PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 26th September 2011

Options
pigpens
pigpens Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 28 September 2011 at 9:59PM in Old style MoneySaving
Weekly Flylady Thread 26th September 2011
Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week when it comes to housework, or just the motivation to do the dreaded housework tasks you have to do, come and join us, hopefully make it a little easier. You never know, you might start to enjoy it!

There are levels 1, 2 and 3. Level 1 being very basic it has been requested that this is just vital tasks for basic cleanliness, level 2 usually has some decluttering and clearing, level 3 which is more advanced and time consuming. If you want to do level 2 you add the tasks on level 1 with the level 2 tasks, if you want to do level 3 you add the tasks on, easy peasy. Choose a level to aim for but be realistic, if you've got a busy day on or are just starting etc aim for level one, if you get higher then great, if not then not to worry its only suggestions. Every room comes back around next week. Trust me some days I'll only be doing level one myself. Then for our super high flyers there are the extras.. a mixture of decluttering, cleaning and general improvement of your home. Don't feel you have to do any of it, just do what you can, anything you do which you didn't before is a step forward and to be rejoiced!

THESE LISTS ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS AND NOT A MUST DO LIST, ALWAYS WELCOME TO POST AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN.

Also adding a declutter mission each day. Another one where it's up to you if you want to do it or if you need to. This follows requests from members who are looking to declutter. Binbag dances, hotspot clearing, cupboard sorts, drawer sorts etc will all be on this list. Any problems with this or any suggestions do please just ask.

A few of the basics before we start the week
Hotspots are any areas which if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
Daily routines/todailies are anything you need to do today and every day stuff like laundry, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc
Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie/binbag dance - stick on some loud music, grab a binbag or carrier bag and whizz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning, exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
5GC five minutes gardening.. make it lovely for your family and enjoy it!
Other abbreviations you may find useful
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ this is a AnW'sMum's way of tidying - pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

here goes another week - I bet you will be hoping HRH is back soon!:D tootsx

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
Level One
Clean floors
Descale kettle and iron
Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
Level Two
Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
Level Three
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
Clean oven if you didn't do it last week
Extras

1. Wipe window sills and clear away any gibble
  2. HHI
  3. clear a hotspot - well at least try to!
  4. empty and scrub out cutlery drawer and put everything back tidily!
Tuesday - Living Room, Hall and Stairs
Level 1
Vacuum floors and sofas
Dusting, even if around everything
Level 2
Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean a window
Water any thirsty plants, wipe their poor neglected leaves!!
Level 3
Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
Put up linings or winter curtains to keep out those draughts.
Extras
  1. Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
  2. Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
  3. Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves
  4. wipe doors and handles downstairs
Wednesday - those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One
Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
Level Two
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Level Three
Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Pull out the beds, furniture and clean all behind them.. the skirtings and light fittings and everything.. get rid of all the things that are no longer required!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extras

• Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
  • Time for the Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box you’ll have to choose another area!
  • HHI
  • Do a D.I.Y. job, fix something you've been putting off forever!!
Thursday Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
Level One

Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
Clear any clutter from desk
Level Two

Clean baths, toilets and sinks
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment the pc while doing this ).. if you do the disc cleanup as well it clear all the cookies and temporary files too
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Level Three
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
Clean/wash the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I don’t want anyone electrocuted!!
Extras

1. Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
  2. grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
  3. clean the radiators in these rooms
  4. delete 50 emails
Friday - Master Bedroom & Landing
Level 1
Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen.
Level 2
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen.. do you need that winter duvet yet?
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level 3
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
HH Me time - whatever you like - soak in a bath - get your nails done etc.
Extras
  • Time for that Friday fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Put away those summer clothes from someones cupboard and get out the winter woollies.. don’t store anything that is past its best! Make a list of things you need to buy!!
  • clean out that airing cupboard!!!!!! get rid of those things you don't need.. use dead towels as cleaning cloths etc.. be ruthless!!!! you REALLY don't need that 'thing' you've saved for 10 years.. 'just in case'
  • Check house for places where draughts are getting in.. doors, windows etc and see if there are ways to stop it!

Comments

• tootifruities
    Options
    I hope you will find the following helpful but please dont be afraid to ask anything -no matter how silly it might seem.We all have the t-shirt!
    If you want to get your house ship-shape then you have definitely come to the right place!
    Dont worry if you dont have time to post or read all the thread.

Hope we see more of you!

WELCOME TO THE WEEKLY FLYLADY(& GENTS) THREAD
    1. A new thread starts on a Sunday evening via a link from the current thread so keep a watch out and dive in! (Click on the big writing)
    2. Make sure you read the first post carefully as it contains all the info and abbreviations that we use!
    3. A new list is added to the 1st post every evening by pigpen-the order changes every week
    4. Dont get stressed with the mess just try to do the list to whatever level you can manage depending on your home circumstances - work, children, OH's!
    5. Even if you only manage level 1 everyday when you come back to that room next week you will find it is easier and as time goes on it becomes more manageable and you will see huge differences. I know it sounds impossible but I can vouch for the fact it works!
    6. Remember your home didnt get in a mess overnight so dont expect it to get tidy in a day!! Dont try to do the whole house at once - you will tire yourself out and sicken yourself -we have all tried it! BABYSTEPS -little and often and you will be amazed at the improvement.
    7. Post what you have done and forget about what you missed. There is no such thing as failure here!
    8. If you want to post a list and strike out what you have done -choose the 'go advanced' (its down at the bottom of the messages) and then highlight the line you want to strike out -press the S with the line through it (its near the end of the list of symbols above your page) and it will say'strike' at each end -when you post your message it will show with a line through it!
    9. If you want to answer a particular post then press 'quote' and you will then be able to type a reply. To help keep the thread tidy & short if there is only a small bit of the post that you want to reply to then just delete the bits you dont want but be sure to leave the 'quote' at each end.
    10. Dont worry if you cant keep up with the thread it moves very fast -just pop in and post so everybody know hows you are doing!
    11. To defrag your pc (it appears on the list!) go to Start>>All progs>> Accessories >>System tools >>Disk defragmenter. You should do both C &D discs but 'C' is the important one - the more often you do it the less time it will take.
    12. All posts should include some mention of the flying you have been doing - except at the weekend when we can chat more!
    13. Frog list - this is a short term list of annoying or horrid jobs that you have been putting off doing for too long - stop procrastinating! watch this for a better explanation!
      http://www.eatthatfrogmovie.com/
    14. originally posted by Mudbath .."A 60 in 60 is putting away or chucking or charity bagging 60 things in 60 minutes ... a genius idea:rotfl:xx"
    15. Toots'list this is a master list of absolutely everything you want to get done in the house and garden and your life in general - I went through each room and noted everything - this is a long term list - some things could take you up to a year!
    The support, encouragement and friendship on here is simply THE BEST! ask any questions and we will give you our tuppence worth - sometimes sensible sometimes totally insane!

We dont bite -well most of us dont -have fun!!
    WELCOME to the totally bonkers mad house!!
    toots:D
    :heart: R.I.P.:heart:
    Money Saving Diva
    mummyslittleboy
    :heart::A:heart:
  • pigpens
    Options
    HRH hopes to be back with us today so the lists should improve this week!
  • Ivydog
    Options
    Right you lot , I've lurrked for a couple of weeks and been amazed by the results , then didn't bother last week and now have a house from hell - so, I'm in , I'm here and I think you're all fantastic!

Hello btw, Karen x
  • Mumto5
    Mumto5 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Toots, I'm in with a vengance this week!

Pigpen enjoy little Dot for a while longer. Toots has done a fine job of keeping the troops in check.
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 26 September 2011 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Level One
    Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
    Level Two
    Level Three
    Extras
    2. empty and scrub out cutlery drawer and put everything back tidily!
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • The_Dragon
    The_Dragon Posts: 9,749 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in (I hope!) with any luck the pain will subside enough for me to do something!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Toots thanks sweetie you are doing a fine job.

Last week of the month so I plan to try to get all the outstanding bits in my diary finished before starting a new list for a new month next weekend.

Off out walking first thing tomorrow and then the Monday tidy up will commence.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Goodintentions
    Options
    I am in again this week. Thanksto FCC for the thread, esp Toots & Pigpen.
    My lists for the week (and beyond!)

Level One
    Clean floors
    Descale kettle and iron
    Level Two
    Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
    Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    Level Three
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
    Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
    Clean oven if you didn't do it last week

Extras
    2. HHI
    3. clear a hotspot - well at least try to!
    4. empty and scrub out cutlery drawer and put everything back tidily!
    FROG LIST:
    1. Print photos for T’s leaving album
    2. Get passport photos done for Bex tried – but she wasn’t in the right mood!!
    3. Make sure RA’s/planning, etc up-to-date
    4. Phone re Conor’s laptop
    5. Sort one box in DR
    6. Set up LJ for Miss T
    7. Update LJ for LMS
    8. Sort out junk put in Summerhouse – put away, CS or chuck
    9. Car insurance quotes
    10. Find electrician

My Toot’s list!
    3. Sort out paperwork in small brown box
    4. Sort out paperwork in large brown box
    5. Clear out desk
    7. Look into new website costs £300-£400, + £30 p.a. +£5 pm !!!!; or £55 p.a (that’s better!)
    9. Work – update LJ WIP – try to do some every day
    11. Sort out pictures for photo frame
    13. Work – make list of resources WIP
    14. Work – photographic labels for resources
    15. Cupboard under stairs to do when shed ready
    18. Clean oven & grill – maybe get someone in to do deep clean?
    20. Clear out top drawer in kitchen
    21. Clear out bottom (junk) drawer in kitchen
    24. Clear out cupboard under sink
    26. Clear bedside drawer
    27. Clear out double wardrobe
    29. Clear out/clean bathroom cabinet
    34. Work – update 2011/12 accounts FROG Lincome done
    38. Look into repair plan for TV
    40. Update members list for SAA FROG L
    41. Book dentist
    47. Clean kitchen windows
    52. Work – update Self Evaluation Form FROG L
    55. Clean lounge/dining room carpet
    56. Replace broken catches in kitchen
    63. Sort out Becky’s passport
    70. Look into emergency insurance cover – eg boiler & water supply (Homeserve?)
    75. Get toilet roll holder for downstairs loo that the children can reach!
    76. Paint bathroom window frame
    77. Paint bathroom door frame
    78. Paint banisters
    82. Sort out broom cupboard
    85. Clean smelly patch in hallway (again)
    86. Look into getting electrics fitted in summerhouse – what it involves & cost
    88. Make bags up for toys done first one
    89. Make up boxes for toys and sort out/clean/re-organise
    91. Organise toys etc in new units
    94. Send old laptop away to fix screen problem
    96. New toilet seat for downstairs
    97. Clear junk out of top cupboards in kitchen (3 cupboards) 2 done, 1 to go
    98. Sort out/reorganise cupboard above oven need to buy shelves from Ikea
    101.Chain/bolt for front door
    102.Get car insurance quotes (renewal 5/10)
    103.Tax return
    104.New blinds for LR

Might have to dig out the shorts & bikini for the end of the week! (don't worry - I was joking about the bikini!! :rotfl:)

Hugs & spoons for those that need them :)
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, kinda introduced myself on last weeks fred.

Looking forward to the week ahead! (did I really say that about cleaning!?!) This is what i will try to do (back to work full time now so will be challenge) as its first week will go for just level one and a couple of extras

Level One

Clean floors
    Descale kettle and iron

Extras

1 -Wipe window sills and clear away any gibble
    1. HHI
    2. clear a hotspot - well at least try to!
    3. empty and scrub out cutlery drawer and put everything back tidily!
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Mrs_Toast
    Options
    Evening everyone. We've had our house on the market for a week so really need to keep it extra. Even if I can only get to level 2 that means the house won't get any worse :p

Hopefully off to a good start as I had cleaned the house before we went away for the weekend, just need to finish unpacking lol.

Hope everyone has a good week and thanks to Toots:j
    TOTAL DEBT £12,212.46/£2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund £482.53/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business