We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Delay Repay Delay

Late last month there was an issue with my train due to a storm knocking down lines the previous day. I finally got to work half an hour late (journey was delayed an hour). I applied for the compensation and was told it would take 21 days to investigate the claim.

It is 21 days later and I receive a notice saying that my claim has been declined. I check my claim and realised the error (Wrong time). I now have to raise a new claim and wait a further 21 days. Any reason why these claims take so long? I'm sure it only takes 5 minutes to check if its correct.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    bfreeman0 wrote: »
    Late last month there was an issue with my train due to a storm knocking down lines the previous day. I finally got to work half an hour late (journey was delayed an hour). I applied for the compensation and was told it would take 21 days to investigate the claim.

It is 21 days later and I receive a notice saying that my claim has been declined. I check my claim and realised the error (Wrong time). I now have to raise a new claim and wait a further 21 days. Any reason why these claims take so long? I'm sure it only takes 5 minutes to check if its correct.
    How many people on your train? A few hundred?
    let's say two hundred.

How many trains delayed? A couple of dozen?
    Let's say twenty.

Using your figure of five minutes per claim, that's 333 hours.
    Assume a seven hour working day, that's over forty seven working days for one person.

Maybe they have two people doing refunds on a five day week.
    That's well over four weeks.

Was yours the only line that suffered in that storm?

Didn't they do well. ;)
  • Well if you put it that way. But most companies of their size can turnaround a refund within 7.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    bfreeman0 wrote: »
    ...most companies of their size can turnaround a refund within 7.

'Most companies'? Which companies?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,603 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper 10 Posts Photogenic
    Definitely not SouthEastern...
    I need to think of something new here...
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    They have been very slow recently. I think it is the move from vouchers to cheques.

I put in 7 from 1 week recently. 1 to south eastern and 6 to east coast

the southeastern came in a week. The east coast took up to 6 weeks despite all being submit don the same date. Even better 2 of us were on the same train- I was accepted and 1 declined.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.