Smelly hand lotion in the office...

Options
For about a year I've been working in the back office of a travel agent. Two weeks ago we had a new start and she sits right next to my desk. Every couple of hours, she insists on putting on really strong smelling hand cream. There must be a 10 meter radius around her desk that smells of it and it really lingers...

Should I just put up and shut up. Or is there any way to politely address this issue (either to her direct, or the line manager) how might a phase it? I'm terrified of coming across as a complainer or or intolerant. But the smell is really strong and putrid.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    You are having a really bad week, aren't you? Car kaput, place you move to not ready, and now your colleague is using hand cream.

Couldn't you ask her, and just say that you don't want to be difficult but you find the smell a problem and could she possibly use a different type in the office?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not an unreasonable request. I'd ask her to use a fragrence free lotion. You might even buy her some.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2017 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Every couple of hours, she insists on putting on really strong smelling hand cream

There must be a 10 meter radius around her desk that smells of it and it really lingers...

But the smell is really strong and putrid.

She must be OCD. That's certainly excessive. How does she even type or pick up a phone without them slipping out of her hands?! If she's dehydrated perhaps buy her a large water bottle or spray some manly fragrance at regular intervals. She'll either realise or it will at least overpower the smell.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I sympathise as I can't stand strong scents either. I'd tell her straight out and ask her to use something unscented.
  • jonnyd281
    jonnyd281 Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or maybe she has dermatitis or some other skin condition that requires her to use it.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mersey wrote: »
    She must be OCD. That's certainly excessive. How does she even type or pick up a phone without them slipping out of her hands?! If she's dehydrated perhaps buy her a large water bottle or spray some manly fragrance at regular intervals. She'll either realise or it will at least overpower the smell.

Putting on cream every couple of hours is not excessive if you have a skin condition or really dry skin. I have to do this or my hands get really dry or sore. I wonder if the OP could say they find the smell overpowering and would she mind buying a less smelly cream next time. This seems a bit less confrontational than saying 'stop using that cream now' and if she is using it frequently she will probably get to the end of the tube soon.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every couple of hours, she insists on putting on really strong smelling hand cream. There must be a 10 meter radius around her desk that smells of it and it really lingers...

What does it smell like exactly. Anyway, console yourself with the knowledge that hand cream is the worst thing about your work environment :)
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use handcream every time I wash my hands at work due to the toxically drying soap, every couple of hours isn't excessive. Just ask her nicely if she can use her handcream elsewhere or swap it with something less pongy
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Lucy is that you? Its just coco scented, I thought you all liked it :(
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the smell really nasty or just not to your taste? Seems a lot worse things to encounter than a bit of hand cream. I use to use a lot of hand cream as the soap at work was very drying but frequently had comments about the nice smell. Is it a medicated lotion? Maybe the person has a skin condition? I know it bothers you but that much? Maybe get an air freshener for your desk? Get your own hand cream to block the smell of your colleagues one? Maybe she will like it then buy some of her own?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure