Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cicatriz
    • By cicatriz 14th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cicatriz
    Van Advice
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    Van Advice 14th Jan 20 at 3:12 PM
    Hey there. It seems theres some pretty smart folk here on the forum so i thought I'd sign up to get some advice. I am also from Australia and have just moved to Italy and all of the cars are different here so not sure even of the reputations of various marques here.

My budget for a second hand van is about 8000 Euro. I want something like a Sprinter, transporter or an Iveco Daily. The transporters and Sprinters are older within that price range than the Dailies because im assuming they're more reliable? I'm a bit scared to go with Fiat or citreon cause my nightmare is that it will break down and cost more.

My aim is just to have something to travel around in and see Europe to be honest, so economy will be a big factor also.

Any advice? Is my budget too low for something reliable?
Page 1
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 4:00 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:00 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:00 PM
    Not sure what is different about cars in Italy. They have the same manufactures and range as the rest of the world.

Not up on vans. But in Italy you better look for a Fiat
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Jan 20, 4:13 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,159 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:13 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:13 PM
    Not up on vans. But in Italy you better look for a Fiat
    Originally posted by born again
    Why? Iveco is a huge Italian brand.
    • cicatriz
    • By cicatriz 14th Jan 20, 4:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cicatriz
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:34 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:34 PM
    The brands are totally different in australia.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jan 20, 4:59 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,720 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:59 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:59 PM
    Italy is one of the most difficult European countries to buy and register a vehicle in as a non-resident.

You really are best asking on an Italian forum. If your Italian isn't up to it, there'll be English-language ones for "ex-pat" Italian residents.
    • cicatriz
    • By cicatriz 14th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cicatriz
    • 14th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    I am an Italian resident.

I've noticed in a few other thread here the Vans are pretty similar. So any advice from here would be relevant to me.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 14th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    eamon
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    At the price/age range you are looking at then large vans from Fiat, Peugeot & Citroen are the same things i.e. all built in the same factory with the only difference being the badges. Ditto for VW & Mercedes. Ditto for some from Nissan, Renault & Opel. As already said Iveco is Italian. As far as I can tell the Ford Transit has never been a joint venture with any other manufacturer.

Many of these vans especially the panel vans were designed for starship distances. So when buying used condition & service history is key.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 14th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Scrapit
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    At the price/age range you are looking at then large vans from Fiat, Peugeot & Citroen are the same things i.e. all built in the same factory with the only difference being the badges. Ditto for VW & Mercedes. Ditto for some from Nissan, Renault & Opel. As already said Iveco is Italian. As far as I can tell the Ford Transit has never been a joint venture with any other manufacturer.

Many of these vans especially the panel vans were designed for starship distances. So when buying used condition & service history is key.
    Originally posted by eamon
    Somehow the load capacity can vary too.
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 15th Jan 20, 1:27 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:27 PM
    Large numbers of motorhome manufacturers use Fiat Ducatos.
    Large numbers of minibus transfer companies use Renault Traffics.

They and their re-badged Peugeot / Citroen / Opel / Nissan / Vauxhall brethren are ubiquitous across Europe, any garage will know how to fix one.

Having driven both, I would choose one of them - A Ducato is bigger than a Traffic.
    • Goudy
    • By Goudy 15th Jan 20, 2:07 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Goudy
    You want a short or long, low or high roof, fast or economical?
    You want FWD or RWD?
    You want single axle or double wheel rear axle?
    Single cab, double cab?
    Windows in the rear?
    Rear tailgate or barn doors?
    Diesel, petrol or plug in hybrid?
    Cheap spares and a dealer in every town?

The Transit has it all.
    Everything else is just an imitation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter