Honours Student Loans

Options
Has anyone had any dealings with Honours Student Loans (I have a pre 1998 Student loan) and do you know how can i make a complaint against them as they are NOT governed by the FSA!!!!

Here is my recent contact from HSL, its not very impressive:

On the 13th of Feb I receive a letter from them saying 'To cover the cost of finding you, we have applied a trace fee to your account. Please call urgently on 08448267836 (what are 0844's about?? are they the new 0870'?) to bring your account up to date.

So being a good citizen I give them a call and apologise for forgetting to inform them of my change of address. To which I was informed that I owe them £40 for the trace and that as its now 3 months past my deferment date (9th Dec) i owe them a total of £116.56.

I advise the operative that I wont be paying anything there and then as I will be deferring and by rights i can roll back 3 months after Ive been accepted. This means that I shouldn't have anything to pay unless they are still applying the Trace fee at that time. The operative was not very happy but ends the call and sends out the form.

On the 20th of Feb I get the form, I post it in the early hours of the 22nd. At lunch time I get a nice call from HSL who advise me that i owe them money. I explain to the operative that I've sent the form back that morning so she need not worry. The operative carried on worrying. I was then advised that I need to make a payment there and then. I said I didnt want to make a payment as i didnt want to go through the hassle of claiming back my money after my deferment had been granted. The operative explained that I will continue to get calls and letters from them until i pay, and she could not stop the calls as it was past the 3 month date of my deferment date.

I asked her nicely to stop these calls as i had only just found out about the deferment passing in December and I had done everything by the book to get this form handed in ASAP. The operative stated that her hands were tied so i asked to speak to the supervisor, after a few rejections she finally passed me over.

The supervisor tells me that I need to pay a token fee of £41.36 to stop the calls and letters. The supervisor explains that the Student Loan company is currently taking 4 to 5 weeks to process deferment applications, and by this time I'll be in my 4th month and i will not get that refunded.

I explain that i'm not paying a penny untill my deferment gets accepted. I also explain to the supervisor that as i sent the form back when i was only 3 months from deferment, that it didn't matter how long their administration process was because they must act from the date i signed the form. I then asked the supervisor to consider that my account should be put on hold as ive only just found out about the situation. The supervisor said no putting my account on hold and disagreed that my date on the letter would have a bearing on how many months roll back i would be entitled to. As we dont get any further towards a fair resolution I leave the situation there.

Today (28th Feb) , less than a week after sending back my deferment application I have received a letter from the Student Loans Company confirming that i have been accepted for deferment. The joy is unbelievable so I can do nothing else but call HSL to share the good news.

Luckily I get through to an operative that seems to be on the ball, but he cant work out the notes on the system. The operative informs me me that although the deferment has gone through and all payments have been rolled back I do still owe charges.

I ask him to explain the charges as they haven't been explained clearly before. After scratching his head a bit he explains that a trace fee has not been applied and if it had that it would be £35. The operative finally works out that the £40 is for 2 x £20 missed payment charges (thats 2 not 3!!). The operative stated that i would have been notified by letter of these charges at the time of the penalty.

I explain that im very confused by all the conflicts in information, and that i have not been informed of these charges. I explain that as his company have only just got my new address if they had informed me then this would have been sent to my last address, where i was not living. I asked the operative to send me a letter clearly explaining the total of my charge and the reason for the charge. I also ask the operative to include copies of the previous letters that were sent explaining the forth coming fees.

The operative argues that his company runs a paperless office and he can not send out this information. I then have to remind the operative how confused i am, and explain that im not willing to pay for anything unless its clear what im paying for. The operative finally agrees and said that he will ask his administration department to send out a letter, although the operative keeps on saying that they cant reproduce old letters, so i aske him just to try. I have left it with him and I am now waiting on this letter.

Furthermore, since coming off the phone to the gentleman I have received 2 further calls from the company, requesting money. This is now starting to feel like harassment.

Can Honours Student Loans charge me at all? As i have not signed any agreement with them, the agreements that I signed were with the Student Loan Company back in '97 and '98?

What grounds do they have to take over the administration of my Student Loan?

Can I request that I only wish the SLC to manage my account in the future?

What grounds do I have to protest that as I was not informed of the forthcoming charge therefore its illegal for them to apply the charges?

If it is true that Honours Student Loans is not governed by the FSA how can this be as they are working for the student loans company who are a financial institution?

Also as said at the start who would i complain to about Honours Student Loans and their unfair charges and harassing conduct?

Many thanks and sorry for the long post
Tim

Comments

• bluehammer
    bluehammer Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I too have had hassle and problems with these people.

My loan was taken out 1992 and I have always deferred as I do not work.

I am a full time Mum fully supported financially by my husband who works full time I receive no Social Security Benefits just child benefit.

When we moved in 2000 I informed them of the change of address in writing
    they updated my Husbands Lan detail but mine were ignored - resulting
    in them "traceing" me which resulted in £250.00 being added to the account.

I have lost count of the letters,phone calls it was not my fault they cannot update their system - they are £calling this £250.00 arrears which it is not !

Twice they have sent the file to Debt collectors - who to be fair - have taken no action - they admit Slc are cretins.

At one point I was told in a very arrogant and threatening manner by a
    non english person that it was upto my Husband to pay the amount -
    and that was the law! They had every right to know his Salery.

I will no longer speak to them I have gone ex directory they were so
    pestering me.

They are a terrible outfit just though I let you know that you are one of many.
  • sam007_2
    sam007_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Now I have four student loans only one of which is held by honours, I put in for deferment for all four in feb 09 and received a letter granting deferment for the three the student loans company run. But not the one honours student loans have, I ask for a complaint form from the student loans company about this as, they still not retuned by wage slip which I need to send to moon beaver as I am also in bankruptcy (dyslexic so sorry about spelling) but I been handed by the honours student loans company. Who can't understand the conceited that I do not have a bank account and no cards.
  • jm1489
    Options
    The problem with Student loans is when they split their accounts with Honour Student loans. I had two loans 97/98 and due to an admin error SL got one and Honour the other, which resulted in deferment paperwork every 6 months, had no one told them it all went to the same office? They were adament that I was two people. This then started seven years of problems as their untrained Monkeys made mistake after mistake, which isn't helped by their policy of not confirming information in writing and then denying letters and calls or giving excuses that the call centre Operator I spoke to before had been promoted to pulling toilet paper out of bum cracks!
    I asked for an acount statement, it took four months of calls and then I received 12 copies, all on the same day!
    Student Loans is not governed as LEA had washed it's hands of all responsibility. Honour Student Loans has a parent Company and this is who I asked to investigate the monumental F%$K up! I agreed an account settlement which was far lower than the loans. Sorry can't remember the name of Parent Company but Honours should give it?
  • sunray710
    Options
    OMG, the hassle I have had with these idiots.

It started when my loans got split. I have 5 loans, 1 is from a separate institution. The last 2 are with SLC, and the first 3 are with HSL.

To begin with, after they were all split up, I refused to pay out two lots of photocopying and two lots of postage for the same thing. So I put all my paperwork together in the envelope for all the loans. Only 2 got deferred, the rest I heard nothing. I queried this when they sent me letters about not paying - apparently, even though I sent it all together they would have only processed the first form they came to. How is it, that someone can take a pile of paperwork, have to go through that paperwork in order to review the evidence submitted, and not have the brains nor the common sense to see and process both forms and blatantly ignore one. Madness. But they transferred the info straight away.

The next problem came when they tried to set my repayments at 60months, even though I am entitled to pay over 84. Because they had just split them up, they fobbed me off saying the system doesn't recognise that I have 5 loans, and they do not have the systems in place to do so. What a load of !!!!.

Then they claimed that it wasn't valid because one was from a separate institution and therefore was taken out under a completely different contract and was not recognised as 1 of 5. What another load of !!!!.

Anyway - I've always been able to defer my loans because I earn less. The last few years I have earnt slightly over, but they've graned my deferment because the extra money is earned through unsocial hours, weekends, night shifts etc, which are not guaranteed salary. This year, despite this still being the case, they refused to defer, even when I sent a letter from my employer with it confirming my annual salary which is like 3k under the deferment level.

Basically, I can't afford to pay them - no way, impossible.

So I challenged the deferment and paid nothing.

I got a couple of letters from SLC - the first was dated the day after my first payment would be due (20th April) saying I was in arrears and to contact them within 10 days, which I ignored as I had since sent back the repeat deferment forms.

I then got a letter about 2 weeks later, saying my account was in arrears and to contact within 7 days. I emailed them saying I had returned the forms etc and evidence from my employer - so I left it. I went away for 5 days. When I returned I had a response to my email from SLC saying they only dealt with 2 of my loans, the other had recently been transferred to Thesis Servicing. Who the hell are they? I've never heard of Thesis Servicing. So I politely told the it would be grossly unprofessional if 2 of my loans had been transferred elsewhere without me being informed, and if they own 2, and Thesis who 2, who owns the remaining one?! They never responded! Surprise surprise.

The next day I had a letter this time from HSL saying it was a final notice and if I didn't pay they would take further action. The next day, I received a postcard style notice from HSL dated the same day as the letter, saying that attempts to contact me had been unsuccessful and as I had failed to pay they had arranged for a representative to call at my home, which would be in the next 3 days. If this was inconvenient I should call to arrange payment or an alternative time.

HSL attempts to contact me consisted of them ringing my parents phone number over and over and eventually she politely told them to sod off and that I didn't live there anymore and to remove the number. Apart from the first standard letter informing me of my monthly payment and when it was due, HSL had not written to me at all about arrears before the letter I received (only a day) before my threat of a personal appearance! Thankfully, no one showed up, and I wouldn't have let them in even if they had - what right do they have to pitch up on my doorstep??? That's nothing short of harassment.

I eventually rang them - I paid the arrears on my credit card, told them I could not afford to pay it and that I wanted to speak to someone about arranging a payment plan etc. SLC was quite reasonable - she told me they could only accept reduced payments if I could show I was doing the same with my other creditors etc, and that if I paid my arrears today she would cancel the charges which had been placed on my account for arrears letters, and as my next months was due the following day she gave me an extra week and change my payment date so I could sort things out.

HSL was hardly any help. When I told them, the SAME conversation over again (which is actually what I object to the most - having to repeat the same thing twice over), I was told they do not adjust repayments and if I can't afford/don't pay the monthly payment then my loan will go into arrears, it will take me longer to pay off and I will incur charges from arrears letters, plus it will go on my credit rating etc etc. So basically, I could pay less, but I couldn't actually arrange to pay less, it had to be my own decision and my own consequences. Very helpful.

I then, quite smugly at this point, raised the issue of 5 loans and how they were charging me too much anyway because my loan should be longer and therefore lower monthly repayments. He debated this for a bit, even told me my end date which I had to actually explain was only 5 years and therefore only 60 months. He put me on hold, came back to tell me this was an unusual situation etc (which I doubt as I am sure there are other people who have 5 which are now split), and that it would have to go through the IT department to restructure the loan and I would then get a new repayment schedule. I fobbed him off saying I could probably pay it with lower payments.

I had to pay the initial arrears to avoid calls, and he said my next payment was due the following day but he would put a note on it saying it was being restructured etc so I shouldn't get any calls but to refer them to him if I did.

I haven't had anything in the post with my new payment. Yesterday, my mum got 4x calls (2 in the space of 5 minutes!) from HSL. She did the same as before - I hope they have finally removed the number. But today, I got a voicemail on my mobile from them. I couldn't believe it. The last time I rang, and they were doing their security checks, they asked for my number - I started to give my mobile, but I stopped half way and told them I didn't want them having that number! How they have it, I do not know as I have NEVER given it to them and I would bet they have some kind of caller ID or something. I asked them to remove any phone numbers - they insisted I had to have a phone number on my contact details, but as I rightly pointed out they have my address, and my (junk mail) email address, so if they need to contact me they can do it in writing, and not phone me.

I can't believe how much stress they are causing. Miss just one payment and it goes to this extent - I mean, for goodness sake I've been a month behind on my rent for the last 6 months and they've not even approached me, yet some !!!!!! student loan company threaten to come to my house because they haven't received one payment. I swear, they're all a bunch of jackasses.

And I tried to get the HSL ones to be transferred back to SLC, but they can't be. HSL "bought" the loans from SLC for administration, and they are only still deferred through the SLC because they already had an established deferrment system in place.

One of my friends, who only had 4 and therefore paid over 5 years, only finished paying hers this year ... she had never deferred, but I pointed out that she'd been paying for 8 years! I am sure they have fleeced her out of money. It's all !!!!!!!!.
  • sunray710
    sunray710 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 15 September 2009 at 2:57PM
    Options
    To update further on the student loan saga ....

The good news is I did FINALLY manage to have my telephone number removed, from ALL accounts, so I no longer have phone calls from them. The donkey on the phone tried to insist that it was necessary to have a contact number under the terms and conditions, to which I pointed out in a respectful manner that was a load of balls, as it was only necessary they have a means to contact me, which they do with my address and email. Then she changed tact and said HSL "like" to have a phone number, to which I pointed out in a respectful manner I couldn't give a toss what HSL "like" to have, I don't want HSL having my number. She then said she would have to speak to someone more senior, to which I pointed out in a respectful manner that the previous person I spoke to didn't seem to have a problem removing it from the other account right there and then, so she should have no problem doing the same.

She deleted it.

The saga now is they have structured my loans wrong. I raised the point I have 5 loans and am entitled to pay over 84 months. They agreed this, and restructured the loans - this took them a wapping SIX weeks, during which time I was still expected to pay the repayment amount set on my loan in the interim, including the arrears which had resulted from the hassle with the deferment, but if my restructure shows I end up in credit with my payments then this will be deducted from my monthly due amount each month until the account is up to date.

So it was resolved. I was told the new information, and I paid the monthly amounts, and was to received notification in the post of the monthly sums. I didn't get this. I pursued them, and pursued them. Eventually I got the notification, only to discover they had one loan finishing a year earlier than the rest. This meant one loan had been restructured over 72 months instead, and I was subsequently paying more each month than I was entitled to be paying.

Once again I was back in touch with them, through email. They reassured me they would look into it and get back to me. They did, in fact, confirm there was a discrepancy, but they had to pass it to the IT department again to establish whether it had been structured correctly and it was just a typing error with the date, or if it was in fact wrong.

This, my friends, was NINE WEEKS AGO. I have pursued them so many times, and each time they fob me off. What I don't understand is how it could take two weeks last time to restructure my loans to reflect the extended period, yet it has taken them nine weeks so far to do absolutely nothing. They have put my payments on hold while it's being sorted out - nice of them, NOT, when you consider that during that time my loan isn't being paid, but they will damn sure continue to charge interest on it. Cheek.

I have just sent them an email demanding they resolve the issue within seven working days and notify me within a further seven, else they will be hearing from my solicitors. I so badly want to seek legal advice to see if their incompetence from day one could amount to breach of the agreement - I so badly want to find a way to wipe the floor with them and make them shove it where the sun don't shine.

I have no quarms about paying back debts - I've borrowed it, I've used it, I should pay it back ... what I REALLY object to is when the people I'm paying are absolute f***wits, and seem only interested in robbing people blind - while my loan is not being paid, the interest doesn't stop building each month. Why the hell should they get my money? Paying back debt is one thing, but why should I pay them a fee (i.e. the interest) for doing nothing?

The company is commiting financial abuse to it's customers and I would do anything to find a way to wipe the floor with them.

Any ideas?
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but its really mad me feel a lot better as i'm not the only on having problems with these idiots.

I've now encountered the same problem with them for the second time, all due to changing my bank account. The first time HSL were the only company who "did not receive" instruction from my bank. Ironically, less than 2 years later, they are also the only company who didn't receive it again.

In 2009 my parents were repeatedly called by HSL. I'd recently switched numbers and hadn't updated my details. I was convinced they were scammers at the time, so my parents just told them I didn't live there anymore. However, I decided to call the SLC and HSL to give them my updated details and was then told my account was in arrears. Fortunately my bank had issued me with a copy of one of the instructions earlier that week, which randomly happened to be HSL, so I had proof in my hands an instruction had been sent. I payed up and got them to change details and complained that a) they were the only problem and b) why are they harassing my parents.

They answered a) we get our details from SLC so talk to them, when I told them I had and their details are correct they blamed a "system error" which had never happened before apparently.
    b) my parents were my guarantors and they had the right to contact them if I didn't respond to them when they tried me. I pointed out the t&Cs and data protection laws only make that ok if they've exhausted every avenue of contacting me, and they hadn't done that. They tried to argue they had as they'd phoned me several times but my number was out of service, I pointed out they hadn't written (they had the correct address details) or emailed so hence had not exhausted contact options. I did get a verbal apology.

So, come now and I've noticed the only DD missing in my new account is HSL. Call them up again and they've not received instruction. Given last time I'd already requested a copy of instruction and again have that in my hand. They tried all the same arguments, it comes from SCL, its automated on our systems so they can't have received instruction, its the banks fault, etc. etc. until finally going for the one off system error. They then had the cheek to tell me it had never happened before. I told the CS rep to kindly read my notes of 2 years ago and repeat that to me. "Oh". I told him to note to their system engineers that there is a serious fault, although I strongly suspect they do this to generate arrears fees. He told me to ring them when I changed banks, I informed him that costs me money and I shouldn't have to pay for their sloppy technology.

Grr. At least this time I'm in a deferral period.
    Data protection is there for you, not for companies to hide behind
  • JoeHi
    JoeHi Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    They are currently in the process of taking me to court and I have defended the claim on the basis that they do not legally own the debt. They say they own it because the loan agreement said that SLC had the right to transfer rights BUT the first clause on the same agreement (1.1) says that any amendment to the 1990 student Loan Act will be regarded as the applicable regulations ... well the 1997 and 1998 regulations state that if you take out another loan then you wont be required to repay until the next loan has has come up for repayment and in the exact same manner and repayments etc..(effectively treated as one loan). What this means is that by selling the loans in 1999 (but didnt reveal this until 2004) the SLC/Government/Lord HawHaw (or whoever they want to blame) knew that this legislation was in place and used a contract term to circumvent the applicable regulations - - -This is the definition of an unfair contract term and as such is illegal (and unenforcable) under European Contract law. Therefore HSL should not legally have the debt. I'm just sharing the love cos they are nasty pieces of work that I have been complaining about for more than a decade!!
  • babyboos
    babyboos Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    what was the outcome joehi thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts