British Airways suspends all direct flights to and from mainland China

worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China with immediate effect.

It comes after the UK Foreign Office advised against all but essential travel to the country.

BBC News
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• worldtraveller
    edited 29 January 2020 at 10:30AM
    BRITISH AIRWAYS
    China - Coronavirus

Updated 29/01/2020 08.04 AM (UK time)

Summary

Following Foreign Office advice against all but essential travel to mainland China we have temporarily suspended our flights to and from Beijing and Shanghai with immediate effect, until Friday 31 January, while we assess the situation.

Flights to and from Hong Kong remain unaffected.

This situation will remain under review and we will continue to provide regular updates.

More information

Can I rebook my flight?
    If you are flying between now and 23 February 2020 you can rebook on to another flight operated by British Airways to the same destination. This must be in the same cabin class as the original flight or a lower cabin if available. This also includes any connecting flights that are operated by British Airways.

To make this change please contact us. If you made this booking via a travel agent, please contact them to rebook your flight.

Can I get a refund?

If you are flying between now and 23 February 2020, you can request a refund. This also includes any redemption bookings.

To make this change please contact us. If you made this booking via a travel agent, please contact them to refund your flight.

Important information
    Any commercial policies or conditions of carriage guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the customer.

British Airways reserves the right to withdraw these guidelines at any time.

British Airways
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • worldtraveller
    edited 29 January 2020 at 5:45PM
    Updated 29/01/2020 01.12 PM (UK time)

More information

What are my options?
    If your flight has been cancelled, and you want to travel in the next few days, please contact us to discuss options to be rebooked onto other carriers, where possible.

If you can safely get to Hong Kong, we can also change your flight to fly between London and Hong Kong.

I’m booked to/from China, but my flight has NOT been cancelled, can I rebook my flight?
    We are continuing to review our flights beyond Friday 31 January. Please continue to monitor this page, and ensure that your contact details are up to date.

If you are flying between 31 January and 23 February 2020, you can rebook on to another flight operated by British Airways to the same destination.

To make this change please contact us. If you made this booking via a travel agent, please contact them to rebook your flight.

I’m booked to/from China, but my flight has NOT been cancelled, can I get a refund?
    We are continuing to review our flights beyond Friday 31 January. Please continue to monitor this page, and ensure that your contact details are up to date.

If you are flying between 31 January and 23 February 2020, you can request a refund. This also includes any redemption bookings.

To make this change please contact us. If you made this booking via a travel agent, please contact them to refund your flight.

British Airways
  • worldtraveller
    Latest British Airways update today:

Following Foreign Office advice against all but essential travel to mainland China we have cancelled our flights to and from Beijing and Shanghai with immediate effect, UNTIL 29TH FEBRUARY, while we assess the situation.

Flights to and from Hong Kong remain unaffected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure