IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye, Scotland, hotel patron only car park

Hi,

I read through the novice thread and read that for Scotland the best advice is to do nothing. However, is this really the case? Maybe I should appeal on grace period ground?

I happened to stop at Moxely hotel Edinburgh for exactly 15min to pick up a phone call. Realised that the car park was for patrons only but thought a quick stop if not leaving the car would be ok. Did not read all conditions carefully.
Got parking charge notice for £100 delivered to my address with pictures of my car standing there 15 days after incident.

I am a little bit uneasy about doing nothing. Is there anything I could do considering I have not parked but stopped to pick up a phone call? I still have not spoken to the hotel, not quite sure on what grounds to complain?

Thanks for your advice!!!!!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    When was this because your laws changed last week ? Your stupid MP s have brought in keeper liability in the Transport Bill , did you not know ?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you must do something then complain to the hotel. You may well be a prospective customer at some point.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    I am a little bit uneasy about doing nothing. Is there anything I could do considering I have not parked but stopped to pick up a phone call? I still have not spoken to the hotel, not quite sure on what grounds to complain?
    Would you be happy for someone to park on your drive for 15 minutes to pick up a phone call? Why do you think a private car park is for that purpose? Do you have any idea why landowners are increasingly getting PPCs to infest their car parks? Any private car park is now a bear pit, awaiting the misinformed, I'll park anywhere I like, to hell with what the signs say, I'll do what I want brigade - kerching, £100 please!
    Is there anything I could do considering I have not parked but stopped to pick up a phone call?
    That's unequivocally 'parked'. What else would you call it? How would you otherwise define it?

You have 3 choices in my opinion:

1. Pay it
    2. Complain to the landowner (good luck with that)
    3. Ignore it - at this stage, it's not likely to explode in your face as the Scotland Transport Act isn't fully enacted on the private parking side of things.

Sorry if this sounds like tough love, but the more that motorists anywhere on the mainland of the UK understand that stopping anywhere on private land is OK and without risk, is sadly mistaken and is something that could easily cost them £60-£100 (or more).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • This happened on the 30/12/2019. So still last year
  • Umkomaas wrote: »
    Would you be happy for someone to park on your drive for 15 minutes to pick up a phone call?
    Bit extreme. It’s a hotel car park for goodness sake.
    gregd72002 wrote: »
    Hi,

I read through the novice thread and read that for Scotland the best advice is to do nothing. However, is this really the case? Maybe I should appeal on grace period ground?

I happened to stop at Moxely hotel Edinburgh for exactly 15min to pick up a phone call. Realised that the car park was for patrons only but thought a quick stop if not leaving the car would be ok. Did not read all conditions carefully.
    Got parking charge notice for £100 delivered to my address with pictures of my car standing there 15 days after incident.

Thanks for your advice!!!!!
    Personally, if you honestly only stopped for 15 minutes I’d contact the hotel and explain. After all, you may have been in the hotel enquiring about their facilities. ;)
  • Redx
    so do as Umkomaas says above , plus modify your behaviour to pull ovver and "park" stop on public roads that you pay your taxes for, nobody should be pulling over onto private property unless they have business there, its why these people employ parking companies !! to stop unauthorised parking on their land

its not extreme , its the cold hard truth typed out by a regular who has been here for many years like me , helping those who deserve help because they have been sc@mmed , not bilkers

sermon over
  • Thanks for the advice, might try that. I really stoppe only for 15 min. This is what the letter stated with pictures of the car arriving and leaving.
  • Redx
    gregd72002 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, might try that. I really stoppe only for 15 min. This is what the letter stated with pictures of the car arriving and leaving.
    but the January 2020 BPA CoP only allows 5 minutes for that , not 15 minutes, plus applies to Scotland, you need to become super aware very quick to avoid more pcn,s arriving because you are very , very naive and unwary at the moment
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    Bit extreme. It’s a hotel car park for goodness sake.

Sure it's just a hotel car park. But the OP now has a bill for £100. Would you suggest he does it again in the same car park (or any other for that matter) if he wants to take another phone call?
    Personally, if you honestly only stopped for 15 minutes I’d contact the hotel and explain. After all, you may have been in the hotel enquiring about their facilities. ;)
    He may have been enquiring about their facilities - but - he wasn't. Like I said, he can complain to the landowner (again - good luck with that).

If you have any other advice for him, please provide, but we never advocate making untruthful statements. We leave that to the PPC community.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    edited 15 January 2020 at 11:54PM
    I dont think the Scottish lone hiker realises how many £100 are paid out in england and wales for similar incidents on a daily basis, but given their new Transport Bill for Scotland from the fishwife of the north they will soon realise when they get hit with tens of thousands of £100 pcn,s in the future, especially now its down to 5 minutes to stop , read , depart , with much wringing of hands and wailing

the answer is very simple , pull over on the public road

most people cany stop yakkin on their phones long enough to notice the time passing , even though the phones have a clock on them , lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure