PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with syrup?

Options
I had to buy 4 large tins of syrup as I needed the tins themselves to make home made stilts like I had when I was a kid, lol.

I'm now left with the contents poured into a large bowl and don't know what to do with it. Seems a waste to throw it out. but I can't eat it on toast or anything like that, not my thing.

Any ideas? There's a huuuuuuuuge bowlful. :(
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Syrup has a long shelf life,as does all sugar,so,if you find some other way of storing it like an ice cream tub or empty jam jars it should be fine for at least a year.

I use golden syrup in flapjacks,and on porridge but you don't need much for these.Most gingerbread recipes include syrup,it's also nice drizzled on pancakes.
    HTH
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Flapjacks! Now my OH loves flapjacks. :) Good idea.

That involves actually making them though doesn't it. :( My kitchen skills are almost non-existant, lol. Need to go look for an idiot's guide to flapjack making.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Syrup pudding, syrup on bottom of bowl, cover with cake mix, steam or cook in microwave and turn out when cooked, delicious!!!!!
    Catherine x
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Treacle tart would be nice too!!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Flapjacks

Makes 12
    You need a tin about 13'' by 9''

In a saucepan melt gently 5 oz butter, 3oz demerara sugar and 1 tbsp of golden syrup.

Add 8 oz porridge oats,stir till all coated with syrup mixture.

Press into the greased tin.

Bake at 190c/gas mark 5 for about 25 mins.Check after 20 mins as they burn easily-I find 23 mins is best,but ovens vary.

Leave to cool completely in the tin. To turnout, turn the tin upside down on a chopping board and give it a bash.the whole thing should fall out,then you can turn it over and cut into fingers.

I make 4 dozen of these every week for my children's school Healthy Tuck Shop(they're not actually very healthy :o )They always go down well.

edited 10/12/06 - I actually get best results using a tin measuring 10'' by 6''. Sorry:o not sure why I didn't check.
  • aliasojo
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    1 tbsp of golden syrup.

On my, there's at least 1000 x 1 tbsp's worth in that bowl. What am I going to do with the rest of it? :rotfl:

Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe, much appreciated. :)

My OH will be pleasantly surprised. (Or shocked out of his socks that I've actually made something :rolleyes: .)

:D
  • aliasojo
    Options
    ronankfan wrote:
    Treacle tart would be nice too!!

Don't you need treacle for that? :confused:

:rotfl:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Mars bars cake..... mars bar, syrup, butter and crispies or cornflakes icon12.gif

You could make enough for the entire neighbourhood icon7.gif
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naked wrestling?
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    aliasojo wrote:
    On my, there's at least 1000 x 1 tbsp's worth in that bowl. What am I going to do with the rest of it? :rotfl:
    Yeah,I know,I always quadruple the recipe and freeze them.I just can't think of any recipe that uses a huge amount of syrup.Someone mentioned treacle tart(which is made with golden syrup not treacle ;) ) but that doesn't use up the quantities you have.

Syrup does keep well though,I've just looked at the 'best before' date on my tin and it says end Nov 2007.'Best before' dates refer to deterioration of quality,whereas 'use by' refers to the date after which it would not be safe to eat.I'd put it in a container. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure