Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • Strider590

Out of the five, 3 knew absolutely zilch about area x and didn't even know what it was. 1 had heard of it. 1 hadn't heard of it before applying, but had researched it on the internet, read up on it the night before the interview, learn some of the legal/technical issues already, and was keen to learn more. She was also the only person who'd looked at our website and learned a bit about us.That was the person who got the job.

Made our decision a nice easy one this time
    Originally posted by heretolearn
    My only comment to that is..... Learning a little about something is not the same as doing it.

It's like.....

The uni grads who just get through by memorising a few text books (which they then forget), they usually have the gift of the gab, they talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk.

But those those with good honest skills and interest in a subject, they don't tend to talk too much or use big words to confuse you into thinking they're great.

Friend of mine works for a school, he's does all the IT work, he has hardly any qualifications.
    The school take on a graduate with a degree in computer science. On her first day, she's asked to reinstall windows on a machine, but she doesn't know how.
    She's asked to change a faulty power supply in a teachers PC, but she doesn't know how.
    She's asked to connect up a brand new PC, she plugs the USB keyboard into the printer/parallel port and can't work out how to turn on the monitor.

The end result is my friend passes her simple work and has her calling his mobile every 5 minutes because she can't do something. He wouldn't mind but she gets paid more.

Unfortunately these days we have far too many people getting places just because they learn a few big words and as I found when interviewing people, I can see when someone is talking crap, but my manager at the time thought they were great because he wasn't an engineer and just thought that big words = knows their stuff.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,750Posts Today

7,895Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin