Bank Holiday Entitlement

Options
My holiday allowance is 25 days plus bank holidays. I have a full time job and my working days are Tues - Sat 
Because Monday bank holidays are not a working day for me, am I entitled to a different day off? 

Comments

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 March at 12:02PM
    Options
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • DudleyP
    DudleyP Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    If a bank holiday is on a day you do not usually work
    If a bank holiday is on a day you do not usually work, your employer cannot make you use that day as part of your holiday entitlement.

Thank you, but further your link it says what I have copied above. Which seems to contradict what you said?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,843 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 March at 1:19PM
    Options
    DudleyP said:
    My holiday allowance is 25 days plus bank holidays.

I'd suggest you need to go back to your employers and point out that worded like that and assuming that your employment contract says that you are a full time working Tuesdays - Saturday you are potentially getting less than the statutary amount of holidays per year you are entitled to by law. 

As Syman's link above says ,you should get 5.6 weeks (28 days) holiday as a minimum. 

You get 25 days, plus  any bank holidays that fall in your normal working days of Tuesday to Saturday - so always Good Friday, and possibly Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day depending on what days of the week they fall on in any particular year.   (also any other special ones like for the Coronation etc)

Because Monday is not a normal working day for you, you are not entitled to take a different day as holiday instead,  but you employer does need to ensure you get at least 28 days holiday a year and it sounds as if your current contract wording doesn't necessarily always meet that requirement.  

If your employers holiday year follows the Calendar year, then this year and next you will get at least 28 days because of when the Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years day bank holidays fall but other years you may not. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback