🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reputable Timeshare Resale Company

Options
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a reputable timeshare resale company please? Or at least advise me on the general procedure for selling pre-owned timeshare property, legitimately, without losing potentially thousands by paying 'bogus' companies for their service? Since my father's untimely death at the end of last year, my mother wishes to sell their timeshare located in Malta, which they have owned and had enjoyed for over 5 years.
Completely out of the blue, she recently received a telephone call from a company called Global Networking Sales aka World Networking Sales situated in Torremolinos, Spain. The person excitedly told my mother that they had an interested party in their timeshare and wondered if she had considered selling it!
Within days my mother then received some paperwork through the post (along with several subsequent telephone calls) requesting a 'bond' of 1200 Euros. Now, unless this company has a department full of 'Kreskin style' mind-readers (for those who remember him), I am amazed how they knew that my mother firstly had a timeshare and secondly, was considering selling it. Although she hadn't actually mentioned it to anyone!! Including myself!!
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Comments

• Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't use anyone that asks for a fee up-front. Payment on sale is the way to go. From personal research (but not having used them) the following appear legit:

Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket
    Aberfoyle

You can also try ebay - have a look and see what is on there (just search for "timeshare"). Some are private sellers and some are re-sellers. Obviously, as a seller, by going privately you avoid the fees that the re-seller charges but you then have to deal with whatever is required to achieve the sale (advertising, legals, getting paid etc). From a buyer's perspective if 2 identical timeshares are offered, the private seller is likely to be be cheaper so may get more interest.

Some timeshare companies/resorts have websites set up by owners where you can advertise.

check with the resort/company where you own what the process is for transferring ownership i.e. what paperwork and what fees.

You may wish to use a third party to handle the transfer of money (escrow) which is effectively one of the services the reseller provides. These escrow companies will also deal with direct sales.

Edited to add: NB: Unless it was purchased via resale then you/she can probably expect a hefty loss versus the purchase price. If this is an issue then other options to consider are banking the week(s) and exchanging them or renting them out, either privately (ebay is your friend) or via the resort itself if they offer that facility. However the management fees still have to be paid.
    Not even wrong
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,806 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :spam:

The link is the same company you have listed as your homepage on your profile.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family