Halifax to relaunch regular saver @10%+

Options

Comments

• cmac
    cmac Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    This is great guys
    thank you for your help i`m great at reclaiming money via this site BUT saving is another matter
    cmac x
  • cmac
    Options
    I've just thought about her A&L account. Is she using it as a proper account rather than a dumping ground for £ 2.5k?
    Sorry for clogging an already long thread.
    We can always delete our posts, eh cmac?
    no shes not using it at all it was to get their ISA last year and shes not done anything with it
    yes I ll happly delete as well - not done that yet either but willing to have a go
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    cmac wrote: »
    no shes not using it at all it was to get their ISA last year and shes not done anything with it
    yes I ll happly delete as well - not done that yet either but willing to have a go

It's already a long thread. Unless I get loud objections, I'll leave my input in case it gives people ideas.
    Thinking about it,
    8.5% is better than 6.5% so maybe simpler for her to drip feed each month from BM into A&L for the 12 months.
    So:
    5k immediately in halifax guaranteed saver reward 6.25%
    2.5k immediately in her A&L 8.5% account
    3.5k immediately in a BM 6.5% account
    Set up SO out of A&L to RS for £500 each month
    SO or manual payment out of BM ( can't remember if it has to be manual) £500 each month to A&L to bring back the A&L balance back up to £2500 and also satisfy the funding requirements.
    Sorted ?
    EDIT:
    Each month, the A&L account will receive interest taking it over the £2.5k mark. Rather than send that back to BM and lose a few days interest, you could open an A&L esaver @6.5% with £1( http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/savings/esaver.aspx) and shift the interest into it. There are withdrawal penalties but if you use it purely for shifting the interest and leave the account alone and close it in a year,( July) you should be fine.

You did say you didn't mind a little hassle to make your Mum's money work for her.lol.
    Don't forget all the R85 forms for each account.
  • cmac
    Options
    It's already a long thread. Unless I get loud objections, I'll leave my input in case it gives people ideas.
    Thinking about it,
    8.5% is better than 6.5% so maybe simpler to drip feed each month from BM into A&L for the 12 months.
    So:
    5k in guaranteed saver
    2.5k immediately in A&L
    3.5k immediately in BM
    SO out of A&L to RS £500 each month
    SO or manual payment out of BM ( can't remember if it has to be manual) £500each month to A&L to bring back to £2500 and satisfy the funding requirements.
    Sorted?

that sounds fantastic my only consern is I seem to remember that A+L is 8.5% only on 2500 for the year and sorry for being a bit dim but if she puts all the money in there over the year will she not lose out?:confused:
  • sloughflint
    Options
    that sounds fantastic my only consern is I seem to remember that A+L is 8.5% only on 2500 for the year and sorry for being a bit dim but if she puts all the money in there over the year will she not lose out?:confused:
    No she wouldn't lose out.

Breaking down her 11k:
    5k would be static and earning 6.25% for the whole year
    The remaining 6k would be at various places in the year but always at a better place than the suggested 5.12% Halifax account.
    It would be a mixture of 8.5%, 6.5% and 12%.
    Does that help, or do I need to fine tune the explanation a bit more with calculations?
  • cmac
    Options
    No she wouldn't lose out.

Breaking down her 11k:
    5k would be static and earning 6.25% for the whole year
    The remaining 6k would be at various places in the year but always at a better place than the suggested 5.12% Halifax account.
    It would be a mixture of 8.5%, 6.5% and 12%.
    Does that help, or do I need to fine tune the explanation a bit more with calculations?
    no thats great I understand and its if the balance goes above 2500 that the interest rate drops with A+L you`ve been a real help
    hope to talk again thank you cmac :j
  • sloughflint
    Options
    The only thing I'd check cmac is if A&L are really still paying her 8.5%. You say she opened it last year. A&L are notorious for dropping their rates after a certain amount of time ( hence why MSE close their accounts and open a new one later;)).
    Also if she's not been using it, has she not been getting under-funding charges?

( I've deleted one post further up where I first suggested BM but messy way of funding in case you are confused )
  • cmac
    Options
    The only thing I'd check cmac is if A&L are really still paying her 8.5%. You say she opened it last year. A&L are notorious for dropping their rates after a certain amount of time ( hence why MSE close their accounts and open a new one later;)).
    Also if she's not been using it, has she not been getting under-funding charges?
    I hope not but will check all this out first
  • sloughflint
    Options
    hello folks
    i`ve just came off the phone to halifax my mum has 11k to invest
    nice chappy suggested
    12% in regular saver £500 a month drip fed from 2 high interest accounts @ 5.12% money coming out month about.
    and 5k in guaranted saver @ 6.25%
    this works out just shy of 900 in interest for the year
    does this seem good to you guys ?
    my mum really needs her money to work for her she pays no tax
    thank you
    I've just realised what that nice chappy of yours was suggesting to you..... Two high interest current accounts that require £1000 pcm funding to get the 5.12%.
    What an idiot!
    I presume your Mum doesn't have a spare 2k per month to fund two current accounts?
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope someone can help me :)

I have exactly 5K to invest. What should I do? And how much interest will I have after 1 year?

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport