Directory Enquiries: the cheapest number to call Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• heaven_scent
    Options
    FREE DIRECTORY ENQUIRIES SERVICE FOR LANDLINES -
    From Monday 4th December 118 have a free directory enquiry service for calls from landlines
    * 0800 118 3733 *
    mobile phone users will be charged by their network.
  • kaan_is
    kaan_is Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The Guardian missed this from the conditions in their story:
    You acknowledge and accept that, by accessing and using the Service, you will be played one or more pre-recorded advertising messages.

Still better than paying, but not a free lunch.
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    Read the T&C carefully ;)

http://www.118.com/Help/Terms.htm

You need to submit application form to use service.Which requires you to enter mobile no.

http://www.118.com/registration/default.aspx

"We will automatically include your mobile number in our database for the purpose of call connecting callers who wish to contact you. You can withdraw permission for this by e-mailing free@118.com but if you do so you will no longer be eligible to access or use 0800 118FREE. "
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oops, I pressed thanks as well
    hurrah wrote:
    "We will automatically include your mobile number in our database for the purpose of call connecting callers who wish to contact you. You can withdraw permission for this by e-mailing free@118.com but if you do so you will no longer be eligible to access or use 0800 118FREE. "
    It would be interesting to know if the firms that might contact users are only the ones which the query is about, or whether other business subscribers might do so too.

On a similar free DQ service in the USA, I've read that if you have a query about a certain type of business, say Bob's plumbing, you might be offered the option of Rick's plumbers first, as Rick has paid to be promoted like this, and you press say 1 for Rick and 2 for Bob.

So would users be receiving semi-spam return phone calls from this service? Too expensive; maybe sms instead ...

Well, we've probably all got an old payg SIM we hardly use any more ...
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Surely you would have to use the phone for Directory Enquiries that you registered. This would mean keeping a PAYG phone just for that. No thanks, I'll try and use the free service at https://www.118.com if possible and if on the move, will just have to pay.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • redux
    Options
    theloft wrote:
    Surely you would have to use the phone for Directory Enquiries that you registered. This would mean keeping a PAYG phone just for that. No thanks, I'll try and use the free service at https://www.118.com if possible and if on the move, will just have to pay.
    I'm not sure about that, as if so there would be no point in them having a freephone number, and no point in them commenting that it was free from a landline but not necessarily from a mobile
  • redux
    Options
    Interestingly, a French 'free' service has had some problems, first being accused of unfair competitive practice, then misleading advertising

I discovered this on the site below, which might be useful to keep an eye on things - for another example there is a new service 118918 that donates 9 pence to Oxfam for each query. It has a tariff search as well

http://www.118tracker.com/news.shtml

• Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Options
    118118 have apparently launched their free service this morning at 0800118. It seems that you'll have to listen to a 30 second advert from a sponsor to be able to use the service but it is good if you are willing to trade time for money.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Aiadi wrote:
    118118 have apparently launched their free service this morning at 0800118. It seems that you'll have to listen to a 30 second advert from a sponsor to be able to use the service but it is good if you are willing to trade time for money.
    The number is 0800 118 3733.

You have to register in advance and according to their registration page here, they appear to pass your details on to whomever they like:-
    We will automatically include your mobile number in our database for the purpose of call connecting callers who wish to contact you. You can withdraw permission for this by e-mailing free@118.com but if you do so you will no longer be eligible to access or use 0800 118FREE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure