Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • itm2
    • By itm2 14th Jan 20, 11:12 PM
    • 846Posts
    • 170Thanks
    itm2
    Whiich types of debts to include in HMRC asset declaration?
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:12 PM
    Whiich types of debts to include in HMRC asset declaration? 14th Jan 20 at 11:12 PM
    I am valuing my late father's estate for the IHT declaration, and was wondering what sort of debts should be included. For example, would I need to contact all utilities companies, credit card companies and the local authority (council tax) to establish what the balance of his account was at the date of his passing?
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Jan 20, 1:57 AM
    • 40,445 Posts
    • 37,949 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:57 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:57 AM
    Yes to all - not least because he might have a credit balance on the utilities.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Linton
    • By Linton 15th Jan 20, 4:46 AM
    • 11,754 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    Linton
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:46 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:46 AM
    You need to contact everyone your father had an active credit/debt account with and get a statement as of date of death. Amounts due at that time would be listed as debts and credits are treated as assets.

Then in your estate accounts you show the payments to balance the debts and cash received to balance the credits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,712Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter