CMPass - online payment processor

Options
Hi, does anyone have dealings with http://cmpass.com/

I'm asking as my OH uses Alltunes who have had "difficulties" to put it mildly over using Mastercard & Visa for music downloads.

And using CMPass seems to be their nrew round it.

BUT I cannot find out where they are based as there's no address on the site - only email contact addresses which if they are a UK site is illegal.

Answers on a postcard please icon_smile.gif

Ann

Comments

• rick@findthatfuchsia
    Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone have dealings with http://cmpass.com/

I'm asking as my OH uses Alltunes who have had "difficulties" to put it mildly over using Mastercard & Visa for music downloads.

And using CMPass seems to be their nrew round it.

BUT I cannot find out where they are based as there's no address on the site - only email contact addresses which if they are a UK site is illegal.

Answers on a postcard please icon_smile.gif

Ann

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: CMPASS.COM
    Created on: 12-Apr-05
    Expires on: 12-Apr-09
    Last Updated on: 22-Oct-07

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration CMPASS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration CMPASS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Using a proxy domain registration company means this site is hiding their own name and address. The above name and address are the details of the proxy service they bought through. They are not the details of the site in question.

I would NEVER hand any money to (or deal with) a company on the net that registers this way. You have absolutely no idea who or where they are in case of a problem (or they run off with your money).
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    They haven't had difficulties, Visa and Mastercard have blocked people from sending them money.
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    Using a proxy domain registration company means this site is hiding their own name and address. The above name and address are the details of the proxy service they bought through.

I would NEVER hand any money to (or deal with) a company on the net that registers this way. You have absolutely no idea who or where they are in case of a problem (or they run off with your money).

They're already giving money (and their credit card numbers by the sounds of it) to confirmed thieves, so why would they bother about giving their money to potential thieves?

Wouldn't surprise me if CMPass was owned by the russians as well.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My thoughts exactly Rex_Mundi & weegie.geek, but didn't know how/where to find out the truth.
  • Sputeen
    Options
    This is probably academic as the CMpass website doesn't appear to be working now.

But you needn't have worried. You don't supply any credit card details to CMpass. Once you register, and choose how much you want to pay, then they give you a high-rate phone number to call.

You call that number and leave the phone off the hook for however long it needs to be, 10 mins or whatever. At the end of that time (if I remember correctly) a voice tells you to hang up, or the call ends. Either way, the amount appears on your phone bill. (And before you jump to conclusions, it's the correct amount). The web site then gives you a pin number.

You enter that pin number into the web site that wanted funding - job done.

No credit card details change hands.:beer:

As for the illegality of MP3Sparks or otherwise - they had my credit card details for years, it was a platinum card too. I never had any fraud occur on the card. It's probably expired now anyway. Don't tar them with the criminal brush just because they're Russian.

MP3Sparks (AllofMP3 as was) pay royalties to a Russian media organisation called ROMS, and ROMS claim to have attempted to pay those royalties to the record labels - who refused them. :rolleyes:

Personally, I wonder who are the greater criminals. Go ask any recording artist how good a deal they think they're getting from their record company. Anyone with any talent/credibility usually sells their own stuff online now anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure