Currency - Best place to exchange?

Options
Afternoon all. I couldn't find a link to anything about this, so.........

Part 1
We're off the France for a long weekend to see the latest addition to the No Mates clan - Paul Francois No Mates, and I wonder what's the best/cheapest way to get Euros. Should we buy some before we go? Get them at the port? Or use plastic?

Part 2
Globe-trotters that we are, we're also off for 3 weeks to Zambia to visit relatives who farm out there. (Obviously they're very lonely, being No Mates). They tell us it's better to take USD($) than the local currency, Kwacha. So..... again, where's the best place to lay our hands on some cheaply?

Thanks in advance
Exclamation and question marks - ONE exclamation mark or question mark is sufficient to exclaim or ask about something. More than one just makes you look/sound like a prat.
Should OF, would OF
. Dear oh dear. You really should have, or should've listened at school when that nice English teacher was explaining how words get abbreviated.

Comments

• BlueVinney
    BlueVinney Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Part 1. We use Nationwide Debit card to withdraw from local ATMs in each country. Nationwide gives good rates and charges no commission or transaction charges. We keep an account live just for doing this. We transfer enough in to cover what we need from our normal internet bank account and take out anything left when we return. In an emergency can do that from overseas but be careful of security if you use a public internet terminal abroad.

Part 2. We use our local Co-op travel agent. They gave the best commission free rates and would change back any we returned without taking a commission so lng as we kept the original receipt.

Enjoy your holiday.
    Nice to save.
  • jeanna_2
    jeanna_2 Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    hi! i think marks and spencers is the best. no commision
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Travelex...they are at every airport, you can't beat the rate they give.. ;D
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    m&s is always good, commission free and always a bit of a higher rate then anywhere else i look at :)
  • tezzer_2
    Options
    where is the best place to get chinese money from as far as exchange rates go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure