E-Petition: Surgeries use of expensive 0844 Numbers

Options
bbb_uk
bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
Not sure if this has been mentioned but someone has started a petition with regards to surgeries using 0844 costing 5p/min (from a BT landline but potentially upto 40p/min from some mobile networks) to ring surgeries and according to the telephone number suppliers website, surgeries can make money as well from the call.

The petition can be found here and is discussed on SayNo here.

Comments

• ZizWiz
    ZizWiz Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Recently my surgery just announced that it was dropping the 01 number and just using 0844. They tried to say that it would make things better what they did not say was they would actually be making money out of the call and so would the company that runs the phone service for them as will the service provider. To me this was totally unethical as the people most in need of seeing a doctor are sick and maybe are counting their pennies. I took this up with the surgery and started a local campaign that was taken over by the councilors. We did achieve a results in that the surgery will still change to 0844 but will also still have 01.

As I say I think this is totally unethical. You have no choice of ringing someone else as you would have if say your local plumber changed to 0844. A petition has been set up to get action from our government so if like me and many others you feel the same could you please sign it and spread the word about it among friends and family etc.

The link is http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/
  • loddon
    Options
    ZizWiz wrote: »
    I took this up with the surgery and started a local campaign that was taken over by the councilors. We did achieve a results in that the surgery will still change to 0844 but will also still have 01.

The link is http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

Zizwiz, your actions and the favourable result are very interesting. Would you mind telling us where this is, and the name of the surgery? It would be most helpful to other people. Thanks.:j
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

VOTE NOW !!!!!!!!
  • Bufflowbill
    Options
    The Sun ran an article on this subject yesterday. http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007370302,00.html

Perhaps MSE could give this petition a plug in his weekly e-mail .
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    Signed. :)
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    signed to-day :T
  • new
    Options
    signed today!
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    4,174 signatures as of now.

It is now in Position 44 when sorted by size.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    :j Come on Martin - the use of these 0844 numbers by NHS GPs means we, the tax-paying public, are being ripped off by the people whose (very generous) wages we pay.

We pay for the NHS, we pay the GPs' salaries - why are we being made to pay AGAIN to call them when we need to?

Please join the campaign and jump up and down and shout about it on the radio and television programmes on which you appear. :j
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • st
    st Posts: 3,461 Forumite
    Options
    I called my GP the other day to male an appointment only to hear a recored message and to redial an 0844 no-which I then did and was holding on for 7 minutes ( I timed it) listening to info and details before finally being connected to a person--in the surgery a notice say that this will "speed up " calls and improve !!!
    Rip off again and come yes Martin please bring this into the public more as it is just not correct at all -needs more publicity via your tv/radio progs.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Can I suggest readers whose GPs' surgeries have not (yet) changed from 01 or 02 numbers make their views known NOW - before another gullible practice manager is hoodwinked by the slick sales patter of the so-called benefits by the firms offering this 'free' equipment.

I e-mailed my surgery earlier today and anyone who wants to pick a few ideas, sentences or paragraphs from the below is most welcome to do so.
    It has come to my attention that some telephone equipment and 'service' providers (one of which is Essex-based) continue to attempt to persuade GPs' surgeries to change from the use of 01 and 02 geographic telephone numbers to non-geographic 0844 numbers.

Apparently, the sales technique is to offer the practice incentives of a 'free' switchboard and associated equipment and a proportion of the excessive 5p per minute call charges which result when non-geographical 0844 numbers replace existing 01 or 02 geographic numbers.

Of course, common sense tells us that no business would offer free equipment unless they were certain of making their money - and more - back so the question has to be asked, how are they going to do that? Simple, your patients are going to pay! All your patients are going to pay - from the wealthy to the poor - are going to pay. Every time they call the surgery, they are going to pay.

Apart from the fact that such systems require patients to remember an eleven-digit number as opposed to a much shorter local number, 0844 numbers are 'revenue-sharing' and generate an income for the surgery and/or the telephone service provider and result in call-queuing - at the expense of patients!

The firms attempt to justify the unnecessary queuing which results when these systems are installed by saying that it is more efficient because callers never receive the engaged tone! They cannot, of course, explain how patients entering an electronic wilderness to wait, whilst paying 5p per minute to do so, is more efficient than, as he/she would do now, him or her pressing the last number redial button to try again. When only one or two people are available answer calls anyway, such systems really just make patients pay yet another stealth tax for the dubious privilege of listening to ‘press this’, ‘press that’ menu options and/or ‘musak’ whilst waiting. What they really mean, of course, that the systems are more efficient at extracting extra money from patients!

Equally worryingly, it is not possible to make calls to UK 08xx numbers from most overseas counties and, therefore, a patient or hospital overseas would not be able to contact the surgery for information in case of emergency.

Many people have 'inclusive' telephone call packages these days whereby all calls to UK 01 or 02 numbers are, in effect, free at all times. At 5p per minute and with queuing times artificially lengthened, calls to 0844 numbers from patients attempting just to make an appointment or enquire about a test result, now regularly cost in excess of 50p.

Of course, the introduction of these numbers additionally penalises the poor and elderly and others who do not have access to a home phone. Calls to 0844 numbers from telephone boxes cost a minimum of 40p and are charged at 14p per minute and mobile phones companies charge up to 40p per minute - not the 'headline' price of 5p (which, in itself, is 54% per minute more than someone on the basic BT package would pay for a call to an 01 or 02 number).

You will probably be aware that a petition against the use of these numbers by GPs’ surgeries has been started on the Downing Street website and has already attracted a considerable number of signatures.

I trust the surgery has not been and will not be duped by what I regard as reprehensible sales techniques and that, for many years to come, we in this village and the surrounding area may continue to make use of the excellent services provided by the doctors and staff at the surgery via 01xxx XXXXXX.
    I was extremely heartened to receive the below reply a few days later!
    Thank you for your comments received via our website regarding surgery telephone systems.

When we moved premises in July 2005, the practice purchased a new telephone system which I have to say we are very pleased with. It does have the ability to 'queue' patients but as yet we have not utilised this facility. I cannot say however that we will never use this part of the system, because we do have patients who tell us that they would prefer to queue rather than dial again, but I feel that the real emphasis of your comments is about the premium rate telephone numbers that some practices have employed.

As I am sure you can imagine, I get lots of sales calls from companies, who would love us to implement one of these 0844 numbers but I do not feel that this is the right way to go for either the Practice or our patients and therefore am very happy to stick to the existing arrangements. Again I cannot categorically state that this will never happen as one cannot predict the future, i.e. Government legislation, if I am still the Practice Manager etc, but certainly at this moment in time, I have no intention whatsoever of changing the practice telephone number to a premium rate line.

I trust that this allays your fears and thank you once again for your comments.

Yours sincerely

Practice Manager

Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure