Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SameOld
    • By SameOld 14th Jan 20, 10:42 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SameOld
    John Lewis Broadband/PDCS
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:42 PM
    John Lewis Broadband/PDCS 14th Jan 20 at 10:42 PM
    Recently switched home broadband. Have been hit with charges I tried to dispute with previous provider, John Lewis, instead of sending me the information I asked for (ie how much to pay and how to pay it), they have passed me on to a debt collection agency who have left a message on my phone telling me to contact them. Still not got the information I requested, and am now concerned about mounting costs.
    Can anybody help point me in the direction on how best to proceed.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jan 20, 10:43 PM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:43 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:43 PM
    So what charges have you been hit with? Early termination?
    • SameOld
    • By SameOld 14th Jan 20, 11:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SameOld
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:04 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:04 PM
    Yes. They put the price up mid contract. I was told because of that I wouldn't have to pay early termination fees. But because I didn't personally tell them of my leaving (new provider did, as happens whenever I have changed provider), they say I have to pay them.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Jan 20, 12:00 AM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:00 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:00 AM
    Yeah, that's the problem. You needed to have told JL that you were leaving because of the price increase and then you'd have been free to go somewhere else.

But because you just picked another provider and signed up without telling JL, it'll be treated as an in contract termination and so it will attract termination fees as per your terms and conditions.
    • SameOld
    • By SameOld 15th Jan 20, 12:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SameOld
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:28 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:28 AM
    I must have been lucky with my previous providers that this wasn't the case. And I explained to John Lewis that this a genuine misunderstanding of their communication. They said they would waive the telephone charges but not the broadband so I've no clue how much is owing.
    I have been waiting since mid December for them to tell me how much I owed and how to pay it, but they never gave me this information. My account was closed so I couldn't access it that way and every time I called I just got told that they would email it to me, they never did.
    Now I've got this bunch of debt collectors on my case.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 20, 9:17 AM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:17 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:17 AM
    I must have been lucky with my previous providers that this wasn't the case. And I explained to John Lewis that this a genuine misunderstanding of their communication. They said they would waive the telephone charges but not the broadband so I've no clue how much is owing.
    I have been waiting since mid December for them to tell me how much I owed and how to pay it, but they never gave me this information. My account was closed so I couldn't access it that way and every time I called I just got told that they would email it to me, they never did.
    Now I've got this bunch of debt collectors on my case.
    Originally posted by SameOld
    So how much do the debt collectors say you owe? Why not just pay it?
    • SameOld
    • By SameOld 15th Jan 20, 3:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SameOld
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:30 PM
    This is the issue, as stated, neither John Lewis or PDCS are telling me how much I owe. I have never said I won't pay, but it's kind of difficult to pay when you don't have a clue how much it is.

And I didn't 'roundly fail' to tell them, I didn't understand that that they had to have me specifically tell them. It was a misunderstanding - a bit like you are misunderstanding my post.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    IMO that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say. How can "the customer has requested to migrate this line to us" be anything other than informing Plusnet they were leaving?

If I was the customer, I would follow Plusnet's complaints procedure. If that doesn't get the desired result, take it to whichever ADR scheme they subscribe to (CISAS/Ombudsman Services Telecoms).

I can understand why they applied early termination fees in this case but it's ridiculous that they won't now refund them. It's just a money-grab on Plusnet's part.
    Originally posted by dialdfordave
    It's not really. It's in the T&C's of every company out there that if they raise the prices enough that you can leave penalty free then you have to inform them of that fact. This is so they can inform you whether you can or not and also gives them the chance to retain you on a better deal (win win for me).

Not everybody would be eligible for one reason or another so if they did just let everybody initiate a switch without talking to them then some would be caught out and have to pay ETC's.

Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for your own affairs although I realise that's not a popular view point nowadays.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 5:16 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,806 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:16 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:16 PM
    IMO that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say. How can "the customer has requested to migrate this line to us" be anything other than informing Plusnet they were leaving?
    Originally posted by dialdfordave
    The circumstances of the OP's departure were that an early termination of contract was allowed due to a price increase.
    In those circumstances, the OP was required to give notice of such termination in accordance with the provider's terms and conditions but clearly didn't.

However, I agree it might have been worth appealing this but only if the OP had not left it until the outstanding bill was passed to debt collectors. This would not have been done without several reminder letters being sent to the OP first.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter