Flight change and alternatives have doubled in price...

Options
Hi all

So Ryanair have emailed me to tell me that a flight I booked this summer has changed to land over 4 hours later than originally scheduled. The new arrival time is quite late and very inconvenient. The flight number has changed.

I can accept the change, or get a refund; the problem with the latter is that compared to when I originally booked, the alternative flights have now literally doubled in price.

Any thoughts as to my options? Thanks!

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The shortage of planes due to the issues at Boeing is well documented. Ryanair isn't the only airline impacted. 
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do Ryanair have any other flights that would suit you better? If so, ask to be moved to your chosen flight.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 March at 1:46AM
    Options
    dlevene said:
    Hi all

So Ryanair have emailed me to tell me that a flight I booked this summer has changed to land over 4 hours later than originally scheduled. The new arrival time is quite late and very inconvenient. The flight number has changed.

I can accept the change, or get a refund; the problem with the latter is that compared to when I originally booked, the alternative flights have now literally doubled in price.

If they propose to move you to a flight at a different time and with a different number, that effectively means that they've cancelled the original flight, which therefore brings into play a technical obligation to rebook you onto an alternative flight (at their expense) at the earliest opportunity, i.e. closest to the original time.  However, it's likely that a court would consider a flight four hours later to be reasonable, rather than compelling Ryanair to offer to fly you with a competitor a bit earlier at greater expense to them - what alternatives do you have in mind?
  • dlevene
    dlevene Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Do Ryanair have any other flights that would suit you better? If so, ask to be moved to your chosen flight.
    Nope, only flight that day
  • dlevene
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    dlevene said:
    Hi all

If they propose to move you to a flight at a different time and with a different number, that effectively means that they've cancelled the original flight, which therefore brings into play a technical obligation to rebook you onto an alternative flight (at their expense) at the earliest opportunity, i.e. closest to the original time.  However, it's likely that a court would consider a flight four hours later to be reasonable, rather than compelling Ryanair to offer to fly you with a competitor a bit earlier at greater expense to them - what alternatives do you have in mind?
    I made an error in my original post (sleep deprivation!), it's actually over 6 hours later.

The alternative closest to my original time arrives there 90 minutes earlier than my original flight, and 8 hours earlier than my rescheduled flight...
  • dlevene
    edited 26 March at 6:50PM
    Options
    Just to spoke to their customer service (after a 40 minute wait - I do love these companies).

The rep advised me that my best option would be to get a refund for the rescheduled flight, book another one, and then I can make a claim for the difference using their EU261 form. He was unable to confirm that I would definitely be entitled to being paid the difference, which is fair enough I suppose, but obviously I run the risk of being out of pocket if they decline...

I have had a look at the notice of rights for the form, but it's not very helpful as it focuses on "compensation" (which doesn't apply more than 2 weeks out anyway), rather than "expenses" (which the rep advised me was the relevant category).

How confident should I be I'll get the difference paid back?
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 March at 10:23AM
    Options
    dlevene said:
    If the flight has been cancelled or delayed more than 3 hours, they will pay out. Article 8 requires them to offer "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity", or a refund.

Don't apply for a refund for the cancelled flight as that gets Ryanair off the hook, book the new flight and apply for compensation reimbursement of costs.

• dlevene
    Options
    mdann52 said:
    dlevene said:
    If the flight has been cancelled or delayed more than 3 hours, they will pay out. Article 8 requires them to offer "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity", or a refund.

Don't apply for a refund for the cancelled flight as that gets Ryanair off the hook, book the new flight and apply for compensation

You're saying, book a new flight, keep the Ryanair flight, then claim for the whole cost of the new flight using the EU261 form?

This seems a bit risky; especially as the guidance also says I'm not eligible for "compensation" if they've given more than 2 weeks notice...
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry I mispoke there - you are applying for your rerouting costs, not compensation.

If you claim a refund, they have complied with their obligations under EU261 and are not obliged to also pay the additional costs. They should do if they have said they would, but it weakens your position significantly should this go to court.

Article 8 gives you a right to a refund or rerouting - if you refund, they don't have to reroute.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Options
    dlevene said:
    Just to spoke to their customer service (after a 40 minute wait - I do love these companies).

The rep advised me that my best option would be to get a refund for the rescheduled flight, book another one, and then I can make a claim for the difference using their EU261 form. He was unable to confirm that I would definitely be entitled to being paid the difference, which is fair enough I suppose, but obviously I run the risk of being out of pocket if they decline...
    Bad advice from the rep.

Once you have accepted a refund the airline has no further liability.
    What SHOULD have happened was the rep making the booking for you. If you make it yourself and keep the original flight (while making it clear that you do not accept the change) then you can try to get the additional costs refunded...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback