combine to give the monthly payment? I'll hazard a guess the calculation is "right for the numbers" except the +13% on gas is unsubstantiated nonsense. Until you get that figure corrected and/or explained your monthly calculation will never be right.

I suggest an "open question" by email will provide an opportunity for Edf to dig themselves a hole. Either by answering or more likely, as in my case, not answering having consigned the question to the too difficult to answer email trash bin.

NO clear explanation; as you say, the future cost calculation is OK if the 13% extra gas and small amount of extra eleccy is included- it includes discounts and basically the new DD is one twelfth of the total amount calculated for Aug 2012 to Aug 2013.
    BUT it doesn't explain the impact of my current credit balance on the DD (and their apparent desire to have a zero balance at the May annual DD review!!)
    Further,on MyAccount front page it now states that my next bill will be available on 10th June 2013 - I have absolutely no idea where that date comes from - it isn't the anniversary of the start date of either the original or new tariff contract and is a month after this year's DD review date!!!!
    I'm constructing an email as I type this!!!:rotfl:
  • jalexa
    edited 21 August 2012 at 2:58PM
    Options
    basically the new DD is one twelfth of the total amount calculated for Aug 2012 to Aug 2013.

That is interesting. Chance maybe*? Are Edf now doing a rolling 12 month calculation (with or without the account balance???). BTW I cannot see the next bill date on MyAccount. Whereabouts and on which screen?

I have just done an online quote for a tariff change to Blue +Price Promise April 2014. A modest saving but no mention of ETC liability. What is your latest news on that?

*on chance.

The quote annual cost is correct (because I entered *my* annual consumption). The cost on "standard tariff" is the same as the 'annual statement' +5% inflated projected annual cost Edf quote for my Fixed 2014 tariff. Chance or just another systems defect?
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a bill date on myaccount on the screen that automatically loads when you sign in with the picture of the house on it and your account balance inside. Mine is listed as a random date in May. I've been live on connection with them for 3 weeks so...
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • brewerdave
    Options
    That is interesting. Chance maybe*? Are Edf now doing a rolling 12 month calculation (with or without the account balance???). BTW I cannot see the next bill date on MyAccount. Whereabouts and on which screen?

No actual news on ETC - BUT it wasn't included in my new bill even tho that included a couple of days on the new tariff. As amiehall says, the expected next bill date appears on the new front page with the Blue+ price promise logo - obviously they haven't changed the coding for the front page of the old fixed til March 2014 tariff. As you say, modest savings - but it was worth about £45 to me over the next 20 months even if they charge the ETC - so worth it for a single mouse click (or two) !!:D
    As to the mysteries of the DD calculation -I await their reply with interest (if I get one!!):)
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Well, to my astonishment - I have received a reply to my email...and it includes an "explanation" of my DD...of sorts!!!
    First point I raised was "where did my forecast gas usage for next year come from??" - the answer supplied :-
    "The usage forecast shown on your annual statement is based on several factors. The first is your properties AQ (annual quantity) figure obtained from the gas transporter, this is the gas transporters forecast based on past usage at the property. The other main factors are the consumption history we hold for your property and long range weather forecasts."
    They haven't answered my supplementary point that I haven't used that much gas in any of the last 6 years that I have kept records !!!:(

Second issue was the setting of my DD - please bear with me -this gets a bit more complicated!!
    They have calculated the cash amounts required to match my usage (as from forecast) til next June and subtracted only part of my current credit (just over 60%!!) - then divided by the number of payments til annual review date (now apparently 10th June 2013) ie 9 payments - to give the DD figure.
    The advisor obviously doesn't understand why the "system" only takes part of the existing credit into account - so he has done a manual calculation/adjustment to allow for the whole credit balance which reduces the DD by a further £10 per month effective immediate!!!:rotfl:
    I'm inclined to let it go now as that agrees very nearly with my spreadsheets.
    Altho' it says next bill due June 2013 it will be interesting to see if a meter reader visit happens before then - presumably a bill will be raised - but will it trigger another system recalculation of DD??

• jalexa
    edited 23 August 2012 at 4:02PM
    Options
    so he has done a manual calculation/adjustment to allow for the whole credit balance which reduces the DD by a further £10 per month effective immediate!!!:rotfl:
    I'm inclined to let it go now as that agrees very nearly with my spreadsheets.

I agree the best customer objective is the customer calculated "corrrect" figure.

The process you describe (Edf imagination works???) is hardly in compliance with Edf online information about the direct debit scheme. I would say the fundamental non-compliance is that there is a "normal" expectation of only 2 reviews i.e. the 'annual review' and additionally one [only] 'interim review'. I'm intrigued by the "60% current credit" kludge. I assume the reason is that the spring/summer balance will be artificially high because of low spring/summer consumption (er... isn't that the point???) but I am astonished that Edf have formally included that in the working of a process which is supposed to be an annual balance.

Regarding what I see as "AQ manipulation", they play a very high-risk game.

But I would like to know next year's ski prospects.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport