At Uni, claim benefits during the summer break?

Options
I'm currently doing my first year at University ( a mature student). When we break up for summer, I'm wondering whether you can claim job seekers allowance.Of course I will be seeking work whilst claiming it, but am just wondering if it is indeed possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    nope, ur not allowed too as the course is classed as f/t. The student loan (believe it or not) is supposed to cover you for the summer. You will find that in your third year your loan is reduced, this is because they factor in that you can find work (easier) as you dont have to account for being at uni and so dont dont give you the "extra" for summer weeks.

Jen
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    You can in some cases, if you have dependents or a disability, but otherwise, no.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    acency work would be quicker and more money.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No you can't. The rules changed about 3 years ago, when they realised that students were taking advantage of it.

I'd suggest you just get a job, it won't be too hard as you'll find a lot of the full-time workers go on holiday so most places are in need of workers.
  • qazitory
    qazitory Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10034876

You can, but there are limits:
    Jobseeker's Allowance

Full-time students

If you’re studying full time, you may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday if:
    • you have a partner who is also a full-time student, and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person, and
    • you’re available for and actively seeking work
    You may also be able to claim if you’re waiting to go back to a course, having taken approved time out for a period of up to one year because of an illness or caring responsibility that has now come to an end.

Part-time students

If you’re studying part-time, you may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance if you are:
    • out of work or working less than 16 hours a week on average
    • capable of working
    • available for work
    • actively seeking work
    • below retirement age
    Normally, you must also be aged 18 or over. You must be willing to go to a job interview, even if you have to take time off from your course. You should also be prepared to rearrange your hours of study to fit around a job.
    Quidco Earnings (since Dec 06): £467.75
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    If you can't find work, you might be able to make an Access to Learning Fund application.
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport