PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour.

Options
As a young wife many years ago I was continually running out of things, I was so unorganised. I was forever running next door to borrow some coffee if we got visitors, dashing across to the shop as we had no milk etc.

As years have gone on and Im now into my second marriage Ive now got to the other extreme. A couple of years ago I was trying ways to save on my weekly shopping bill and for some reason I decided to bulk buy for a three month period anything which was not fresh and reasoned my only weekly expense then would be fresh meat, veg and milk. Of course my plan was flawed but it did start me on a path to being paranoid about running out of anything.

So now Im sure that what Im doing is not normal! I have to have everything in 5s or 10s depending on the item. My cupboards are looking a bit like a small supermarket.

I HAVE to have 10 jars of coffee in the cupboard, 5 large boxes of tea bags, 5 tubs of Clover in the fridge etc.
Anything I use, salt, pepper, sauce, oxo, gravy mix. The same applies to washing-up liquid (10), fabric conditioner (5), toothpaste (10), soap, even kitchen foil, nothing is allowed to run out.

If I open a jar of coffee I cant rest till Ive replaced it. Im sure its getting to be a bit of an obsession.
Please, someone tell me its not just me does this.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It IS just you :)

There's being prepared, there's stocking up .... and there's you :)

It's not necessarily "bad" .... don't think that ... unless you're having to move to a bigger house to house it all.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like hoarding. I don't do it (much) with food but I do with other things.

I suppose the question is whether you think it's a problem that needs addressing or if you're happy to carry on? If the latter then it's fine, if it's the former then there are things you can do to change.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It IS just you :)

There's being prepared, there's stocking up .... and there's you :)

It's not necessarily "bad" .... don't think that ... unless you're having to move to a bigger house to house it all.

Well at least you made me laugh. Funnily enough we have just moved to a bigger house. I think it hit me when we were packing and my hubby said 'Flaming hell (or words to that effect) we have more food than furniture!'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not quite as bad as that with foodstuffs (don't mention the freezers LOL) - but loo roll is another story, I get anxious if I don't have least one unopened large multi-pack in the cupboard so always overstock......
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was a bit like that until I moved from a huge (and I mean HUGE) barn of a house into a tiny cottage. Since then I have managed to have things in threes, 1 in use and 2 stored. Every time I take one off the shelf it goes down on the shopping list to be replaced. It seems to work as I always have the security of 2 spares stored.

Ahem. We don't mention the 96 loo rolls in the wardrobe

x.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is hoarding and no it's not just you

I think anyone who's gone from living day to day to having money left each month does it

My mum is the worlds worst, I've bored this forum many a time about tins of tuna and carrots :)

First thing , you are questioning your behaviour , that's the first step

I have my kitchen organised so whatever is opened is in the larder or fridge

I have one back up in the store cupboard

But then that one could be a 4 pack of beans, soap, toilet roll

Go through and write a true inventory and keep that as list on your phone or a note pad. Keep referencing it when writing the shopping list. Be sensible about your true comfort levels. I'm only happy with 4 tins of tomatoes for instance because I use loads each week But baked beans, 2 tins back up is more then enough

Once you know for sure what you have in the house and you look at meal plans, it becomes easier to let go

Don't beat yourself up. There's plenty of us who have been there, many of us still are. The eating out of the stores thread might help you
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Strangely enough I feel happy when I reduce my supply of hoarded goods (coffee, tea, toilet roll, toiletries etc).

I'd much rather have the space these days.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just don't have the space to store/hoard food stuff. I have one cupboard for savoury stuff: has rice, pasta, tins, flour, oil, spices etc, then one smaller cupboard for tea, coffee, sugar, biscuit box, cereal etc. It is impossible to store more than one of anything.

Likewise, I only have a small freezer compartment in my fridge, so again it is only filled with one pack of anything.

I am however guilty when it comes to loo roll. I am currently in a panic as I only have one pack left :eek:...I'll be going shopping as soon as it's light :rotfl:

I must admit, as I don't have a car and live some distance from any shops, being able to store more food would make life easier for me and mean I don't have to shop so often...alas I can't as I just don't have the space.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ... how about space under the bed or in the loft. I can always find space to store stuff :o I just put perishables into plastic storage boxes with a lid
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... how about space under the bed or in the loft. I can always find space to store stuff :o I just put perishables into plastic storage boxes with a lid

.....It's a flat so I don't have a loft. Under the bed space already full with plastic storage boxes with bedding, towels, clothes and paperwork in as I only have a wardrobe.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family