Broadband. Who's the Cheapest? Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    forester.1 wrote:
    I have enrolled with talk-talk due july, when should I cancel tiscali? and do they charge. I have been with them 2 years (an old geezer beginning to panic)

Are you actually using Talk Talk now? If so, and you are happy with the service you can cancel Tiscali. There is no charge to cancel. Make sure you stop your direct debit with your bank.

If you are still waiting for Talk Talk to be switched on, wait until it is and you have had a few weeks of good service from them. This will let you iron out any problems.

Regards,
    Art.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Art wrote:
    If you are still waiting for Talk Talk to be switched on, wait until it is and you have had a few weeks of good service from them. This will let you iron out any problems.

Regards,
    Art.

Except that only one of these companies will be able to supply broadband to your line. i.e. Tiscali or Talk Talk, so you can't try them both out at the same time.

:rolleyes:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Art_2
    Options
    espresso wrote:
    Except that only one of these companies will be able to supply broadband to your line. i.e. Tiscali or Talk Talk, so you can't try them both out at the same time.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I assumed Tiscali was dial-up.

Regards,
    Art.
  • xomano
    xomano Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have seen the article about TalkTalk and became very interested, as you would. I asked around some of my friends as I play games online so my connection is essential to be able to partake. I have had mixed responses, but one friend said he had investigated the service and that he had discovered that P2P was discouraged by TalkTalk. Has anyone else heard about any issues for online gamers?
  • Ormr
    Ormr Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    It would appear that Talk Talk's 'Talk 3' offer is most suitable for my needs.

However, their availability check informs me that whilst their landline will be available in 3 weeks' time, the broadband would not be connected until the end of August.

I wish to ask, therefore, whether it would be possible to sign up for a 3 month trial with another provider, such as Freola or Freenetname in the interim - or will this be forbidden once my Talk Talk landline has been installed? I suppose that this also depends on when Talk Talk will provide my modem...

If anybody has any advice on this matter, and also regarding the reliability of the Talk Talk connection, I would be grateful to hear it.
  • Ormr
    Options
    From Clause 5.1 of the Terms and conditions

if we provide your LR Service over our LLU Network in the circumstances set out in clause
    2.1, you should be aware that you will not be able to access the broadband service offered by any other provider of broadband services
    (including without limitation any such service offered by your existing provider). Therefore, if you wish to enter a Contract with us which uses our
    LR Service or our LLU Network you will have to terminate your contract with your existing broadband internet service provider..

I think that I've just answered my own question. Does this mean that they expect people to be prepared to wait for 3 months without an internet connection?
    I happen to have access to an unsecured wireless network at present, but this is unreliable...
    Again, any help appreciated, since I am eager to take advantage of Talk Talk's phone-with-broadband offer, but am reluctant to go for so long without a proper internet connection.
  • Ormr
    Options
    xomano wrote:
    I have seen the article about TalkTalk and became very interested, as you would. I asked around some of my friends as I play games online so my connection is essential to be able to partake. I have had mixed responses, but one friend said he had investigated the service and that he had discovered that P2P was discouraged by TalkTalk. Has anyone else heard about any issues for online gamers?

From Broadband FAQ

We don't stop our customers using file-sharing software (often known as peer-to-peer or P2P), but we keep an eye out for anyone abusing the rules. We will work to restrict P2P users who slow down the network for everyone else (see below). And we certainly don't condone using P2P software to illegally share copyrighted music, or to breach any other local law or regulation.

We restrict P2P activity in peak hours to make sure that other general Internet use takes priority (including surfing, email, shopping, gaming and commercial downloads).

To stop selfish downloaders hogging bandwidth and slowing things down for everyone else we have a fair use policy. We won't bother you if it only happens occasionally, but if you regularly download excessive amounts using P2P we will get in touch. If you can't change your ways, we may restrict your P2P usage throughout the day. And if all else fails, as a last resort we may suspend your service and possibly close your account.

Internet morality...
  • Art_2
    Options
    Ormr wrote:
    From Clause 5.1 of the Terms and conditions

if we provide your LR Service over our LLU Network in the circumstances set out in clause
    2.1, you should be aware that you will not be able to access the broadband service offered by any other provider of broadband services
    (including without limitation any such service offered by your existing provider). Therefore, if you wish to enter a Contract with us which uses our
    LR Service or our LLU Network you will have to terminate your contract with your existing broadband internet service provider..

I think that I've just answered my own question. Does this mean that they expect people to be prepared to wait for 3 months without an internet connection?
    I happen to have access to an unsecured wireless network at present, but this is unreliable...
    Again, any help appreciated, since I am eager to take advantage of Talk Talk's phone-with-broadband offer, but am reluctant to go for so long without a proper internet connection.

Most ISPs quote about 10 days to activate your broadband and generally do it in less. I'd worry about a company that's quoting 3 months.

Are you on broadband at present? If so talk Talk will migrate you to their network from your present ISP when they are ready which means you won't be without service for too long.

If you are on dial-up you can keep this until a few days before switching to talk Talk and then cancel it.

Regards,
    Art.
  • Art_2
    Options
    Ormr wrote:
    From Broadband FAQ

We don't stop our customers using file-sharing software (often known as peer-to-peer or P2P), but we keep an eye out for anyone abusing the rules. We will work to restrict P2P users who slow down the network for everyone else (see below). And we certainly don't condone using P2P software to illegally share copyrighted music, or to breach any other local law or regulation.

We restrict P2P activity in peak hours to make sure that other general Internet use takes priority (including surfing, email, shopping, gaming and commercial downloads).

To stop selfish downloaders hogging bandwidth and slowing things down for everyone else we have a fair use policy. We won't bother you if it only happens occasionally, but if you regularly download excessive amounts using P2P we will get in touch. If you can't change your ways, we may restrict your P2P usage throughout the day. And if all else fails, as a last resort we may suspend your service and possibly close your account.

Internet morality...

Most ISPs 'throttle' their bandwidth to try to even out the demands on their service.

It will be interesting to see how the offer from Talk Talk works out for subscribers. I have just looked on ADSLGuide.org.uk and compared them with 5 other ISPs and they are bottom of the ratings on speed, reliability and customer service.

Regards,
    Art.
  • t8769
    t8769 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Beware Plusnet

I signed up only to find that there is NO TELEPHONE HELPLINE SERVICE

I mean they do not answer the phones, day or night. I've called 20 times.

If you want an ISP that you cannot contact, then this is your company!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure