NEW ISA Rule 2024

Options
financehelp23
financehelp23 Posts: 28 Forumite
First Post
edited 18 April at 2:08PM in ISAs & tax-free savings
Hi, can you save with multiple providers of 2024/25 Cahs ISA? For example. You save 5000 with one bank cash ISA and save another 15000 with another bank cahs ISA. Both added same or less than 20000 limit. I think HMRC allows save same type ISA with different providers from 2024? Thanks 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The short answer is yes, the revised rules allow this.

However, as covered on numerous threads, some institutions haven't yet updated their systems and declarations, so will suggest that you can't....
  • financehelp23
    financehelp23 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 18 April at 8:15PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:

However, as covered on numerous threads, some institutions haven't yet updated their systems and declarations, so will suggest that you can't....
    I see, yes I opened one and deposit small amount and now I regret to use them. I am thinking just leave that samll amlount there and open another one and pay the remianing amount Seems more make sense rather than contact them and wait them to close. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:

I see, yes I opened one and deposit small amount and now I regret to use them. I am thinking just leave that samll amlount there and open another one and pay the remianing amount Seems more make sense rather than contact them and wait them to close. 
    You could always open a new one and transfer the existing one into it, which would avoid wasting some of your annual allowance, if that's relevant to you - if you invoke the new provider's ISA transfer process then it all just happens automatically with no need to deal with the old provider at all.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,182 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, if you open an ISA with an amount of money then close it again by withdrawing that money then strictly you have used that part of your ISA allowance.  So if that small amount was £200 then the maximum amount you can deposit in ISAs elsewhere this tax year becomes £19,800.  I'm not sure how the new rules apply if that old account was a flexible ISA.  
    Reed
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,336 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure how the new rules apply if that old account was a flexible ISA.  
    Money flexibly withdrawn from a current year ISA could always be replaced in any valid ISA. That now includes a different cash ISA.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,182 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would it still count as a flexible withdrawal if you withdrew all the money and closed the account?  Or would you have to leave the account open with a zero balance?
    Reed
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would it still count as a flexible withdrawal if you withdrew all the money and closed the account?  Or would you have to leave the account open with a zero balance?
    A minor problem you might have is that when you close the account there will be interest added (I'm assuming). If you subscribe £10,000 and then close the flexi account (same tax year), receiving £10,100 (say) your net contributions for that account will be £0, so you can then put the £10k into another ISA. However the interest can only go back where it came from, otherwise it's lost from the ISA system, but you've closed the account.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,630 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It still counts as flexible and can be repaid into any other ISA
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,336 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April at 7:30PM
    Options
    As @slinger2 says above, only the current year subscription can be replaced in another ISA without consuming additional allowance, not any interest earned on it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback