Octopus - which tariff is better?

Options
javixeneize
javixeneize Posts: 157 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi

i was in a flexible tariff with octopus, and in February I moved to the loyal octopus 12m fixed.

Unless I have made a crazy mistake, those prices are better than the new ones in the flexible tariff after 1st April so I think this was a wise movement

however, I am considering the agile or the tracker ones, but I have no indication on what are the prices there, as those are at wholesale market prices.

do anybody have a rough indication what would be the average price for those tariffs for the next months, and if those are better off than the loyal one?

thanks

Comments

• northernstar007
    northernstar007 Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 1:43AM
    Options
    current daily prices for tracker (change drop down menu for area) Gas Tracker (oraclecloudapps.com)
    and for daily agile prices Octopus Agile North Eastern England | Energy Stats UK (energy-stats.uk) again change area at top of page under agile
  • zxzxzx
    zxzxzx Posts: 23 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Octopus Compare App will show you comparison of tariffs for your electric usage. Prices for agile etc are wholesale based and vary day by day/hour by hour so you need to adjust how you use electricity to gain best results. Very cheap if you have solar/batteries and can shift time of use.
  • spot1034
    spot1034 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The whole point of Agile/Tracker is that you can't predict prices months ahead. Even with the SVT you can see a little way into the future, although it will eventually reflect whatever the wholesale price was a few months before. 

If the wholesale price rises, Agile and Tracker will pass this on before the SVT or a fix that you're already on, which will obviously give you certainty until the day it ends.
  • javixeneize
    edited 28 March at 10:50AM
    Options
    Hi

I don’t have solar panels or similar and I’m aware how it works, what I am after is any data for the last year for example, where they show what was the average price and compare it with the fixed tariff

thanks
  • zxzxzx
    zxzxzx Posts: 23 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ahh, I see. Change to your area. Does not compare, but you can look month by month and compare to your bills?

https://agileprices.co.uk/?region=H
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi

I don’t have solar panels or similar and I’m aware how it works, what I am after is any data for the last year for example, where they show what was the average price and compare it with the fixed tariff

thanks
    I don't have solar panels or batteries, yet, but I pay around half to two thirds of the SVT rate on Agile. Tracker is slightly dearer than Agile, but still cheaper than the SVT and you don't have to usage in the evening peak.

You'll need a smart meter, of course, to use the TOU tariffs.
  • javixeneize
    edited 28 March at 12:28PM
    Options
    zxzxzx said:
    Ahh, I see. Change to your area. Does not compare, but you can look month by month and compare to your bills?

https://agileprices.co.uk/?region=H
    That’s kind of what I was after. Thanks!

What about tracker? I heard the price changes once per day, is there similar data?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 March at 12:42PM
    Options

What about tracker? I heard the price changes once per day, is there similar data?

https://dashboards.energy-stats.uk/d/5cZqqmf4z/user-dashboard?orgId=1&var-area_name=Eastern_England
    Select your region from the upper left drop down box. Date range can be selected from the right hand drop down. Scroll down to find which tariff you are interested in. One thing to note - The numbers are rounded to one decimal place.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • javixeneize
    Options
    Right, that’s really helpful, thanks

final question, in the tracker tariff, how is the daily price calculated? Is it the average of the all the agile values from the previous day?

thanks
  • youravinalarrrf
    youravinalarrrf Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's probably worth reading the FAQ's so you can understand the basics https://octopus.energy/tracker-faqs/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback