DVD Writers and overburning...

Options
Jon_01
Jon_01 Posts: 5,871 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Anyone know a site that reviews burners and has info for overburn ?

I can find info on CD overburn with DVD writers but not actual DVD's ?

I remember reading a while ago that there wasn't much room for extending the space on a dvd but I need to get just a few more meg on a few disc's and there no other way...

Comments

• ABH_3
    ABH_3 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    Of course there is, rerender the files to a lower bitrate, they'll fit on then. Or use dvdshrink to make them fit. Alternatively, you could try creating an .iso image of the files you want to burn using imageburn: http://www.imgburn.com/ (click mode\build to build an iso), as that might work, then burn the dvd s-l-o-w at around x2 speed.

If that dosn't work, then you need to look for some software that supports overburning which could be a problem unless you've got an old copy of Nero lying around somewhere as overburning was something that was required of cdr's, dvdr's are deemed to have enough space on them usually, well for most people anyway :D It's also worth mentioning, that if you overburn, they may not playback well in other players. Anyway, here's a brand of dvdr that may help in your endevour: http://svp.co.uk/product/beall_extreme_extended_124_minus_minute_(4x)_dvd_minus_r_3534#reviews

HTH
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • Jon_01
    Options
    Rerendering the files would work if they were a media file, but their not. I've tried burning at as low as x1 but Nero comes back with an error code something like 'max size exceeded' even with the overburn settings adjusted. I'll try the 124 min disc's on the link, that looks like it might work.

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that there are only 2 makes of burner that allow overburning, LiteOn, and I can't remember the other !!
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    Does your drive support overburning??.. Just because you have a drive and disks that support it doesnt mean it would work and even then other drives might not be able to read the last of the info on the discs
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Are you burnong single layer or dual layer discs? If you're doing single layer why not just upgrade to dual layer?
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• Jon_01
    Options
    sco0ter wrote: »
    Does your drive support overburning??.. Just because you have a drive and disks that support it doesnt mean it would work and even then other drives might not be able to read the last of the info on the discs

Thats the question I'm asking, I can't find any info anywhere on which drives do overburning. I know only a very few do, but about from LiteOn (and I don't know which models), I know there's at least one more but not which !

There's a stack of info on CD overburning, but almost none on DVD...
  • ABH_3
    ABH_3 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    Found this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/overburn-dvd-how-89828/index2.html in which it is sugested:

AFAIK MSI drives can overburn DVD-R but not DVD+R.
    Plextor drives can overburn DVD+R but not DVD-R

it might be a good idea to go ask on the cdfreaks forums if anything has since changed.

HTH
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Thats the question I'm asking, I can't find any info anywhere on which drives do overburning. I know only a very few do, but about from LiteOn (and I don't know which models), I know there's at least one more but not which !

There's a stack of info on CD overburning, but almost none on DVD...

I have a Liteon and a Sony.. The Liteon will do overburn but not much (about 35MB) the sony slightly more(48MB) but the disks will only read on thier respective writers.... I now just use Dual Layer if its going to be over or ZIP stuff that I can. Overburn on cd is better but not much.. Most cds will read an overburn but if its something like music then this can cause stuttering and skipping tracks.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Be careful with over burning .. it has given me problems in the past were the disk could not be read on any other drive, which wasn't a problem until my drive went to meet its maker, sadly the disk could not even be read on the replacement drive (same brand later model). This may have been an inherent fault within the original drive. To be fair though that was CD not DvD.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family