Applying to work part time. Bank Holiday situation?

Options
I am 56 and I want to apply to work 80% of the week on my glide slope to retirement at 58 and would like the Monday as my day off, potentially.  As a higher rate tax payer, that 5th day would not "cost" me 20% of my take home pay because it would be compensated for by the drop in the 40% tax liability.

However, since Monday is normally the day for bank Holidays in the UK, how would this work out for me?  Is it just tough and you just have to suck up the fact that everyone else is also off on that day on full pay and I won't be?

Do the Bank Holidays get pro-rated so that rather than get 8 days for a normal FTE I'd just get 4/5 x 8 ????  if so then how does that work when the whole company would be off on the bank holidays anyway?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Bue21
    Bue21 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Check your company policy but most will pro rata the bank holidays. For example you will get x hours towards bank holidays and then have to book leave for any that aren’t covered by your entitlement. It depends how many days leave your employer gives as standard as they cannot go below  the equivalent of 5.6 weeks but this can include bank holidays
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems to be a hot topic - clearly Monday as a non-working day is a favourite choice! https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6516472/bank-holiday-entitlement#latest
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am 56 and I want to apply to work 80% of the week on my glide slope to retirement at 58 and would like the Monday as my day off, potentially.  As a higher rate tax payer, that 5th day would not "cost" me 20% of my take home pay because it would be compensated for by the drop in the 40% tax liability.

However, since Monday is normally the day for bank Holidays in the UK, how would this work out for me?  Is it just tough and you just have to suck up the fact that everyone else is also off on that day on full pay and I won't be?

Do the Bank Holidays get pro-rated so that rather than get 8 days for a normal FTE I'd just get 4/5 x 8 ????  if so then how does that work when the whole company would be off on the bank holidays anyway?

Thanks in advance
    the  full-timer's BH entitlement is pro rated and so, yes, 4/5 x 8.  That would be added to the pro rated "flexible" element of the holiday entitlement.

If others are off on bank holidays (when they would normally work), those days are deducted from their holiday entitlement.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In my work the apportioned bank holidays were taken on a different working day.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Life gets much easier in a M-F situation when the employer says to the F/T staff "you have 28 days, and I've booked the 8 BHs as part of that, so you can choose when to book the other 20 days", and then repeats the process for all the P/T staff. 

People who usually work Mondays get a bit less choice about when they take some of their leave. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I currently get 25 elective days of holiday PLUS the statutory bank holidays - 8 in England.

I know that my elective will get pro rated to 20 days.  That's fine.  But then if I add the 8 bank holidays that then equals the minimum 28 days.  My question is that should those 8 bank holidays be PAID days because if I stop working on the Monday then that day then becomes unpaid - in other words I do not get 28 days of paid holidays.  OR is the 28 days only for full time staff?

Should I just have the Monday and forget about it?
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    28 days is for full time staff.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your 8 days for Bank Holidays would get apportioned too. 

Your contract should explain when you can take them. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I currently get 25 elective days of holiday PLUS the statutory bank holidays - 8 in England.

I know that my elective will get pro rated to 20 days.  That's fine.  But then if I add the 8 bank holidays that then equals the minimum 28 days.  My question is that should those 8 bank holidays be PAID days because if I stop working on the Monday then that day then becomes unpaid - in other words I do not get 28 days of paid holidays.  OR is the 28 days only for full time staff?

Should I just have the Monday and forget about it?
    Yes those 8 days for bank holidays should be pro rated. 

The full-time people receive 25 + 8 = 33 days.
    Working 4 days a week you would receive 4/5 x 33 days = 26.4 days.
    That total could be rounded up (but not down, even though the convention in maths would be rounding down).

Any day you would have worked on a bank holiday is deducted from your allowance.
    Not normally working on a Monday would mean you actually have more flexibility on when you can use your entitlement.

[Anyone working 4 days a week but normally on Mondays would have less flexibility - especially if Christmas Day were a Christmas/Boxing Day fell on a Monday - or New Year Holiday a Monday.]
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think where I am struggling a bit is that if I were to take Monday off then when a BH comes round, most professions get that as a paid day off.  If there are four bank holiday Mondays in the year (perhaps more if Xmas/BD falls on a Monday), whereas others would be paid for that day off a person who works part time and the Monday is their day off anyway is losing out on that banh holiday day off and pay?????  Would you be entitled to have another day off?  Or am I thinking about this wrong.  Just think of it as a count of pro rated elective days and pro rated bank holidays and use them as I see fit, irrespective of the day?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback