Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gregd72002
    • By gregd72002 15th Jan 20, 9:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    gregd72002
    ParkingEye, Scotland, hotel patron only car park
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:53 PM
    ParkingEye, Scotland, hotel patron only car park 15th Jan 20 at 9:53 PM
    Hi,

I read through the novice thread and read that for Scotland the best advice is to do nothing. However, is this really the case? Maybe I should appeal on grace period ground?

I happened to stop at Moxely hotel Edinburgh for exactly 15min to pick up a phone call. Realised that the car park was for patrons only but thought a quick stop if not leaving the car would be ok. Did not read all conditions carefully.
    Got parking charge notice for 100 delivered to my address with pictures of my car standing there 15 days after incident.

I am a little bit uneasy about doing nothing. Is there anything I could do considering I have not parked but stopped to pick up a phone call? I still have not spoken to the hotel, not quite sure on what grounds to complain?

Thanks for your advice!!!!!
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Jan 20, 9:55 PM
    • 26,824 Posts
    • 35,098 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:55 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:55 PM
    When was this because your laws changed last week ? Your stupid MP s have brought in keeper liability in the Transport Bill , did you not know ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Jan 20, 10:03 PM
    • 8,749 Posts
    • 12,224 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:03 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:03 PM
    If you must do something then complain to the hotel. You may well be a prospective customer at some point.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 10:13 PM
    • 26,606 Posts
    • 43,724 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:13 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:13 PM
    I am a little bit uneasy about doing nothing. Is there anything I could do considering I have not parked but stopped to pick up a phone call? I still have not spoken to the hotel, not quite sure on what grounds to complain?
    Would you be happy for someone to park on your drive for 15 minutes to pick up a phone call? Why do you think a private car park is for that purpose? Do you have any idea why landowners are increasingly getting PPCs to infest their car parks? Any private car park is now a bear pit, awaiting the misinformed, I'll park anywhere I like, to hell with what the signs say, I'll do what I want brigade - kerching, 100 please!

Is there anything I could do considering I have not parked but stopped to pick up a phone call?
    That's unequivocally 'parked'. What else would you call it? How would you otherwise define it?

You have 3 choices in my opinion:

1. Pay it
    2. Complain to the landowner (good luck with that)
    3. Ignore it - at this stage, it's not likely to explode in your face as the Scotland Transport Act isn't fully enacted on the private parking side of things.

Sorry if this sounds like tough love, but the more that motorists anywhere on the mainland of the UK understand that stopping anywhere on private land is OK and without risk, is sadly mistaken and is something that could easily cost them 60-100 (or more).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • gregd72002
    • By gregd72002 15th Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gregd72002
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    This happened on the 30/12/2019. So still last year
    • A Lone Hiker
    • By A Lone Hiker 15th Jan 20, 10:29 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    A Lone Hiker
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:29 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:29 PM
    Would you be happy for someone to park on your drive for 15 minutes to pick up a phone call?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Bit extreme. Its a hotel car park for goodness sake.

Hi,

I read through the novice thread and read that for Scotland the best advice is to do nothing. However, is this really the case? Maybe I should appeal on grace period ground?

I happened to stop at Moxely hotel Edinburgh for exactly 15min to pick up a phone call. Realised that the car park was for patrons only but thought a quick stop if not leaving the car would be ok. Did not read all conditions carefully.
    Got parking charge notice for 100 delivered to my address with pictures of my car standing there 15 days after incident.

Thanks for your advice!!!!!
    Originally posted by gregd72002
    Personally, if you honestly only stopped for 15 minutes Id contact the hotel and explain. After all, you may have been in the hotel enquiring about their facilities.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Jan 20, 10:30 PM
    • 26,824 Posts
    • 35,098 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:30 PM
    so do as Umkomaas says above , plus modify your behaviour to pull ovver and "park" stop on public roads that you pay your taxes for, nobody should be pulling over onto private property unless they have business there, its why these people employ parking companies !! to stop unauthorised parking on their land

its not extreme , its the cold hard truth typed out by a regular who has been here for many years like me , helping those who deserve help because they have been sc@mmed , not bilkers

sermon over
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • gregd72002
    • By gregd72002 15th Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gregd72002
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    Thanks for the advice, might try that. I really stoppe only for 15 min. This is what the letter stated with pictures of the car arriving and leaving.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Jan 20, 10:35 PM
    • 26,824 Posts
    • 35,098 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:35 PM
    Thanks for the advice, might try that. I really stoppe only for 15 min. This is what the letter stated with pictures of the car arriving and leaving.
    Originally posted by gregd72002
    but the January 2020 BPA CoP only allows 5 minutes for that , not 15 minutes, plus applies to Scotland, you need to become super aware very quick to avoid more pcn,s arriving because you are very , very naive and unwary at the moment
    Newbies !!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 10:38 PM
    • 26,606 Posts
    • 43,724 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Bit extreme. Its a hotel car park for goodness sake.
    Originally posted by A Lone Hiker
    Sure it's just a hotel car park. But the OP now has a bill for 100. Would you suggest he does it again in the same car park (or any other for that matter) if he wants to take another phone call?

Personally, if you honestly only stopped for 15 minutes Id contact the hotel and explain. After all, you may have been in the hotel enquiring about their facilities.
    Originally posted by A Lone Hiker
    He may have been enquiring about their facilities - but - he wasn't. Like I said, he can complain to the landowner (again - good luck with that).

If you have any other advice for him, please provide, but we never advocate making untruthful statements. We leave that to the PPC community.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Jan 20, 10:42 PM
    • 26,824 Posts
    • 35,098 Thanks
    Redx
    I dont think the Scottish lone hiker realises how many 100 are paid out in england and wales for similar incidents on a daily basis, but given their new Transport Bill for Scotland from the fishwife of the north they will soon realise when they get hit with tens of thousands of 100 pcn,s in the future, especially now its down to 5 minutes to stop , read , depart , with much wringing of hands and wailing

the answer is very simple , pull over on the public road

most people cany stop yakkin on their phones long enough to notice the time passing , even though the phones have a clock on them , lol
    Last edited by Redx; 15-01-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    Newbies !!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Jan 20, 11:28 PM
    • 80,775 Posts
    • 95,442 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I hope the OP realises not to pay the scam, though, and just complain to the Hotel, saying 'can I check your room rates please, but by the way, last time I was here, I got this PCN which has really scared me. What should I have done, filled in my VRN on a keypad? Can you help me get it cancelled?'

Or summat like that. NOT handing over the original PCN - the Hotel can photocopy it.

No need to lie, just be friendly & engaging and present in 'potential customer' mode and the Manager will cancel it with one email. Make sure on this visit you put your VRN into their keypad to stop you getting another one!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter