Property income and tax credits

Options
Hi there

spoke to the delightful staff at tax credits today to confirm 08/09 income. Told them my profit from my house I rent out after all expenses taken off. The guy asked me what the gross rental income was. I told him that was irrelevant in the sense that that wasn't an income figure. He didn't believe me so went away and came back and said they could take mortgage interest off gross rental but nothing else. Is this right? I told him I would get back to them after doing my own investigation. Now, if I was self-employed in any other capacity say builder or hairdresser I would be giving an income figure after all expenses so why do I have to give a figure without expenses taken off? As usual the guy was abrupt and told me he didn't make the rules etc etc.

On another note, has anyone ever spoken to anyone at tax creds who is vaguely personable? They treat you like a criminal, like you're lying and I end up sounding guilty and burbling on because I feel like I'm being cross-examined on the phone. Think will write letters from now on.

cheers.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    I think that you might find that letting out a house is looked on as investment income rather than earnings from self employment, but I'm sure that someone will be able to confirm that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 26 January 2010 at 6:54PM
    Options
    Do you complete a tax return?

What do you declare as your profit on the tax return?

I dont know the correct answer but I will try to find it when I get back to work tomorrow.
    ManicMum wrote: »
    On another note, has anyone ever spoken to anyone at tax creds who is vaguely personable? They treat you like a criminal, like you're lying and I end up sounding guilty and burbling on because I feel like I'm being cross-examined on the phone. Think will write letters from now on.

cheers.

A lot of the advice on this board comes from Tax Credit, DWP, CSA, CBO (and others I have missed) employees. It would be a bit nicer if you could moan about us on one of the other boards rather than in this one. You are asking for advice but then moaning in the same post.
  • ManicMum
    ManicMum Posts: 845 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I wasn't to know that advice came from these channels. I am only saying what I have found. That's all.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I wasn't to know that advice came from these channels. I am only saying what I have found. That's all.

I find that people tend to respond in much the same manner that they are spoken to - perhaps that is your problem?
  • ManicMum
    Options
    What is your problem more like? I came on here for advice not character assassination. Just because you aren't speaking to me direct doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions about people. You weren't there, you don't know what was said so i would kindly advise you to butt out.

I merely asked if other people had found tax credits to be similarly unhelpful. If I am the only person in the UK that finds them unhelpful and rude then I will accept that it is my problem but I doubt it very much.

I thought that this forum was for help but it just seems to be a board for some people to 'have a go' at others and conduct cyber bullying campaigns. You fall into that category.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    What is your problem more like? I came on here for advice not character assassination. Just because you aren't speaking to me direct doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions about people.

But you were the one who was casting aspersions at tax credit staff! Having had the situation pointed out to you, you've become very aggressive which is obviously going to make people think that this is the way you respond in real life!
  • ManicMum
    Options
    Casting aspersions? I was merely stating how I found their staff. So people aren't allowed to make comments about a particular organisation? That's democratic, not! I am not being aggressive, just defending myself against people who come on these forums to cause trouble. SO it's ok to moan about banks or whoever but not tax credits? Are tax credits staff above criticism?

For the record, I spoke to a very nice man today called Tom at Tax Credits. I must have been in one of my better moods as we got on very well. I'll keep taking the medication.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Say what you like about the staff on the DT board but not on this particular one please.

The information I found today states that you can deduct your expenses from your property income. But they must only be the costs directly related to the rental of your property. Eg. rental agency fees, repairs, servicing...
    I previously kept a record of the allowable deductions but this has been removed as some guidance has been updated.
    In regards to the mortgage, I don't think you can deduct the full the mortgage amount from your income but you can deduct the interest. This part is from memory so do not take this part as being 100% correct. You basically declare the taxable amount that would be shown on your tax return.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    What is your problem more like? I came on here for advice not character assassination. Just because you aren't speaking to me direct doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions about people. You weren't there, you don't know what was said so i would kindly advise you to butt out.

I merely asked if other people had found tax credits to be similarly unhelpful. If I am the only person in the UK that finds them unhelpful and rude then I will accept that it is my problem but I doubt it very much.

I thought that this forum was for help but it just seems to be a board for some people to 'have a go' at others and conduct cyber bullying campaigns. You fall into that category.

With that post you have proved my point.
  • ManicMum
    Options
    Bully

Bully

Bully
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income