Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jan 20, 1:04 PM
    • 2,854Posts
    • 1,056Thanks
    sevenhills
    Pavement parking change?
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:04 PM
    Pavement parking change? 15th Jan 20 at 1:04 PM
    Media attention about a change in the rules around pavement parking. At the moment its only enforced in Scotland, London and Sheffield.
    There was a TV program showing pavement parkers being ticketed last week, the program was filmed in Birmingham.
    Surely anyone driving on the pavement is commiting an offence, so they can be ticketed for that. I have read about that not being posible because they cannot prove it was driven there. How rediculous.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/car-parking-pavement-ban-britain-uk-government-a9096991.html

Page 1
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 15th Jan 20, 1:22 PM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:22 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:22 PM
    Outside of the three locations you mention (I wasn't aware any Scottish Council had yet implemented the new powers they've been granted) the pavement parking must cause an obstruction for it to be an offence. Parking with two or even in some cases four wheels on the pavement does not by default mean that an obstruction is caused.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    Parking with two or even in some cases four wheels on the pavement does not by default mean that an obstruction is caused.
    Originally posted by Johno100

I was surprised watching the TV program last week, lots of room, but she got a ticket. Any car on the pavement is causing an obstruction, its just a matter of how much.

• Johno100
    • By Johno100 15th Jan 20, 1:45 PM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:45 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:45 PM
    I was surprised watching the TV program last week, lots of room, but she got a ticket.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I didn't see the programme so can't comment. Perhaps they parked too close to a junction?

Any car on the pavement is causing an obstruction, its just a matter of how much.
    No it isn't, if pedestrians and any other pavement users e.g. mobility scooter, children's buggy etc. can freely get passed then that wouldn't constitute an obstruction.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 15th Jan 20, 2:00 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:00 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:00 PM
    Surely anyone driving on the pavement is committing an offence, so they can be ticketed for that. I have read about that not being posible because they cannot prove it was driven there. How ridiculous.
    How would they prove who drove it there?

The ticket for driving on a pavement has to be issued to the driver not the registered keeper.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 16,354 Thanks
    Farway
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:56 PM

The ticket for driving on a pavement has to be issued to the driver not the registered keeper.
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    Would same rules apply as for speeding? Ask RK who was driving and then pursue RG via courts if no or obstructive response?
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 15th Jan 20, 3:29 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:29 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:29 PM

Yes, provided the police were involved, a notice under S172 of the Road Traffic Act would be served on the Registered Keeper of the vehicle, requiring him to provide the driver's details. Failure to comply (subject to any satisfactory defence) would see a conviction, six points, a hefty fine and considerably increased insurance premiums.

The problem is that most parking matters have been "decriminalised" and are dealt with by Local Authorities. Whether they would involve the police when driving on the pavement was alleged is anybody's guess. S172 notices must be served "by or on behalf of a chief officer of police" and I doubt any chief officers would devolve that power to council wallahs.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Jan 20, 4:12 PM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:12 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:12 PM
    The problem is that most parking matters have been "decriminalised" and are dealt with by Local Authorities.
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    But itís not a parking matter, itís driving on the footpath.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 15th Jan 20, 4:28 PM
    • 27,683 Posts
    • 39,308 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:28 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:28 PM
    Don't forget that cars can park on pavements in London, but only where bays are provided.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Shaun of the Dead
    • By Shaun of the Dead 15th Jan 20, 5:31 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Shaun of the Dead
    Yes, provided the police were involved, a notice under S172 of the Road Traffic Act would be served on the Registered Keeper of the vehicle, requiring him to provide the driver's details. Failure to comply (subject to any satisfactory defence) would see a conviction, six points, a hefty fine and considerably increased insurance premiums.

The problem is that most parking matters have been "decriminalised" and are dealt with by Local Authorities. Whether they would involve the police when driving on the pavement was alleged is anybody's guess. S172 notices must be served "by or on behalf of a chief officer of police" and I doubt any chief officers would devolve that power to council wallahs.
    I think you should have typed could, I very much doubt the police have ever served a notice for driving on the footpath as a result of a stationary vehicle.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 15th Jan 20, 6:07 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 4,915 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    If the 'footpath' is privately owned unadopted land you can park on it without it being an issue.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    sevenhills

Yes, in the TV program the officer took a photo and then filled in all the paperwork at the station. It did that to six cars all in a row. The would pay his wages for the day.

• sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jan 20, 7:01 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    sevenhills
    But itís not a parking matter, itís driving on the footpath.
    Originally posted by Car 54

PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers) are now able to use police powers to enforce the offence of obstruction.

• Shaun of the Dead
    • By Shaun of the Dead 15th Jan 20, 7:08 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Shaun of the Dead
    Yes, in the TV program the officer took a photo and then filled in all the paperwork at the station. It did that to six cars all in a row. The would pay his wages for the day.
    It might do if they got the money but they don't.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 15th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    Yes "could" is better than "would" (serve a S172 notice). I agree that it becomes a driving rather than a parking matter. The difficulty would be getting anybody other than the LA interested. I quite agree with Shaun - it would very unusual for police to become involved. I was simply describing the mechanics that might be used.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jan 20, 10:11 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    sevenhills
    In my local area a van was towed today, parked totally blocking the pavement. Very unusual.

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Jan 20, 10:27 PM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Car 54
    PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers) are now able to use police powers to enforce the offence of obstruction.
    Quite so. What has that got to do with the offence of driving on the footpath?
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Jan 20, 10:54 PM
    • 14,360 Posts
    • 11,488 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Can't see what good its going to do. Already illegal to park on double yellow lines, cycle lanes, taxi ranks, zigzag lines at crossings etc yet people still do it in their droves because there simply isn't enough resources to fully enforce it.

More revenue maker than solution.

If you want people to do something, you need to make it more convenient for them (and preferably more convenient than the status quo).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Jan 20, 9:49 AM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 7,916 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Parking as the blue Corrolla has has increased in recent years and is a very justified reason for complaint. Selfish stupidity.

Don't harass a hippie, you'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Jan 20, 12:57 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Parking as the blue Corrolla has has increased in recent years and is a very justified reason for complaint. Selfish stupidity.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

My walking boots have very good grip..

I've suggested to a blind friend of mine that we should market diamond tipped blind sticks..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter