Gravel driveway pooling water

Hi, we have a gravel drive that has been there since we moved in 17 years ago. During the last couple of months(we have had a lot of rain) it has been pooling water and has turned into mostly mud with a bit of gravel! We don't have the money to get it re done professionally so would like some advice please about how to go about re surfacing. My husband was just going to get some more gravel and put it down over the top. Would this work, or do you have to put a layer of hardcore down first? The driveway was done by the previous owner and I don't think it was done properly, there doesn't seem to be anything under the gravel except mud. I am a bit concerned as well that there might be something else going on here that we can't see, such as problems with drains.

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    clanger66 wrote: »
    My husband was just going to get some more gravel and put it down over the top. Would this work, or do you have to put a layer of hardcore down first? The driveway was done by the previous owner and I don't think it was done properly, there doesn't seem to be anything under the gravel except mud. I am a bit concerned as well that there might be something else going on here that we can't see, such as problems with drains.

Without knowing the layout of your drive its difficult to give advice. Many grass verges around here form puddles, that maybe bad drainage or maybe just too much rain. Its raining again now.
    Putting hardcore down would just prevent drainage, just more gravel could be ok.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the existing gravel is sinking into the mud below (you'll have to dig in to see if it is), then maybe raking and digging about will bring it out and restore it to a position atop the earth below....
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If it's been OK for the last 17 years and is now pooling a little in one of the wettest winters we've experienced in a long time I wouldn't worry too much.
    Get some more gravel
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    There are various plastic grids for supporting gravel, e.g.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRIVEWAY-GRAVEL-square-metres-MEMBRANE/dp/B0122W2N3A
  • Hi, thanks everyone, we have had a lot of heavy rain so hoping it is just that, plus haven't done anything to it for 17 years so due a bit of maintenance! The grid things look like a good idea, one of the problems is of course driving over it displaces the gravel over time and it ends up on the pavement outside so these may help.
  • Keith99
    Keith99 Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I recently put in a new drive way using the grid system, I put hardcore down, compacted it, put a layer of sand down then the plastic grids and filled in with gravel.

It was hard work but it looks good and so far no issues. However, with really heavy rainfall I have noticed a few small puddles (im not concerned) but if it's the mud you are more concerned about then you will need to do something.
  • king132
    king132 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Throwing hardcore on top is only going to end up being a temporary fix.

I did have a slightly more serious problem than yours in that while i've been renovating a property and ripped out the old the front driveway etc. The pooling water in the heavy rain was soo bad that it was making its way past my front front extension (concrete foundation floor)to under my old suspended floor.

Google search French drains/ perforated pipe and you can actually do this yourself like i did.

You basically dig up a trench around 0.3-0.5m deep put a perforated pipe/ sock over it and connect it to one of your front gulleys where the down pipes are. Back fill with pea gravel and mot.

When it rains heavy the water will drain down into the perforated pipe, out into a storm drain away from your property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure