PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Saving money by NOT meal planning !!

Options

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I meal plan religiously, usually 2 weeks in advance but it is very flexible. When shopping I always budget £5 or so for reduced items, most of which go into the freezer and get added to my freezer inventory & incorporated into future meal planning, but sometimes I change what I have planned due to a good bargain, change of circumstances or whimsey. I just roll the planned meal over to the start of the next week or whenever my next unplanned day is or add it back to my avaible freezer inventory to be re-planned sometime in the future. If I have leftovers but am already defrosting the next nights meal components that's OK, most leftovers will keep for 48 hours in the fridge or much longer in the freezer. Often I plan for leftovers too though!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends what your budget is. On the initially mentioned £50 or £60 a week I would not need to budget at all!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Hi,Sarah,can you tell me how many you cater for and pass on your meal-planning strategies? :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have been psycologically scarred by meal planning:D

Well ok thats maybe a bit of and exaggeration but for years and years when i was a kid we would have the same on Monday same on tuesday same on wednesday --- you get the picture.

I hated Wednesdays cos that was mince night (mum called it shepards pie but it was fried mince and mashed potatoes and i hated it - not a great cook my mum bless her!) i actually used to really dread coming home from school on a weds cos its not as if there was ever a choice!

On the other hand i loved Fridays cos it was Beans on Toast night !!!

So that has left me very cold when it comes to any kind of meal planning although this of course often means i am starving and wondering what i want to eat and then have to defrost and cook. (or eat lots of beans on toast which i do!)
    Still rather have this im afraid than my mums regimented way.
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    My pantry list is pretty comprehensive.

Can you tell us what's in it???!!! My own storecupboard is pretty comprehensive too, but I'm always nosy about other people's!!

I do a bit of both... I meal plan at the beginning of the month, based on what's in the freezer/storecupboard and I check my plan before going shopping, but if there's something at Tesco's on special offer then that goes into the meal plan for that week and one of the meals gets bumped on to the next week.

I've just had the kids off sick and not eating for a week while the DH was in France, so my meal plan for that week just didn't happen - everything got lobbed into the freezer until next week (or didn't come out of it in the first place).
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to say that I go from one extreme to the other. Sometimes I meal plan so eficiently - even factoring in leftovers (but always allowing for alterations if there are bargains.)
    Then other times, I check out what's in the freezer and larder, work out how many extra main courses are needed, plus things that have run out, or nearly run out & are written on the notepad on the fridge door, and do the shopping based on that.
    I don't think there is a "right" way to do it - we all have our different ways, but it is good to see what others do, cos I like trying out different ideas .. they might be better than what I am doing at the moment!
    My latest idea is to use an A5 diary - it was one given to DH by his brother - who had been given quantities of them at work from different customers. DH didn't want it, either, so I snaffled it. I just use it for meals and spending. When I first got it, I menu planned for the week ahead & used it to make the shopping list etc. The last couple of weeks I have just written down what we had for dinner. I figure that will be a good reference for future meal planning!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 October 2009 at 7:08AM
    Options
    OK,you asked for it......

Baking supplies- Flour-plain,self-raising and bread (wholemeal and white)
    cornflour
    oats

baking powder, bicarb, yeast, gelatine, food colourings
    choc chips, cocoa, coconut, sunflower seeds
    sultanas, dried apricots, raisins

granulated sugar, demerara, soft brown sugar, icing sugar, golden syrup, black treacle

Dry goods- Cream crackers, ryvitas, popcorn kernels
    long grain rice, brown rice
    pasta-spaghetti, lasagne, macaroni, penne/fusilli
    barley

dried pulses-chick peas, mung beans (for sprouting), kidney beans, haricot beans, red lentils, green lentils

Tins and cartons- tomatoes, tomato puree, passata, tuna, mackerel, baked beans, peaches, pineapple, mandarins
    UHT milk (for yogurt), orange juice, apple juice,

Sauces and flavourings- Worcester, soy, mayo, honey, mustard (dijon, English), marmite, stock powder, ketchup,

jams, jellies, chutneys, pickles (all hm)

wine vinegar, olive oil, sunflower oil, lemon oil(extravagant,but fab in salads)
    large selection of spices and herbs
    sherry, vermouth

tea, ground coffee

Fridge- eggs, milk, butter, yogurt (hm), bacon, ham, cheddar, parmesan

Freezer- pittas, hm loaves and rolls
    berries (home picked/grown+ blueberries)
    peas, sweetcorn
    Whole chickens, mince, sausages, hm chicken stock, whatever fish I've bought for the week
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nelski wrote:
    I have been psycologically scarred by meal planning:D

Well ok thats maybe a bit of and exaggeration but for years and years when i was a kid we would have the same on Monday same on tuesday same on wednesday --- you get the picture..

Not sure that's quite my idea of meal planning! :D
    Although it would be easier than spending an evening or two trawling through recipe books or previous menu plans for things that people liked when I served it before!
    But I s'pose at least your mum didn't have to wonder what to cook that night!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    Hi,Sarah,can you tell me how many you cater for and pass on your meal-planning strategies? :)

I did do it on £20 a week for me and 3 kids, now theres 2 adults and 2 kids so sometimes it moves toward £30.

I get £20 out of the bank on Saturday.
    It goes in a separate purse which is groceries only. Comes from a separate account which only has child benefit in it.
    Occasionally do the odd tesco order which i did today for heavy stuff, as we don't like to shop with the kids. I want them not to take being a consumer for granted if you get my drift!?
    I do not buy detergent I make laundry gloop.
    No crisps, ready meals, pop, instant coffee, hardly any 'branded' anything.Got a lot of herbs growing in the garden.
    Dishwasher powder or tablets from poundland.
    Saturday trawl of the market Apples, bananas, carrots, one or two other veg, and one or two other fruit though i usually top that up mid week so it stays fresh. Have a look at the meat market and maybe get something like fish or a rabbit (had pigeon for valentine's £1.30!!!)
    Then I use a butchers which I know has things from 'major high street retailer - not just food... just unlabelled. £2 for a tray of good sausages, which i get about fortnightly. Didnt buy eggs till my hens got killed by a fox.
    I tend to but meat whole rather than in pieces, i.e. a joint of meat rather than chops etc. I do go to the co-op and get the reduced to clear stuff same in sainsburys, and freeze it, but only go there if I'm passing.
    Zam Zam's halal butchers does excellent chicken, lamb, mutton, and huge bags of chicken legs for £1! If Im low at the end of the week its a great treat to have cajun chicken legs and the bonus is you get to make lots of stock too!

My meal plan is done on a sunday after we have had the roast, which will usually become rubber something or other, i.e. rubber chicken. Last week we had roast chicken on sunday, chicken biryani on Monday. I plan according to what I have in and try not to get any extra stuff. I saw a recipe I fancied today as I had left today as a '?' as i sometimes do, and in fact i had all i needed i just had to think really hard about it! So my meal plan is not like my friend Jane at school who always had egg and chips on a set day of the week, every week :rolleyes:

hope this makes sense.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • frugglewump
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    OK,you asked for it......

With very very few differences that could be my store cupboard. I do not like meal planning as I never know how much time i will have to cook & OH gets sudden whims for food :)
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure