Problems with the Pakistan Embassy re Visas

Options
My ralations from Trinidad and Tobago were booked to fly from London to Pakistan the other day. The Pakistan Government website clearly shows that Trinidad passport holders do not require a travel visa. That said, upon checking in with Qatar airlines at Heathrow airport they were unable to fly and were told that Pakistan has recently changed its rules and travellers now require a visa.
The situation gets a bit messy as I booked and paid for the flight from the UK on their behalf on a visa card. My relation also applied for a visa approximately 3 weeks ago to be on the safe side. The visa application does show up as 'being processed' on line but there is no way of knowing how long this visa will take. There is absolutely no way you can contact the Pakistan office as the phone just shuts off. Their website still shows that no visa is required.
At the moment, the travel agent was able to defer the outward flight in anticipation of receiving this visa, but as time moves on, this is looking less likely.
Currently, my relations look to loose quite a bit of money on this holiday despite it being no fault of there own. Was wondering if anybody else out there was having issues with the Pakistan embassy in London and what to do should a claim be necessary and against whom?
Many thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My ralations from Trinidad and Tobago were booked to fly from London to Pakistan the other day. The Pakistan Government website clearly shows that Trinidad passport holders do not require a travel visa. That said, upon checking in with Qatar airlines at Heathrow airport they were unable to fly and were told that Pakistan has recently changed its rules and travellers now require a visa.
    The situation gets a bit messy as I booked and paid for the flight from the UK on their behalf on a visa card. My relation also applied for a visa approximately 3 weeks ago to be on the safe side. The visa application does show up as 'being processed' on line but there is no way of knowing how long this visa will take. There is absolutely no way you can contact the Pakistan office as the phone just shuts off. Their website still shows that no visa is required.
    At the moment, the travel agent was able to defer the outward flight in anticipation of receiving this visa, but as time moves on, this is looking less likely.
    Currently, my relations look to loose quite a bit of money on this holiday despite it being no fault of there own. Was wondering if anybody else out there was having issues with the Pakistan embassy in London and what to do should a claim be necessary and against whom?
    Many thanks in anticipation.
    The High Commission of Pakistan in London (they do not have an embassy, different terminology) may not be able to help that much, they are largely there to help UK citizens an they do not have many staff in the UK.

The Ministry of Interior does say that those with Trinidad and Tobago citizenship should be able to use the Visa on arrival option. The E-Visa/ETA should be almost instant online. 

Qatar Airways say on their site:
    E-visas can be obtained before departure at https://visa.nadra.gov.pk/ . Passengers must have a printed e-visa confirmation which can be verified at https://visa.nadra.gov.pk/verify/
    This does not apply to refugees and stateless persons.
    Nationals of Trinidad and Tobago traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 30 days if they have a printed copy of an ETA and :
    - a photograph; and
    - an invitation letter issued by the sponsor; or
    - a hotel booking confirmation; or
    - a group invitation letter issued by the tour operator designated by the department of tourist services in Pakistan.
    They must apply for the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) 48 to 72 hours before departure at https://visa.nadra.gov.pk/e-visa/ .

Are you relatives planning on staying for longer than thirty days?

Those are the contact details, are those the ones you have been trying?
    https://visa.nadra.gov.pk/contact/ 
  • blackbirdxx
    blackbirdxx Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the info..
    The requirement for a printed ETA wasn't on the indicated Pakistani government website when we applied (and still not). My relation applied for the ETA about 3 weeks ago but it has still not yet been received and there is absolutely no person picking up a phone.
    It appears unlikely now that this ETA will come trough in time for this holiday so we are looking to see if it is possible to get any of the flight money back. Would this be an insurance claim for example as we did everything correctly in accordance with the government website?.
    Any ideas of how we should progress this??
  • blackbirdxx
    Options
    I'm being told also that the Qatar airway website did not say that a visa was required at that time.
  • blackbirdxx
    Options
    The NADRA website is still showing that the ETA was applied for on 22 March and is showing 'in process'
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Many thanks for the info..
    The requirement for a printed ETA wasn't on the indicated Pakistani government website when we applied (and still not). My relation applied for the ETA about 3 weeks ago but it has still not yet been received and there is absolutely no person picking up a phone.
    It appears unlikely now that this ETA will come trough in time for this holiday so we are looking to see if it is possible to get any of the flight money back. Would this be an insurance claim for example as we did everything correctly in accordance with the government website?.
    Any ideas of how we should progress this??
    Unfortunately not, any refund would be at the discretion of the airline, potentially just the taxes on the flight. 
    I'm being told also that the Qatar airway website did not say that a visa was required at that time.
    Unfortunately, again, that is irrelevant, airlines do their best to keep visa information up to date, but they are in no way liable for that information and meeting the entry requirements is entirely on the passenger.
    The NADRA website is still showing that the ETA was applied for on 22 March and is showing 'in process'
    Have they used the web form as well to query? With regard to the phone, are they taking into account the 4-5 hour time difference? Have they contacted just the visa number, or the general contact numbers as well?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback