Small Claim’s Mediation + CCJ

Options
A claimant has filed a CCJ against my name and I have been sent an N180 to complete by the court. If I go down the small claim’s mediation service route and, in the mediation, can we agree to remove the CCJ as part of my agreement with the claimant?

I am not asking for legal advice, but I am asking if it is possible to remove the CCJ against my name (providing the claimant agrees) or would this just show as the CCJ has been settled. If this the case, can you confirm that taking this to court would be the only way to remove the CCJ against my name (as the CCJ was issued in November 2019 i.e. over 1 month).

Comments

• JamesHand
    Options
    Please also note, I have already submitted an N244 and the N180 was a follow-up request by the courts.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,920 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

You can ask anything you like, they can only say no.
    I would expect them to want full payment from you in order to agree to those terms.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JamesHand
    Options
    Happy to pay it off in full as it was a petty amount and it's costing me more not being able to renew my mortgage in interest alone!

Just to confirm, what would that process be to set aside the CCJ at mediation? The reason why I wanted clarity on this is that I have read (arguably too much) but that CCj can on be set aside at court. I am assuming this statement would be incorrect if it can happen at mediation?

Thanks sourcrates for your quick response. Really appreciate it.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    judges do not like to hear "Happy to pay it off in full as it was a petty amount and it's costing me more not being able to renew my mortgage in interest alone!
    "

ie credit cleaning for your own gain , the amount should have been paid earlier not when it affects YOU
  • JamesHand
    Options
    I will most certainly not say that in court and the question in hand is regarding Mediation services (rather than what the courts can do). I am fairly confident that the court would revoke the CCJ, however I need to evaluate the impact to me waiting an extra few weeks as being on a variable rate is charging me a fortune (compared to paying the CCJ in full and remortgage).

The question I wanted to clarify - Does the claimant/mediate have the authority to set my CCJ aside as part of a small claim mediation service?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Isn't it a bit late for mediation if the CCJ has been granted?

I would have thought your only option was to pay the debt and apply for set aside with consent ofvthe creditor.
  • JamesHand
    Options
    I have made an application to set aside and the courts have asked if I would like to use mediator services.

Does the claimant/mediator have the authority to set my CCJ aside as part of a small claim mediation service agreement?
  • BoGoF
    Options
    Having looked at the N180 form, I think you are misunderstanding why it has been issued. N180 is a Directions questionnare. Part of it says you should try and settle before court and that's where mediation comes in. Your case has already been settled and the CCJ granted so you can forget mediation and complete the form accordingly.

Why are you 'fairly confident' you would win your set aside. Were you notified of original hearing?
  • JamesHand
    Options
    OK make sense and thanks BoGoF. Correct, this is a directions questionnaire which if we settle through mediations, would the CCJ (that has already been granted) be revoked ....or would this just say it has been settled on my credit scores and stay for 6 years?

They've made a typo with my personal information (which has meant I did not receive any follow up from the courts) and hence feel that I am in the right to get the CCJ revoked and re-issued to the correct information (at the very minimum...which I will obviously settle in 30 days worse case) ...but I want to expedite the situation through mediation and want the CCJ cleared from my files completely. Does that make sense and would mediation be appropriate based on my goal of clearing the CCJ from my record?
  • BoGoF
    Options
    You are not listening......the mediation ship has sailed, the claimant has bern granted the CCJ. Why would they be interested in mediation?

You will need to argue for set aside at court. I would advise you pay the debt now....why haven't you. It won't help your case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure