Is an indefinate award for DLA a lot better than fixed period

Because of artharitis, eyesight, and mental health probs I have been awarded DLA indefinately at the low level for mobility and personal care. IS the indefinately award better than getting it for a fixed period?

thanks

Comments

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    A permanent award will save you the hassle of re-applying every few years which is one plus. I believe you are still allowed to apply for a higher rate if your illness get worse.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Indefinite, (that is undated) awards were brought in to replace "For life" awards as some people mistakenly assumed a "Life Award" couldn't be ended even if the circumstances giving rise to the award changed.

An undated award, can if it was at high rate mobility award, be used for a Motability lease and as undated awards aren't generally reviewed for at least 3 years they give you a longer period without hassle. As has been pointed out there is nothing stopping you reclaiming for a higher rate of care or mobility if/when your condition deteriorates.
    Undated awards usually indicate the DWP don't expect your condition or your ability to manage it, will improve, so the chances of your losing your current award following a further claim will be slight.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • penrith
    penrith Posts: 116 Forumite
    I've heard of people with 1 year, 2 year, 3 year, 4 year awards as well as an indefinite. So i was just wonderingwhat is the ''normal'' length of time a DLA award is made for (other than claiming under the rules for terminal illness)? Is there a ''normal'' length of time?

Just curious
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport