Old Barclays DB Pension

Options
Hi, I  would appreciate some advice as I am trying to understand my pension and what it will mean at retirement age  I have a Barclays Pension DB (1964 scheme) the transfer value has dropped over the last couple of years but I have learnt this will not affect the figures long term. I am 54 and the pension would be paid at normal retirement age of 60. I am  female and I joined in 1987 and left in 1995. I have several figures including-  

GMP built up before 6 April 1988 -£57
GMP built up after 5 April 1988 -£436
Scheme pension (over the MP) built up before 6 April 1997- £1250
Total Scheme pension-£1743

with a £218 state pension deduction 

would anyone know how to calculate this at all. 

Thanks a lot in advance. 

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6328992/ex-barclays-gmp-pension/p1

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6277922/barclays-1964-pension-and-gmp

This scheme has been mentioned a number of times on the forum, (examples above) the latest being here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80590712/#Comment_80590712

Do you have access to the on line portal?

In your particular case,  you left the scheme before  1997 so that your Guaranteed Minimum Pension revalues at Fixed Rate.

You may be affected by the GMP equalisation exercise.

https://epa.towerswatson.com/accounts/barclays/public/barclays-bank-gmp-faqs/#:~:text=Which members could be affected,when GMPs stopped building up)

https://epa.towerswatson.com/accounts/barclays/public/barclays-bank-ukrf-news-making-pensions-equal-gmp/

It seems from the latest thread above that with regard to GMP equalisation, your individual calculation might not have been done.

As things stood when you left, you would have expected your GMP (pre and post) to revalue at Fixed Rate (7% at your Date of Leaving) 

to age 60 and the excess to revalue under Scheme Rules  to age 60 ( seems to be  June  RPI max 5%) but you would need to check with

WTW. 

Pre 2010. female state pension age was 60 so that Barclays would have made the SPD at that age for the female pensioners.

However, state pension age has increased (yours to  age 67) - it appears that Barclays will not make the deduction from your

pension until that age.

As things stood, once you started drawing your pension at age 60, there would have been no obligation on the scheme to pay increases on that part of your pension that was pre 88 GMP or anything above 3% CPI on post 88 GMP.  The excess would increase under scheme rules.

Have you obtained a state pension forecast?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Were you a member of any other contracted out pension after leaving Barclays?

If not, what is the COPE shown on your forecast?

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,367 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    1964 scheme used to send annual benefit statements.  Do you not still get those?  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • FIREDreamer
    FIREDreamer Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I  would appreciate some advice as I am trying to understand my pension and what it will mean at retirement age  I have a Barclays Pension DB (1964 scheme) the transfer value has dropped over the last couple of years but I have learnt this will not affect the figures long term. I am 54 and the pension would be paid at normal retirement age of 60. I am  female and I joined in 1987 and left in 1995. I have several figures including-  

GMP built up before 6 April 1988 -£57
    GMP built up after 5 April 1988 -£436
    Scheme pension (over the MP) built up before 6 April 1997- £1250
    Total Scheme pension-£1743

with a £218 state pension deduction 

would anyone know how to calculate this at all. 

Thanks a lot in advance. 
    The revaluation factor to end 2023 is 117.1% and your GMP appears to have fixed rate revaluation of 7%.

Your approx current benefits are …

Pre 1988 GMP: 57 x 1.07^29 = 405.51
    Post 1988 GMP: 436 x 1.07^29 = 3,101.81
    Non GMP: 1250 x 2.1171 = 2,646.37

Total = £6,153.69

This will continue to be revalued up to normal retirement date.

Sorry I cannot help with the state pension deduction - it may be just £217 pa deducted from this pension from SPA or it may be a higher revalued amount.

• xylophone
    Options
    Sorry I cannot help with the state pension deduction - it may be just £217 pa deducted from this pension from SPA or it may be a higher revalued amount.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/62875440/#Comment_62875440

"In the scheme a deduction is made to the Barclays pension once a member reaches SPA. The maximum SPD is 50% of the single person's Basic State Pension in force when you leave the Scheme. The maximum will only apply if you have completed more than 40 years of service. The maximum in any individual case is 12.5% of total gross pension entitlement before any reduction for early payment. The amount of the deduction, as shown on your pension quotation, is fixed and does not increase over your retirement.

• Snowwhite69
    Snowwhite69 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Oh wow so much useful information, thanks so much. 
    I’ve just checked my pension forecast and I have 38 full years with 13 years available to still contribute. 
    It also says “Your forecast is £221.20 a week, £961.83 a month, £11,541.90 a year” 
    from September 2036 
    Many thanks again for everyone’s help with this. 😊
  • Snowwhite69
    First Post
    Options
    I also have a SANTANDER (UK) GROUP PENSION SCHEME – GROUP SECTION 1996
    which says 
    YOUR PENSION 
    AS AT 2 JUN 2007
    £1,123.56 per 

which I believe is a DB pension too 

I started working there in 1997. 
    Any information in this too would be gratefully appreciated. 
    Many thanks 
  • xylophone
    Options
    It also says “Your forecast is £221.20 a week, £961.83 a month, £11,541.90 a year” 
    from September 2036 

What is shown at "Estimate  based on your National Insurance Record to 5/4/23 (4)"?

What is the COPE shown? (Click on link "You have been contracted out...."
  • Snowwhite69
    First Post
    Options

Your forecast

• is not a guarantee and is based on the current law
    • is based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2023
    • does not include any increase due to inflation

£221.20 is the most you can get

You cannot improve your forecast any more.

And 

Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE)

Your COPE estimate is £23.03 a week

thank you Xylophone 😊
  • Snowwhite69
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the Santander info also. 

So I’m assuming the £1123.56 on my Benpal page  is the number  of years of Pensionable Service before 6 April 2010  X
    1/60th of my Final Pensionable Salary at your retirement date. 
    I can’t see anywhere what the growth percentage per year would be. 
    Would you know what this is likely to be.
    many thanks 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure