RBS reject monarch claim

Options
As the title says, rbs have rejected my monarch claim.
I paid £500 for an outbound flight next year for 6 people in full on my credit card.

On the say of the collapse I phoned the bank and was advised to fill in the online claim form which I did. Today I received the following message from RBS

We have received your dispute request with Monarch.
We regret to inform you that we are not in a position to support you regarding this dispute. Please contact the retailer directly to get this resolved.
For any other queries, please contact us on our number 0800 161 5166. Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 6pm Saturdays.

I have since been back to the site and they now have a monarch specific claim form and needs filling in a certain way. I jave submitted the claim again hoping gor a different outcome.

Has anybody else had any outcomes like this and what did you do next?

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should call them and ask why the original claim was rejected. There's no point in resubmitting the same information until you know their reasons.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leeman82 wrote: »
    I paid £500 for an outbound flight next year for 6 people in full on my credit card.
    All immediate family members?
  • Leeman82
    Options
    No. It was a group of friends. They never asked this information though.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When you say £500 for a flight for 6 people, is that £500 per person or £500 total? Section 75 would only apply if each individual flight was £100 or more.

Also, it's a bit of a grey area, but Section 75 generally only covers the cardholder, not purchases made for other people. They may not have asked about this, but presumably you provided the booking confirmation on which the names were listed.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It might be worth looking at this MSE article to see if your claim meets the conditions under S75.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#exceptions
  • Leeman82
    Options
    They never asked for the booking confirmation. The flights were £500 in total. What should my next avenue be if any? Really can't afford to be losing £500 at this time of year. Ive already had to book alternatives as everything else was booked and paid for.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    They never asked for the booking confirmation. The flights were £500 in total. What should my next avenue be if any? Really can't afford to be losing £500 at this time of year. Ive already had to book alternatives as everything else was booked and paid for.
    OK, so Section 75 doesn't apply. Request a chargeback of the payment from RBS, someone on here reported success with one against Monarch recently but it's not guaranteed.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    Both the CC company and you have to abide by the rules. If the rules say you should be paid out, then push for it and ask why it is being refused. If they show you why you are not eligible, then that’s that, and it doesn’t matter whether you can afford to lose it or not.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Really can't afford to be losing £500 at this time of year.
    You'd only lose around £80 though...surely the "group of friends" will share the cost? After all, if they'd all booked individually they'd have lost the same.
  • Leeman82
    Options
    After reading section 75 I won't be covered as each ticket was under £100. I paid through PayPal using the cc so I have tried that route.

I paid for a stag group so hopefully they will foot there part of the bill if all fails.

Thanks for your replys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport