I've really screwed up with my ISAs tonight :(

Options
Hello

I lost my dad recently, and so not really thinking straight.

Tonight I closed my Virgin ISA (85k @ 0.25% interest) and transferred the money to my nominated account (eg current account) thinking I could then transfer this to my new cash ISA with a different provider.

Of course I should have used an ISA transfer form so I assume I have now lost the tax-free interest on all that money :(

What would be the best "safe bet" alternatives now this money is out of the ISA system ?

I'm a high tax rate payer

Thanks

Comments

• rallycurve
    rallycurve Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    50k to premium bonds and 20k into a new ISA? That way you'd retain 70k tax free. Assuming you haven't put any money into an ISA this tax year
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the account was a flexible ISA and they can be persuaded to reopen it, then you can simply pay the money back in.

You may re-open an ISA where it was closed earlier in the same tax year if the investor wants to either:

• resume subscriptions
    • make flexible ISA replacement subscriptions for funds from a previous year that they withdrew in the current year
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/close-void-or-repair-an-isa-if-youre-an-isa-manager#closing-an-isa
  • justpassingthrough24
    Options
    I'm sorry about your dad :(

As others have said, try and speak to Virgin first to see if they can reverse the transaction. 

Otherwise if you don't need the money anytime soon, you could consider a SIPP? Would give you immediate savings as a high rate tax payer and can rollover up to 3 years of the annual allowance.
  • swayzak
    swayzak Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all

I had already opened Closer Brothers ISA with this year's 20k allowance, and wanted to move the Virgin money into this too to take advantage of the (much) higher interest rate

I will call Virgin this morning (but don't hold out much hope)

So I effectively have 86k to reinvest somewhere (but want low/near zero risk, like an ISA)..
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    That's great news and reflects well on Virgin if they can do that for you. Hopefully that'll work out because saving £105k with any one bank wouldn't be wise, especially if you're risk averse.

£85k is the maximum you should save (in total) across all the accounts you hold with any one financial institution because that's the most you'll get back from the FSCS if they were to fail. The only exception to this is NS&I where all your deposits are secure, no matter what the total.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    swayzak said:
    Tonight I closed my Virgin ISA (85k @ 0.25% interest) and transferred the money to my nominated account (eg current account) thinking I could then transfer this to my new cash ISA with a different provider.

Of course I should have used an ISA transfer form so I assume I have now lost the tax-free interest on all that money :(
    swayzak said:
    Virgin are going to reinstate the ISA

Just need to expedite the bounce back of the 84k I transferred over to Closer Bro account last night & then transfer back to my Virgin ISA
    Just to emphasise, the word 'transfer' does have very specific connotations when discussing ISAs, i.e. it signifies a direct movement from one ISA to another, so, even though the word can legitimately be used in a looser sense, it's probably better to stick to 'deposit' and 'withdraw' for movements into and out of the ISA shelter, to minimise potential confusion.  Glad that VM are playing ball, and, as both you and Close Brothers recognise, you can't deposit £84K into an ISA anyway, so yes, that payment will bounce back to your current account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback